Author Topic: Is Black a Dischargeable Color  (Read 1468 times)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Is Black a Dischargeable Color
« on: July 19, 2013, 01:01:02 AM »
Just curious. 

In this day of 'no hand' or 'low hand' printing, is there such a thing as Black Discharge? 

I'm going to be doing a small job of Black on Ash shirts and was just wondering.

Silly question?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Is Black a Dischargeable Color
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 01:29:48 AM »
My take is that discharge ink is waterbased ink with the added chemicals required to remove the dyed color from the shirt, to allow essentially the same situation as dark on light printing, rather than battling the issues around opacity and coverage.

So, just use a waterbased black.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 08:30:22 AM »
texcharge says their black must be discharged, but I don't.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 09:16:56 AM »
Another example of a mfg/dist not understanding their products fully. In most cases no, in fact the activator can actually dull the ink. While you can make your own WB black, in this case an RFU is best. Unless you have a homogenizer the chips of dried black PC will make you crazy. We used to make our own WB black for around $3.00 per gal

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 10:05:50 AM »
Just use black water base. I worked at a place once where a certain somebody fought me tooth and nail over this on a large large order and the black discharge turned into an "off" gray. That person had the crew run the entire job. Well, the next week we reran the job with black water base. And the shop lost thousands of dollars.

He had no experience with discharge water base but wanted to make sure I knew who was in charge. And there you have it!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 07:51:05 PM »
Let's just say I entertain the idea of WB Black.  I assume there is cure time in the dryer similar to plastisol.

What about drying in the screen?  I know I've seen some posts on WB but usually just skipped over them thinking.....not me.

I have used Nazddar in the past for stickers and had the ink set in the screen if you don't keep a move on it.  I could probably read up on it, but maybe someone can just chime in with the basics.

TIA

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 01:12:46 PM »
Cure time not similar to plastisol, 2 minutes in dryer at least.
Yes it will dry in the screen but not as bad as flatstock inks.
Peruse the WB/Discharge sub-forum for more info.

WHERE DOES ONE OBTAIN A HOMOGENIZER?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 01:26:54 PM »
Indco is my favorite supplier of mixing equipment, blades, etc. Not true homogenizers but high speed dispersal should get you there

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 03:48:05 PM »
"Bung Hole Entry Mixer"    Beavis and Butthead would have a field day with that website.

Are we looking for a blade type mixer? (seems like the best for breaking up pigment clumps, a razorblade
at 45000 RPM sounds awesome for this)

A Rutland tech was in here the other day, learned some interesting stuff regarding WB inks/pigments.
We'll be sticking with their pigment system and CCI premium base.