Author Topic: How often does this happen?  (Read 2046 times)

Offline jesterapparel

• !!!
How often does this happen?
« on: July 17, 2013, 11:49:05 AM »
An equipment manufacture buys a compititors product (under another name) to do some "R&D".
How legal is this?  Lets say someone has info on this matter, should they turn it over to the other company?

Or is there nothing they can do about it unless the company infringes on their patents?

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
Re: How often does this happen?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 12:01:03 PM »
Sounds like someone we know.......
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 12:06:42 PM »
It's unethical if used to do straight rip-offs, but certainly legitimate to keep up with the competition. (Besides, it's a sale)

A helluva lot more legal and ethical than the millions of attempted computer hacks by the Chinese to steal corporate secrets and University research!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 12:12:13 PM »
So you think Chevy truck doesn't buy a ford or dodge trucks to see why other people are buying them and not theirs or how they did a certain thing they couldn't figure out. Why yes they do. I personally think all companies do this. also to see if any thing infringes on a copyright they might have. My thoughts.
IE .. The Samsung and Apple lawsuit that just happened.

Shane

Offline jesterapparel

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 12:18:57 PM »
So you think Chevy truck doesn't buy a ford or dodge trucks to see why other people are buying them and not theirs or how they did a certain thing they couldn't figure out. Why yes they do. I personally think all companies do this. also to see if any thing infringes on a copyright they might have. My thoughts.

Shane

So should I even bother to let the company know?
It in the DTG arena.

Offline jesterapparel

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 12:19:19 PM »

Shane

So should I even bother to let the company know?
It's in the DTG arena.

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 12:21:10 PM »
you can, might not be a bad idea.  if they bought a Brother to steal some of their patents, they won't get away with it.

Offline jesterapparel

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 12:24:23 PM »
you can, might not be a bad idea.  if they bought a Brother to steal some of their patents, they won't get away with it.

I might just save and print out my email train and give it to the company at Las Vegas trade show.  I'm sure they won't be happy.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 01:00:30 PM »
So what do you get from this? or you don't like the other company, I sure you've never price shopped another screenprinter to check prices.  I agree I think companies check each others product out all the time and I will not get into what china does with all the reverse engineering they do.

Darryl
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 01:16:59 PM by 3Deep »
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 01:03:42 PM »
Sounds like normal activity to me. You can learn a lot by taking thing apart...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline jesterapparel

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 01:49:12 PM »
So what do you get from this? or you don't like the other company, I sure you've never price shopped another screenprinter to check prices.  I agree I think companies check each others product out all the time and will not get into what china does with all the reverse engineering they do.

Darryl
Well, first it pisses me of when people ripp off others ideas when it comes to things like equipment.  This company probably spent millions to develop their technology.  Second, I know it wasn't to see if they where stealing there ideas.  It was obviously the other way around do to the two technologies of the machine.  Third, this company is promoted by others on this site as having a good DTG machine (which they do for what it is).  Also, I would never buy his product after dealing with him on the phone.  Guy was straight up rude, probably cause I was interested in buying his  R&D machine and not his.  Also, pretty sure he lied to me on what kind of R&D was done.

Offline jesterapparel

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 01:50:11 PM »
So what do you get from this? or you don't like the other company, I sure you've never price shopped another screenprinter to check prices.  I agree I think companies check each others product out all the time and I will not get into what china does with all the reverse engineering they do.

Darryl

Are you seriously comparing this to price checking  :D

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »
So what do you get from this? or you don't like the other company, I sure you've never price shopped another screenprinter to check prices.  I agree I think companies check each others product out all the time and will not get into what china does with all the reverse engineering they do.

Darryl
Well, first it pisses me of when people ripp off others ideas when it comes to things like equipment.  This company probably spent millions to develop their technology.  Second, I know it wasn't to see if they where stealing there ideas.  It was obviously the other way around do to the two technologies of the machine.  Third, this company is promoted by others on this site as having a good DTG machine (which they do for what it is).  Also, I would never buy his product after dealing with him on the phone.  Guy was straight up rude, probably cause I was interested in buying his  R&D machine and not his.  Also, pretty sure he lied to me on what kind of R&D was done.

Not trying to make disparaging remarks to those who truly make huge breakthroughs with little help, but I'd be truly amazed if even two thirds of patents are awarded to the person or company who actually thought of the idea.  Sounds like that guy must be one of the 'worst of the worst' in that respect... especially if he is just ripping off someone else's tech.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 05:59:25 PM »
One of the richest men in the world did not invent the software he now is know for, he bought it from another guy for a few K's, but this is not what this thread is about. Jesterapparel I bet the other company already knows whats going on, just waiting to see if any of there stuff shows up on some other machine.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 01:31:44 PM »
Don't forget that Compaq made their money exactly this way.