Author Topic: Filmmaker V3 skipping  (Read 3277 times)

Offline Jonathan R

Filmmaker V3 skipping
« on: July 15, 2013, 03:22:35 PM »
I have been getting the attached glitchs from FilmMaker Ver3 on a Windows 8 Machine, printing to an
Epson 7800.  They don't happen if I send one sep to the rip at a time. But I would like to be able to spool all the seps at once and print them out without having this happen. Does anyone know of this problem?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Filmmaker V3 skipping
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 03:41:04 PM »
same problem here. It happens when the printer has been going for a while and it goes to clean the head during printing. It does not go back to where it was and skips.

Would love to know if there is a way to make it go away. I print one or two films at a time to avoid it. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Jonathan R

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 03:48:57 PM »
Pierre,

I want to thank you I was going crazy trying to figure out what was happening been reading forums then found your today. THANKS A TON MAN.

Now I know that its a printer Glitch and not a software Glitch. We had been using an ASPECT with a stand alone PRINT server, then it went out and we invested in the upgraded FILM Maker from Fast RIP which we never had an issue with.

So this is a common problem then?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 03:59:53 PM »
Pierre,

I want to thank you I was going crazy trying to figure out what was happening been reading forums then found your today. THANKS A TON MAN.

Now I know that its a printer Glitch and not a software Glitch. We had been using an ASPECT with a stand alone PRINT server, then it went out and we invested in the upgraded FILM Maker from Fast RIP which we never had an issue with.

So this is a common problem then?

I don't know if anybody else has the same issue, but we are on a 4800 which to the best of my knowledge uses the same engine as the 7800 so it would make sense. I think that is the only issue I have with this RIP which is absolutely spectacular in every other way.

Make sure you enable the advanced settings and adjust the feed. with it set correctly you should be able to place the films in any direction you want and still get everything to register. we are at +30 for the feed, your number might be different. print a 12" or longer line and measure how much it is shorter or longer than it needs to be. then adjust the feed with a positive or negative number. I don't know what the setting represents, it is probably metric (millimeters per some length, not sure what). A little bit of playing with it will get you going.
For the other settings, use 1440x1440 SD and adjust your ink deposit in the variable dot setup to 2 and 90%.
for super high end stuff, you can run it in 2880 and get almost imagesetter quality dot.

oh, yeah, one more thing I don't like about it. The nesting feature is not really smart so I usually just place everything myself. Hold CTRL key to move the images in the preview from one sheet to another.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 03:53:57 AM »

I have only used cut sheets on my Canon with FM and I did have that break or whatever that would be called happen. It makes me think its not the printer like your guessing and it is the rip. No way a canon and a epson would have the same problem. I have only seen it the one time and I have printed hundreds of films.

Pierre are you sure you want to be using the 2 and 90% for your variable dot setup? The 90% is done with a halftone pattern. When I was trying to fix my films from being too dark the Cadlink guy told me to set it to 1 and 80 percent and the darkest areas were a halftone, darker than 80 percent but still a halftone. Maybe the 2 and 90% is still 100% coverage so the pattern is not visible?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 11:58:51 AM »
yes, our FM does the same exact thing every once in a while.  I don't know if there is a way to fix it.  I would imagine there is a cleaning setting that can be changed through either FM or the epson control panel.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 12:19:39 PM »
can somebody get in touch with Cadlink and get an answer to this? I am out of time to tackle this. . .

pierre

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 01:02:04 PM »
I'd swap out USB cables just to be sure, it kind of looks like a transfer/memory error.

I can't count the number of times I've had USB cables go bad. Stupid mass produced things.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 01:10:47 PM »
Anyone try using the scheduled head clean option under "Printer Status"?  Sounds like that might be why it's there.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 01:12:53 PM »
I'd swap out USB cables just to be sure, it kind of looks like a transfer/memory error.

I can't count the number of times I've had USB cables go bad. Stupid mass produced things.

ours definitely stops for a head cleaning when it happens.

pierre

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 01:15:07 PM »
Anyone try using the scheduled head clean option under "Printer Status"?  Sounds like that might be why it's there.

I just turned off the auto head cleaning in the menu, let's see what that does . . .

pierre

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 01:35:17 PM »
The strange part about this is he has 2 films with the Glitch in the same spot (registered glitch?). That can't be a auto head cleaning issue. Its in the rip some where. Don't hve time today to call Cadlink. I have only had it happen ounce so its not really an issue I can give much feedback on to them anyways.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 01:42:28 PM »
The strange part about this is he has 2 films with the Glitch in the same spot (registered glitch?). That can't be a auto head cleaning issue. Its in the rip some where. Don't hve time today to call Cadlink. I have only had it happen ounce so its not really an issue I can give much feedback on to them anyways.

it happens when you have two prints side by side on the film. I've seen it before. . .

pierre

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 02:10:21 PM »
doesn't have to be, i think it happens almost a set distance from the start of the print.  I've had them line up before.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 02:21:07 PM »
How often is this happening for you guys? I have only seen it once.