Author Topic: Printing on coaches jackets  (Read 4121 times)

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Printing on coaches jackets
« on: July 08, 2013, 10:37:50 PM »
We need to print on some coaches jackets, they have the nylon outer shell and lining. The cheapo ones you used to see everywhere from Jerzeys(these are from Augusta). We have never really done larger orders of them so smoothing them out and printing them on the manual was never a issue. Well, we have to do a bunch of them now, 1color. Any advice for running them on the auto without a jacket hold down?
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Printing on coaches jackets
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 08:28:35 AM »
use a decent amount of glue and make sure the backs are wrinkle free.  They should print fine, just don't over heat them.

You might want to run the bad ones through the oven at a low temp to flatten the nylon out...just before printing them.

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 09:09:44 AM »
I am no help... but what ink are you using? I have to print some of those too? I was debating the silicone ink from nazdar. Or should I use a normal white with nylabond?
Thanks,
matt
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 09:21:37 AM »
i tested the silicone ink on some poly woven jackets and it peeled off.  I would go either One Step Nylon or use nylobond.

I actually have been using some All-purpose Vinyl ink on jackets and it works well, gives a really matte finish, but I haven't tested white ink yet, mostly colors.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 09:39:16 AM »
We have always just used nylabond, guess that is what I was going to use, hadn't given much thought to it(can you tell). I was just dreading the time involved in "de-wrinkling" 900+ jackets :o
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 10:12:36 AM »
Brad his problem is the lining. With out a hold down it is going to be frustrating to say the least. Every print will lift the outer shell and probably smear. I would bite the bullet and print them all manual with a hold down.
"No man is an island"

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 10:25:40 AM »
I would do what Ink said print them on a manual, I would think an auto with out a hole down would toss them off, but if you do try an run them on the auto I would preheat them with the flash first and print, even on a manual we would always preheat then print.  If you figure out how to run them on an auto without a hold down by all means let all know.

Darryl
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 10:49:21 AM by 3Deep »
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 10:33:32 AM »
Probably not a bad idea.  i have printed them before on the auto without a jacket hold down.  Single stroke, and a good white and you should be fine, even with the lining isue.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 01:04:22 PM »
Probably not a bad idea.  i have printed them before on the auto without a jacket hold down.  Single stroke, and a good white and you should be fine, even with the lining isue.

How did you handle the lining and getting it to no be wrinkled/bunched up?
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 01:14:34 PM »
You can use bull clips to tension the material by clamping the jacket under the platen, but that is very time consuming. If you can get away without PFP, I'd look at building a hold-down for your manual, it can be done on top of the platen with a raised board and embroidery hoop or even ring of plywood.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 01:48:06 PM »
There won't be any PFP. These are 1 colors, 1 hit and they are done. Just wanted to know if there are any tricks to getting the lining to lay smooth quickly.
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 02:07:28 PM »
Take a sheet of 3/8-5/8 plywood, MDF or what-have-you, using a jig saw cut the middle out of it 2" bigger all-around than your print size. Sand the cut edges and double-sided tape it to your platen with the print centered on it and normal off-contact etc. take the outside ring of the board and sand and masking tape the cut edge.

put the jacket on the platen over the board center and position it for the print, take the outside ring of the plywood and push it down to clamp the jacket in place. print, lather, rinse, repeat.

Depending on how thick the jacket & lining are you may need more clearance than the jig-saw blade left, so you may need to sand the outside ring of the plywood a little more to give the right fit.

here is a little more complex home-brew design, same principle though:

http://www.screenprince.com/custom/mytoolsofthetrade/jacketholddown.htm

For 900 pcs. spending the time to build a good one should pay off on this job alone.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Action1

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 03:34:35 PM »
Brad his problem is the lining. With out a hold down it is going to be frustrating to say the least. Every print will lift the outer shell and probably smear. I would bite the bullet and print them all manual with a hold down.

Greetings TCT -

If you do decide that a hold down is the way to go - We have these in stock. The one that we send you for your manual can also work on your automatic. Here's the page if you are interested -
http://www.actionengineering.com/Cat-24-1-502/Specialty_Application_Pallets.htm

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 04:51:56 PM »

Greetings TCT -

If you do decide that a hold down is the way to go - We have these in stock. The one that we send you for your manual can also work on your automatic. Here's the page if you are interested -
http://www.actionengineering.com/Cat-24-1-502/Specialty_Application_Pallets.htm

How are you guys able to make them work for a manual and a auto?

Take a sheet of 3/8-5/8 plywood, MDF or what-have-you, using a jig saw cut the middle out of it 2" bigger all-around than your print size. Sand the cut edges and double-sided tape it to your platen with the print centered on it and normal off-contact etc. take the outside ring of the board and sand and masking tape the cut edge.

put the jacket on the platen over the board center and position it for the print, take the outside ring of the plywood and push it down to clamp the jacket in place. print, lather, rinse, repeat.

Depending on how thick the jacket & lining are you may need more clearance than the jig-saw blade left, so you may need to sand the outside ring of the plywood a little more to give the right fit.

here is a little more complex home-brew design, same principle though:

http://www.screenprince.com/custom/mytoolsofthetrade/jacketholddown.htm

For 900 pcs. spending the time to build a good one should pay off on this job alone.

Thanks Ink, we already have a hold down for our manual, just didn't want to have to print that many jackets on the manual!
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 05:01:17 PM »
On the auto with a second person helping load/clamp you might get away with decent speed. Bull clips are your friend. it's just jackets are an expensive thing to have any rejects on.

If it's a design with some big open areas of ink coverage I'd just go with the jacket hold down on the manual.
Wishin' I was Fishin'