Author Topic: Florida Sport FIshing Magazine Cover Entry  (Read 2667 times)

Offline sullyman

• Verified/Junior
Florida Sport FIshing Magazine Cover Entry
« on: June 17, 2013, 02:01:22 PM »
Hey Guys!,

Just felt the need to post a recent personal piece that I created for the Florida Sport Fishing Magazine cover contest. They just annonced the cover and I didn't make it but I had a lot of fun making the design. Had a few minor break-throughs while creating it. In the end run that's what it's all about having fun and learning more! Hope you dig ;)

-Sully

John Sullivan / Freelance Illustrator - StoreYoutubeBehanceEmail Me

Offline T Shirt Farmer

Re: Florida Sport FIshing Magazine Cover Entry
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 05:04:30 PM »
That is a very nicely done piece of marine life art.
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 07:20:44 PM »
Very cool! Well done.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Florida Sport FIshing Magazine Cover Entry
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 09:21:38 PM »
Nice work

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline sullyman

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 12:40:16 AM »
Thanks everyone!

I actually got a look at some of the runners up... I think the mag is a little biased towards traditional mediums. I don't think digital painting gets as much respect as it should. Yeah, it takes time to dry paints but tools are tools and traditional approaches are the same no matter how you slice it. Even the masters used short cut methods! lol
John Sullivan / Freelance Illustrator - StoreYoutubeBehanceEmail Me

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 01:33:55 PM »
Looks very well done. Professional in anyones definition, but yea,  I've seen those cover competitions. Pretty tough

They do lean more towards traditional painting methods (as well as artist that are more known for marine life "paintings" in around the Florida fishing scene. I think the Mag wants that connection for the readers to be able to recognize an artist name or style from their area.

I live here in Central Fl. When you look at all of the candidates, they all seem to be "from" and participate in and around those scenes. You will see them at events and what not. The artist street shows and fishing shows etc.

One of our printer members here had been recently looking for some art like that to use  for a fishing tourney for his family member. I think it was for a small sublimation order but you could sell him a use of that.  Contact Matt aka balloonguy (member here).

Nothing wrong with yours tho. Great job!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 01:37:21 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 07:30:01 PM »
killer stuff
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 06:05:03 AM »
Nice work Sully. Reminds me of the Wyland and Guy Harvey stuff we used to print back in the 80s. Why not turn it to t-shirt art assuming you have a market?