Author Topic: Art question  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Grumpy Ole Artist

• Eschew obfuscation
Art question
« on: June 17, 2013, 09:45:27 AM »
Need a concensus...what would y'all say is the appropriate target viewing distance for a tee shirt design? Working on a job for a local 5k run, the client wants a snarl of leftover Christmas lights chasing a runner. Have sketch out for approval, and have some decisions to make prior to blackline to make it "read" well at (?) feet...Feedback ?
Humor is the unexpected juxtaposition of incongruities.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Art question
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 11:30:07 AM »
I've heard a few variations if this.

3', 3 seconds,  or,   10' 10 seconds.

That's an idea of how close people need to be to a print to read/view it and understand it and make a purchase.

If you have to look at it closer or longer, then it's not coming across fast enough for the viewer to stay interested. So they say. I'm sure there are exceptions to this.

You aren't really asking for design feedback but let me add in, that I like this a lot. Very interesting fun design. I would make the people larger and pull them down to the bottom of the Max print area so the lights guy is still looking down on them. You can do that in photoshop easy enough. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:34:39 AM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 11:32:08 AM »
That's a great question. I've always tried to treat them like little signs that are viewed from a few feet away and recognizable/readable in one or two seconds. I'd say no more than 10 feet at the most.

Your concept will work if your finished art style is bold and clean.

Remember the husbands out there in the industry, we get busted all the time looking at shirts. If it happens to be worn by a pretty girl, we have splaining to do if we stare too long.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 11:38:25 AM »
I get most of my comments on my daily shirts at about 3-6' but don't really know at what distance the "commenter" noticed me. It is most often on a walk or hike, passing another hiker.

The distance of the width of the work table stations in an Apple store appears ideal, as that worked this Sunday!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Grumpy Ole Artist

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 12:06:45 PM »
Thanks, all ! Appreciate your having taken the time. Client just popped in to give feed back...His "better half" feels that the eyes are "too scary"...Kinda the point, but I'll just have to break out the kneaded eraser and make some sort of revisions.... They are ALWAYS right! LOL! I quit buying concert/retail tees YEARS ago (Shortly after the "read a newspaper through em/one wash, and they're a juvenile size" Black Pakistani tees went away) I simply CAN'T reconcile the outlay of 30+ sheckles when I know what they have in em. Come to think of it, I kinda quit going to concerts entirely, for the same reason...I can't think of anyone I would be willing to pay modern ticket prices for...Command Z, I guess all of us "in the biz" lean in, and try to "figure out how they DID that"...my ex NEVER understood that...I miss the cheap tees, and cheap concerts...her, not so much...LOL! Thanx again, all! -Grumpy-
Humor is the unexpected juxtaposition of incongruities.