Author Topic: Input on used retensionables  (Read 14697 times)

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Input on used retensionables
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 03:59:43 PM »
I understand the cleaning argument but at a third of the cost for used to me it makes no sense to buy new. Maybe I'm just cheap. Like eb said just flip the rollers an they are fine or just pry the channel back out. Knicks and burrs can easliy be cleaned up with a file and emory cloth.

This. Plus I'm pretty sure the older frames are a lot more robust than the newer lighter M3's but I could be wrong there. For me, I don't see a scenario where I'd buy new frames lol even if I won the lottery. Maybe I'm cheap, too!

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 04:05:15 PM »
Sometimes new doesn't work out either though. IE Pocono. In fact many times "used" means you know
it works.

If you ding a channel, flip the whole frame around and stretch from the other side. Only one side has enough
tension on it to pop a screen from a burr.

There's a reputable broker near me that has 30 - 23x31's for $25 each.

I'm lucky in that the dude that sold me my presses has (or had, now) 300+ 25x36 with the MHM pins
already on. I swear he used them once then stored them.

SPSI Has like 100 used - 23x33M's with the MHM pins already in them, $45 or something like that.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 04:43:36 PM »
Hey I'm right there with all you cheap asses but, when running high tension or thin thread mesh, it can be a real odyssey getting channels on used frames up to par.  That's all I'm saying. I'm sure you still save some bread on the used frames, even after all the cleaning and sanding but it's probably not as much as you think.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 04:52:41 PM »
The frames I use are in the $80-90 range new. Add the MHM pins and we're over $100 each each easy.

Not to mention my own little odyssey with Mr. Newman.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 08:00:19 PM »
Brandt just cause you buy new don't mean you won't have problems, buying anything unseen is a problem new or used, I bought new stuff and then open the box and bang it's already broken right in the box.  I got 4 reten frames and they as tight today as the day I got them, only knock on those are they can get odd size when you set them up with mesh unless your careful.

Darryl
Well the chance that something you buy used is not OK is much higher then for a new unused product. I think it has something to do with it being used ;)
I personally would not buy used ones either as I`m just not the second hand kind of person. And I totally agree with Brandt, 4-6 weeks delivery time for Roller Frames is almost ridicules. But then we had the positive experience of getting every order for Roller Frames shipped earlier. You just have to push push push.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »

But I wont do used.  I dont want someone else's problems, no matter the discount.

I feel that way about many things, but with Newmans you can use ones that have been stripped of powder coating, dented, scratched, etc. Some of my favorite screens looked like they had been used for scaffolding. I was maybe 2nd or 3rd owner. They held tension perfectly. Those things are built like hammers.

One note: avoid ones that have been permanently taped with that Polyken white tape, unless you want to invest a little time cleaning them up.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 10:04:43 PM »
I prefer standard sized frames, just incase I get a roller master one day.

Talking about delivery time...... The ship finally arrived at the port. I ordered them since January..... Not complaining because my supplier gave me free shipping from USA to Indonesia.

Offline noiseloops

• Verified/Junior
Input on used retensionables
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 10:46:22 PM »
@abchung ahem2, some free shipping to Singapore please? Hahahaha

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2013, 01:12:17 PM »

But I wont do used.  I dont want someone else's problems, no matter the discount.

I feel that way about many things, but with Newmans you can use ones that have been stripped of powder coating, dented, scratched, etc. Some of my favorite screens looked like they had been used for scaffolding. I was maybe 2nd or 3rd owner. They held tension perfectly. Those things are built like hammers.

One note: avoid ones that have been permanently taped with that Polyken white tape, unless you want to invest a little time cleaning them up.

I'd agree on the old ones--have some newer MZX-UL's that don't seem to hold up quite as well as the M3's and older MZX's, but are still OK for sure.  I'm pretty sure I'll get more than my ten bucks each out of them. 

Ink and tape residue come off pretty easy with steel wool or a scotchbrite pad and some press wash. 
Good for cleaning the channels out too.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 01:14:52 PM by ScreenFoo »

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2013, 01:46:19 PM »
I got 24 used ones last year for my manual.
I guess I got lucky. Paid around $21 each and they were almost as new. No issues. It took me around 2-3 hours to clean them.

Crap.  No wonder I got mine for $13 each.  Came with a lot of elbow grease and chemicals, lol.  And I stopped cleaning at 12.  Someday I'll get around to the last 8.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2013, 07:47:31 PM »
After buying somw new MZXs and a bunch of used older ones, I think the best they ever made were the blue anodized ones. They don't have the knicks in the powdercoating that the blue powdercoated ones sometimes did, and are more robust than the new ultralights.
Worst retensionables I have are a handful of the Chinese Sefar knockoffs. Heavy as hell, with bolts that are barely high enough to grab with a socket, and an occasional stripped tube end.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2013, 10:34:03 PM »
Glad to know that Tom.  The ones I have are the blue anodized ones.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 01:28:17 PM »
I have a bunch of the blue "anodized" (Don Newman spoke with me once and mentioned they actually aren't anodized but some crazy type of industrial paint or something) and they are very solid, will likely outlast my career doing this. Only flaw on those is the little metal edges/lips at the end of the channel where the lock strips exit are soft and break off if previous owners banged them around. 

I just was quoted 115.95 per for an unassembled 25x31 M3 with pin locks direct from stretch....geez, guess I need to get back on the cheap wagon and look for used.  We use 25" wide but can't go longer than 31" long due to the GT-6's size limitations.  I'll have to hunt down both roller sizes and make some franken frames.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 01:49:37 PM »
Sometimes new doesn't work out either though. IE Pocono. In fact many times "used" means you know
it works.

Ya sure there is a exception to every rule.  Tons of Pocono screens here and they didn't stand behind the one order, sure its possible.  SAME is possible from buying a bunch of used screens sight unseen from a broker or a shady shop going out of business.  Ill take my risk on new.  Not even a little interested in used screens. 

Brandt just cause you buy new don't mean you won't have problems, buying anything unseen is a problem new or used, I bought new stuff and then open the box and bang it's already broken right in the box.  I got 4 reten frames and they as tight today as the day I got them, only knock on those are they can get odd size when you set them up with mesh unless your careful.

Darryl

Where did I say or why would you assume that I would think new stuff can't have problems.  I certainly never said such.  Don't assume.  I said I wont do used.  Don't read into it. 

Well the chance that something you buy used is not OK is much higher then for a new unused product. I think it has something to do with it being used ;)
I personally would not buy used ones either as I`m just not the second hand kind of person. And I totally agree with Brandt, 4-6 weeks delivery time for Roller Frames is almost ridicules. But then we had the positive experience of getting every order for Roller Frames shipped earlier. You just have to push push push.

Exactly my opinion. 

Ill put a order in at some point and hope for faster. 

Thanks for the advice, but doesn't change my opinion.  I would not do used ones, period
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 03:52:03 PM »
Hey Brandt on a lighter note what year model is that truck you just got?

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!