Author Topic: Just a new picture of the current state of my Pocono Screens mesh  (Read 11932 times)

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Just a new picture of the current state of my Pocono Screens mesh
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2013, 11:30:21 AM »
Frogg and Darryl, Don't you guys have a local supplier that will stretch or re-stretch mesh for you? If you do, AA has good deals on blank frames. That is what we buy just the blank frames, but we stretch our screens in house so we have the luxury of throwing on whatever mesh we need. I know that doesn't help you, guess all I was saying is if you have a local place to stretch them for you, you may come out ahead!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2013, 11:32:41 AM »
Like it has been said several times here the best surface for mesh and glue is one profiled with a bead blast.
I think a more accurate description would be a "the best surface for mesh and glue is a Textured Surface" How that is achieved is less relevant.
Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2013, 11:40:50 AM »
Like it has been said several times here the best surface for mesh and glue is one profiled with a bead blast.
I think a more accurate description would be a "the best surface for mesh and glue is a Textured Surface" How that is achieved is less relevant.

In blasting the size of the grit is determines the "profile" of the texture. So my description is accurate.
Moving through the ranks to becoming a Pipe Fitter I spent about a year working for US Filters, I spent most of my days crawling inside massive steel and stainless tanks and blasting them with 50 grit steel shot. Some like stainless required a different profile and we would either switch the steel grit to a higher grit or use black beauty.
"No man is an island"

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2013, 11:50:48 AM »
Frogg and Darryl, Don't you guys have a local supplier that will stretch or re-stretch mesh for you? If you do, AA has good deals on blank frames. That is what we buy just the blank frames, but we stretch our screens in house so we have the luxury of throwing on whatever mesh we need. I know that doesn't help you, guess all I was saying is if you have a local place to stretch them for you, you may come out ahead!

Yep, I have Dynamic, about an hour away in Hayward (SF Bay Area), but they send 'em out to someone else in SoCal.
So, shipping is less and quicker than cross country, but still not an instant exchange like they offer in their Rancho Cucamunga location (ain't that a great city name?)

Since I quit keeping screens for permanent use, I have plenty of frames. Sometimes though, with some folks, the price difference between new and re-stretch is negligible,
A good re-stretch with good mesh at a good price is a great asset. Add local, and it's gold (well, maybe copper according to the roller crowd  :) )
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 12:37:50 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2013, 11:54:23 AM »

Yep, I have Dynamic, about an hour away in Hayward (SF Bay Area), but they send 'em out to someone else in SoCal.
So, shipping is less and quicker than cross country, but still not an instant exchange like they offer in their Rancho Cucamunga location (ain't that a great city name?)

Since I quit keeping screens for permanent use, I have plenty of frames. Sometimes though, with some folks, the price difference between new and re-strtech is negligable,
A good re-stretch with good mesh at a good price is a great asset. Add local, and it's gold (well, maybe copper according to the roller crowd  :) )

I am waiting for the statics to come back like neon colors, and afros! :D
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2013, 11:56:18 AM »

In blasting the size of the grit is determines the "profile" of the texture. So my description is accurate.
Moving through the ranks to becoming a Pipe Fitter I spent about a year working for US Filters, I spent most of my days crawling inside massive steel and stainless tanks and blasting them with 50 grit steel shot. Some like stainless required a different profile and we would either switch the steel grit to a higher grit or use black beauty.
Ok... I’m talking about restretching aluminum frames... Which I have done thousands of... A clean Textured surface is ideal; the method of texture application is not relevant to the finished product...  ;)

I have 20 or so frames stretched by some local competition (Not Xenon, they know what they are doing). The "said stretcher" used a grinder, but only lightly scratched the surface of the aluminum. They all de-laminated just like what happened to shellyky. They didn’t properly "Texture" the surface.
Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2013, 02:15:09 PM »
Actually, I am of the opinion that a textured and primed surface is the best for mesh and glue application--like they supposedly do at Pocono.

Seems the mechanics have failed them at some point in the process, but it works VERY well if done properly...

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2013, 03:47:19 PM »
Shelly,

Are those frames super light? I got some screen about a year ago that were super light and the mesh did the same thing. Did they have a sticker on the corner with www.gold-up.com on them? I am sure if they are reselling them they would take the sticker off.  They are some Chinese crap that a few suppliers are selling. I bought about 15 of them because of some jobs and I lost all but 3 in the first 2 weeks. Same thing as your picture. Usually after reclaim and they sat over night.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2013, 08:03:42 PM »
Actually, I am of the opinion that a textured and primed surface is the best for mesh and glue application--like they supposedly do at Pocono.

Seems the mechanics have failed them at some point in the process, but it works VERY well if done properly...
I bet it`s a glue issue. That happened to us  as well. And we managed to single out the glue as the main problem, for some reason it was not suitable to withstand solvents. After we started to stretching  frames in house the problem stopped as we made sure to use the right glue for the right mesh count.

Offline shellyky

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2013, 08:36:30 AM »
Shelly,

Are those frames super light? I got some screen about a year ago that were super light and the mesh did the same thing. Did they have a sticker on the corner with www.gold-up.com on them? I am sure if they are reselling them they would take the sticker off.  They are some Chinese crap that a few suppliers are selling. I bought about 15 of them because of some jobs and I lost all but 3 in the first 2 weeks. Same thing as your picture. Usually after reclaim and they sat over night.

they are about the same weight as the rest of my 23x31's, not too terrible light or heavy....didnt see any sticker HOWEVER the alum had sharp corners on all sides, and all my previous pocono screens had slight rounding...the remeshes arrived with BLUE glue instead of GREEN.