Artist > ART Pricing

Cost for Freelance Art

(1/3) > >>

dlac:
I just thought I would come here and whine a little... I have been doing this freelance stuff and selling some local shirts for awhile.  I have customers that do a lot.. then hire there own artist or find someone cheaper (hard to believe) and then they are gone and someone else pops up.. The india, china, pakastain folks kick the crap out of me but I keep stumbling along.. Recently I have gotten half a dozen or more jobs that start and when I tell them I cannot afford to work for free, or quote them a ridiculous price I never hear back.. Pretty incredible in that the customer always wants their art for free but if the printer cannot build $10-20.00 into the job we need more price training.  I do some pretty good stuff in the $15.00 to $50.. price range and I don't drink your coffee.. I don't take the best donut.. I don't take vacation, I don't even get workmans comp from carpal tunnel running my mouse.. I am here every day (usually) answer the phone from 8am to 6pm... I mean what am I missing here.. well other than i misspell a word here and there.
dlac
Thank you for listening

ScreenFoo:
It won't make you feel better, but it amazes me that people will pay anywhere from 20-100 dollars to get some horribly designed piece of art separated, but won't pay anything (a little time included) to get a file that isn't a pile of crap to start with.

I get the feeling these problems have something to do with each other...

Dottonedan:
I see some of my customers sending art request overseas...I'm sure for $30-$75.00, then having me separate it for another $45-$90.00 (and even that is cheap).  The art files are streamlined auto traced images slapped together to create one design.  Typical art files of a few customers and they always come back in process colors in a vector file in a bazillion points.

Those derned artist anyways. Always wanting more money.

tancehughes:
Yeah I've got customers complaining about part fees too. Even a recent contract customer was complaining about paying for artwork and said "I should have the tools to do all of this." Yes I have the tools, but they weren't free and neither is my time.

Chadwick:
Some folks want the moon, but only want to pay for a pebble.
I feel your pain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version