Author Topic: I can open up an Adobe Illustrator file in CorelDraw with no conversion issues?  (Read 3031 times)

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

I just received the art work for a job, real simple design, one color (white) image for back and left chest. The customer sent them to me as Adobe Illustrator files. I can open them up in CorelDraw X5 with no conversion issues, correct? They will still be vector images if I open them in CorelDraw, right? I ask this now because I am at my actual job and won't be able to look at the designs until I get home this evening so I figured I'd ask the question now.
Mark

Offline Ryan

technically yes, but if its a newer version of Illy, you may have problems. Its usually because the file was compressed and if thats the case, you can ask someone here to open and save it. Let me know if you need that, I can do it. I'm just not at my computer all day so you may not get a response for a little while.
Ryan

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Mark, it should work fine if you have no halftones in them, for some reason the two programs don't play well together with gradients, and if they did the fonts in outline your fine with those too...if you need help send to me and Ill convert it for ya.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline dlac

I tend to work mostly in Illustrator and or some time even in Freehand .. I do a lot of freelance for people who use Corel.. I generaly save to EPS and If I am worried about their programs or ability I save to EPS and Illustrator 8.. pretty universal.  sometimes have some color and or font outline issues but not very often''
dlac
Rastor to Vector is my favorite.. disastor is my
specialty and Dots make me crazy...

Thanks everyone...I'll see where I stand tonight with the design illustrator/corel conversion and post here any issues I may encounter.
Mark

I opened up the AI files when I arrived home. I have Illustrator CS and CorelDraw X5. When I opened them up in illustrator I got the pop up saying the file was created in a newer version of Illustrator (did say which newer version) and that same formatting would be lost. When I opened it the text were all screwy looking. There are just two fonts in the design. I did find one and already installed it but the other one I can not find. I emailed the customer asking if he can tell me the name of it. No word back yet.

I then saved each one as a PDF and opened them up in CorelDraw X5 thinking they may look correct in that program. nope, still the same issues.

Really super easy design to recreate once I get that second font name.

I will attach the PDF's if anyone wants to see what I'm working with. I need the "Fueled" font name...I have been searching and may post in the "Fonts' forum if I do not hear back from the customer soon.

Mark

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Just because a font has the same name, does not make it the same......Often there any many versions with the same name and in some cases fonts have been renamed in an attempt to make them harder to find...

Offline chubsetc

I do not have illustrator but typically open Illy files in photoshop at a high resolution and either sep right in photoshop or rasterize everything in photoshop and then trace in corel.  Maybe thats not ideal but works for me.  Sometimes when trying to open an illy file in corel you will lose layers or add transparent layers that should not be seen, when I open up in photoshop you typically see the file the way the sender intended.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Do this: do not open the files with Illy, but open a blank page, then "Place" the document (File menu). ("Place" is what Illy calls "Import") After you place it, go to the Object menu, scroll down to "Flatten Transparency", and in the dialog window for that, make sure the "Convert all text to outlines" box is checked, that should do it for you...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Do this: do not open the files with Illy, but open a blank page, then "Place" the document (File menu). ("Place" is what Illy calls "Import") After you place it, go to the Object menu, scroll down to "Flatten Transparency", and in the dialog window for that, make sure the "Convert all text to outlines" box is checked, that should do it for you...

Steve

Thanks for the tip..i will try it when I get home from work this evening and will respond with the results.
Mark

Offline Ryan

were these the original files they sent? If so thy aren't simple fonts. Looks like someone tried to make it 3 demensional or drop shadow.
The fonts are Bankgothic and the other looks to be very close to Cataneo. On my computer anyways. But again they have been manipulated in these files. Nothing worked for me (import-place-open) you may have to upload the original file and see if anyone can open them up. It might help

were these the original files they sent? If so thy aren't simple fonts. Looks like someone tried to make it 3 demensional or drop shadow.
The fonts are Bankgothic and the other looks to be very close to Cataneo. On my computer anyways. But again they have been manipulated in these files. Nothing worked for me (import-place-open) you may have to upload the original file and see if anyone can open them up. It might help

the PDF's I posted were created from the original files while in Illustrator CS.
Mark

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Once I downloaded it, I could see that the extruded text and the CROSSFiT were not vectors. I opened in Photoshop, and there is some funky effect, kind stitch-like on the edges of the larger text. The bottom text looks fine. When I zoomed way in, there are a few more subtle colors in the purple, which again, makes me think that they were originally raster, but who knows at this point. But if this is all you have, and you want to make it a 2 color, then sep it in PS to get it done.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Once I downloaded it, I could see that the extruded text and the CROSSFiT were not vectors. I opened in Photoshop, and there is some funky effect, kind stitch-like on the edges of the larger text. The bottom text looks fine. When I zoomed way in, there are a few more subtle colors in the purple, which again, makes me think that they were originally raster, but who knows at this point. But if this is all you have, and you want to make it a 2 color, then sep it in PS to get it done.

Steve

that stitch like effect you are seeing is not supposed to be there. I dl'ed the font and typed out the "crossfit" text and sized it to match and the dl'ed font does NOT have that stitch effect. I think that effect is there from the conversion process from a new version of illustrator (the customers) to a lower illustrator version (mine).
Mark