Author Topic: What to look for when hiring an art person?  (Read 1902 times)

Offline middletownink

• Verified/Junior
  • Future so bright, got to wear shades!
What to look for when hiring an art person?
« on: May 14, 2013, 09:20:55 PM »
Any lessons learned from you guys regarding an art person?  I maybe looking at hiring someone to take over the film out put and other creative tasks and I am wondering if there are specific things to ask or look for when interviewing someone specific for this area?
-You Think It! - We Print It!-

Offline cclaud3

What to look for when hiring an art person?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 09:38:42 PM »
I was involved with interviews as the production manager at a small offset company out of college. Regarding film and other prepress duties I would start with the basic topic/questions of CMYK and spot color output. I would take a vector artist over a photoshop "logo designer" as they will have a jump on tools related more to everyday basic spot output. The photoshop skills are nice but most standard jobs are logo and basic art redraws using illustrator or Corel. Bezier drawing tool familiarity is what you want to hear with the previously mentioned programs.

When I was interviewing for a mix of art positions out of school, each place had me perform an actual PC test while they were in the other room. If they pass the verbal portion have them try to either redraw a simple logo in spot colors or separate a simple 2 or 3 color job with some traps. If they can't redraw logos in a timely fashion then extrapolate that into how much each job will cost you.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: What to look for when hiring an art person?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 10:00:35 PM »
contact your local graphic design college and get some interns. they will be with you for 10-16 weeks. go through several of them and you'll know exactly what you are looking for. If you get lucky, you'll call one back for a full time job. We went through 4 and are hiring full time now. Have two good candidates,neither was an intern, but both are from the same art school.
For the most part, they will know enough about the programs you are using and what you are trying to do. You will have to explain the specifics and teach them how to interact with the customers.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 11:11:21 PM »
In my opinion right off the bat if you have an artist that used to be a printer you are ahead of the game. Creating logos is one thing but having the artist be able to sep out a sim process job with correct print order is very helpful. And knowing how to sep for water base and plastisol. But I am not a full time art guy. I would ask Dan or Colin or someone like that.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 03:56:26 PM »
I don't care about art school myself, though it should indeed be a plus, what can they really do? Show me your stuff, how did you create this? For t's, I agree that good knowledge of a vector program is very important, though I also feel that Photoshop knowledge is also very important. I've actually taught vendors how to use a clean bitmap tif. So, what do they know how to do?

Steve

Unless you're really good, they should be better than you...
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 06:08:35 PM »
You want someone who is able and willing to learn new things. It might be hard to find one with screen print shop experience, so they need to be able to adapt to the way we do things and learn the specific production methods. Someone who knows their way around software and can quickly learn what they need to know. With the way technology is changing, an adaptable artist is an asset. (I hear that there's something new coming that will pull the rug out from under the separation industry. Just be ready for things like that.)  ;) Someone who has the ability to adapt to various art styles is a nice thing, too.

Someone who can take criticism... this is a bit cliched, but some artists can be a bit touchy about revisions. Experience as a commercial artist will get them to the point where they are used to making changes.

Someone quick and clever, who can create design solutions right away if they have to.

Someone who can draw would be very good. Lots of "artists" and designers out there, but if you need a cartoon or custom mascot drawn, nice skill to have... but more importantly, ask to see a portfolio and look for the ability to design with type. Not always necessary to have t-shirt design experience, but someone who has designed posters or signs already has a good skill set to transfer to shirts. Also, the ability to design with limited color palettes is good.

What artists need: A good, fast computer with the latest software updates. A stylus pen is a plus. A desk to draw on when needed. A good film printer or imagesetter. An internet connection to look for reference materials. (Give some leeway on web surfing and messing around, these things are necessary for creatives. You will be surprised how a moderate measure of freedom will increase production.) If you have an office or other space that you can dedicate to just art, all the better.

Also helpful to have in place an ordering process for art. Verbal instructions and suggestions can get lost if you're busy. Write everything down and have an IN box for the artist to check regularly.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 06:11:57 PM by Command-Z »
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline starchild

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 01:48:04 AM »
I agree on the ability to draw, being at the top of the list. Everybody else seeking the position should/would know there way around the software stuff.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 10:28:24 AM »
(I hear that there's something new coming that will pull the rug out from under the separation industry. Just be ready for things like that.)

Good one Scott... ;D

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline sullyman

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 09:10:16 PM »
• First you really need to understand your specific needs. What are your specialties, what are you likely to start doing in the future.

I'm going to keep this basic as these subjects tend to get muddy with more details involved.

Graphic Designer - A person that specializes in page layout, ad layout and logo designs for projects.
Illustrator - A person that specializes illustration and drawing skills.
Graphic Artist - A person that doesn't specialize in one specific category but includes both.

Each category has their own levels (ie: intern/professional/etc.) along with the fact that they don't necessarily have to lack one of the other skill sets. I consider myself an Illustrator (but in all reality, I'm a Graphic Artist) but also have graphic design skills. 

• Know what your looking for first.

Also, you get what you pay for. I know people that went to design school but can't handle illustration at all. As the same for Illustrators that can't design well. The main idea I like to push is that you're hiring someone to represent your business or brand and you do that with a business/personal relationship.

Types of Graphics people: (In-house / Freelance - depends on your business model)

Interns - you'll end up investing a lot of time in (down time due to errors, teaching, etc) and aren't always the eager learners they are thought to be. But on the other hand can be someone you pull in full-time and have the opportunity to mold with time.

Self Taught - I'm self taught and some of the most talent people in the industry are as well. That isn't always a good thing as they can be just as bad as an intern if not worse. Anyone with a computer and a connection to Youtube can learn to become a "Graphic Designer" or the latter. So be weary of this fact.

Graduated Professional - I consider these folks the schooled artist/designers. They have been taught a specific way can can tend to be difficult to work with but that isn't always the case. The have entry to professional knowledge of programs and have an specific skill set. This doesn't always mean they are "talented".

As with any caliber of the graphic professionals, you will have to deal with Ego's, some large some small. Some need a good spanking and some have learned (with experience) humility. But you'll always have to deal with it. Paying someone to quickly get a job done is one thing. (ie: using crowd sourcing contest sites, etc.) Paying someone to quickly get a job done with high quality time and time again, and expect that over time they won't begin to harbor animosity towards you, would be down right insane.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best advice I could give is and keep in mind each has their pro's and con's and I wouldn't be biased based on a piece of paper.

• THEY MUST HAVE A PORTFOLIO

If they don't have one, don't waste your time. (believe me, there are talented guys out there that lack a portfolio but if they can't take their portfolio that sells their work, seriously... why would you think they'll take your work seriously?) A portfolio can tell you a lot about a creative professional. Did they show you good examples, or just some sketches they had laying around that have coffee stains on them, or some photo's they took on their phone next to the one's of last nights beer pong tournament. All joking aside, The portfolio is truly most important and any good artist/designers worth their weight in salt knows that fact. You should treat it the same.

After all, you're in an industry that depends greatly on the graphics you work and provide. If you have shoddy work going out, what do you think will come in? Your portfolio is as important as your artists. Most of this is pretty self explanatory but hopefully I organized it a little for you and others that have the same questions. Finding an artist is as serious as you make it. It all depends on the effort you put in. Knowing good work from bad work, eagerness to learn, artists ego, budget, skill sets (illustration, graphic designs, separation experience, speed etc.)

Sorry for a huge post but I hope this helps in some way! (A little of topic but has the general guide lines apparent)

-Sully

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:20:26 PM by sullyman »
John Sullivan / Freelance Illustrator - StoreYoutubeBehanceEmail Me