Author Topic: Today.  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Today.
« on: May 27, 2013, 10:59:04 AM »
It's a beautiful day here in central Florida. What an Awesome day this makes sitting around, relaxing, remembering those we've lost along the way and honoring those we've never met that have given the ultimate sacrifice. We are able to enjoy this day because of those sacrifice's. we are able to disagree and say so in public without fear. Raise one today and give thanks in their honor. Thanks you to all who have served.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Today.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 03:28:07 PM »
What he said.............
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 09:30:03 PM »
Today I think about my Dad's younger brother, Earl, who was shot in a firefight with the Germans in France. 21 years old, he had been stationed in Washington state with an artillery unit. My Dad was in the south Pacific with the Army Air Corp. Earl didn't want to serve stateside and requested a transfer. He was sent to Europe.
He was killed in a foxhole in the spring of 1945 with another soldier. Their remains were left there for weeks. The other two in the hole with them were taken prisoner.
Whatever was left after their remains were retrieved were buried there. In the mid-50's the government offered to have them repatriated, and he was brought home and buried in the family plot in Marathon, NY.
I got the details of this from another uncle, Lloyd, who is 89 or 90 now, a couple of years ago. When he told me of what had happened to Earl, he started crying. He said his mother (my grandmother) never was told how Earl had died and had been left. My Dad never spoke of his younger brother, but from what I've been told, there were very much alike as youths.
As for Lloyd, he was a sergeant in the infantry, in occupied Japan, when the Korean war broke out. He's in a VA hospital now, suffering from the effects of frostbite on his feet. He told me of guys in his unit freezing to death overnight with only a blanket to cover themselves, and how his own feet froze to his boots because he had no dry socks to put on.
Lloyd, and Earl, were only two of the hundreds of thousands from all of our families who stepped up when it mattered. For myself, it puts a human face and a personal story to the sacrifice, but we're obliged to take a moment today to think of those who never came home alive, and many who never came home at all, and thank them for the grace we're blessed to live under by their deed.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 11:20:30 PM »
Now that's...well, I have mixed feelings on that story. For one, I want to thank you for letting us in on a little family history and telling us of these men. On the other side, I am sorry you even have these stories to tell.

None the less, I greatly appreciate you sharing their story and greatly appreciate them even more so.

Thank you.
Dan
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

AdvancedArtist

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 11:34:07 PM »
Yeah an incredible day my great great great grandfathers paid for the constitution in Up State NY with their blood, dreams and determination. I think of them often as I enjoy the fruit of their sacrifices and my first world education. Great post Dan.

I grew up between Oriskany and Laguna Beach California where my father moved after the divorce. But our fulfillment offices are in this village....

Battle of Oriskany, part one of four parts.

My fathers were on these battlefields we are the fruit of those men.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:01:59 AM by AdvancedArtist »