Author Topic: Quick Question About Activator  (Read 2198 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Quick Question About Activator
« on: May 22, 2013, 02:23:57 PM »
Well, I ran out of the Rutland discharge activator and we got a job this afternoon with discharge white ink.  I have plenty of CCI's activator and no CCI D-white, and plenty of Rutland DC white with no activator.  I've never mixed different manufacturers activators/inks before and now I need to know if I'm safe using the CCI's activator in the Rutland white ink?  I'm pretty sure this has been done and all the activator I've dealt with looks and feels the same but I don't know the chemistry well enough to know if the activator is all the same.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

Re: Quick Question About Activator
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 02:32:38 PM »
if both are ZFS activators - it should work.

we used union ZFS with CCI D-White - seemed to be no difference

check the MSDS to compare chemistry beforehand.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 02:41:52 PM »
We have CCI and Sericol here and just keep a gallon bucket on hand of the CCI activator, no issues. 

I sincerely doubt there is a difference between the ZFS crystals form one ink mfg or another, they probably get them from the same places.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 02:44:58 PM »
they are different, but work the same.  Look at Sericols activator, it looks like cocaine.  CCI, and Magna are more like little crystals, but I have mixed all three and they all work the same.  I prefer Sericols, because its easier to mix.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 03:01:21 PM »
I tried to find the MSDS on Rutland's activator but couldn't find anything about it.  I found CCI's activator info easily and figured all of the ZFS powders were virtually the same.  I'm going to run this job in an hour or two and I'll let everyone know how it goes.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 03:45:45 PM »
According to the CCI rep that came to our shop all of the ZFS activators are the same so feel free to use whichever one you have.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 03:46:48 PM »
I just now realized I hijacked your thread...oops!  Is there a way to delete this so I can start a new thread?  I added this using modify but have no idea how to delete it.  Sorry Alan.

Our CCI D-Flo kit came in today, looking forward to some playtime on the press when time allows.  Anyone else tried it yet?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 03:49:22 PM by ScreenPrinter123 »

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 05:55:36 PM »
I certainly don't care about a hijack, I do it all the time.  Thanks everybody for helping me out.  I pushed this job back to tomorrow morning so that I could coat the right mesh counts for this instead of just using what little we had laying around.  We are short handed and slammed to the max.  I need some good help but it's proven to be very hard to find. 

And thanks to that guy who PM'd me who shall remain "nameless" :).

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 06:42:44 PM »
wish i kd rply bt y r all gd

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 08:51:04 PM »
I just now realized I hijacked your thread...oops!  Is there a way to delete this so I can start a new thread?  I added this using modify but have no idea how to delete it.  Sorry Alan.

Our CCI D-Flo kit came in today, looking forward to some playtime on the press when time allows.  Anyone else tried it yet?

that cci d flo kit ROCKS THE HOUSE!  Did tests with Gary Fox earlier this week and I can say they are better than ANYONES FLOs.  And they offer more colors.  IMO that is.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 10:41:01 PM »
wish i kd rply bt y r all gd

Sound the alarms!! Information leak alert! Information leak alert! Warning! Warning!

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 10:49:57 PM »
If it's ZFS you are all good.

The only difference you will find between them is particle size.  I like the one CCI resells through Ryonet, it's a finer particle and mixes in easier.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 11:08:56 PM »
We have used the Union, CCI and Texcharge interchangeably when we had all three here. They all worked fine.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »
I just mentioned on the "favorite DC white" thread about my first print run with the Rutland white.  I am impressed.  I will wait to see the final print washed but as of this second, I think it's a few shades brighter than the CCI before it was washed.  I will post again after I wash these samples and then do a side by side comparison between the CCI and Rutland.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 02:17:09 PM »
I have washed the sample I printed yesterday and of course it's not as bright as it was before the wash but it still looks a shade or two whiter than the CCI samples I have.  It's still not white enough for our sales people to like but me and the artist think it's a better option than thick plastisol for most types of designs.  I might see if I have some time to take some pics of the sample prints side by side and let y'all look at them.