Author Topic: modacrylic  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
modacrylic
« on: May 14, 2013, 06:16:22 PM »
Has anyone ever decorated this stuff?  Flame retardant safety vests.

Wikipedia describes the material as starting to shrink at 240 or 250, and stiffening at 300.

They initially wanted them (even the small run of three) screen printed, but when I read the cure heat limitations, I told them that my inks would not be so good for this.

I did try a 300 degree 10 second heat pressing of a small piece of Easy Weed on the inside, and it seems pretty good. No noticeable shrink, pucker, or stiffening.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: modacrylic
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 06:49:13 PM »
I don't think I would want something that was "flame retardant" that starts to change at 250 or 300 degrees, hardly any protection.

I know most flame retardant garments like nomex are void if decorated with something other then an emb patch. They even recomend discarding the garment if contaminated with oil or other things that can saturate the fabric even if it is washed several times.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 07:36:05 PM »
I think that they are working on the premise that if indeed, they are in a fire (or probably more accurately close to a fire), and are the required flame retardant, though they my pucker or stiffen, they at least won't burst into flame.

And the lady told me that they do have to have them laundered by some special folks, but they aren't chemically dry cleaned.

BTW, these are for a local refinery.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline californiadreamin

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 09:54:52 PM »
Rutland polyset ink used for 100% polyester. cures at 290 degree. Also use fire retarder additive.
Other Brands have theirs as well, I am just not familiar with them.
Fire Retardent is also used on kids sleepwear, if plastisol is used(Federal Law)
Ask Sonny, Rob, Peter what they have.