Author Topic: Oversharing  (Read 3059 times)

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Re: Oversharing
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 02:20:38 PM »
It would be a sad day when we would never expect to see another great post from you Tony. 
I can only hope everyone up top comes to their senses on this.

If you think it will help, I can find a thread where you explicitly state "NO SHARING"....  lemme see here. 
Yeah, here it is:  http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,6956.msg71110.html#msg71110
Obviously just a baseless accusation.  We're the problem--you tried to reason with us.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 02:22:05 PM »
Conspiracy freaks and paranoid forum owners may suggest this to be the work of a  TSB foe or even rival forum owner 8)

Of course, I have friends, some, really active folks, previously on TSPMB and presently in their own clique who just enjoy the social networking and  business contacts with known associates, who think that sharing with the whole industry community is crazy, and harms their bottom line.

Andy:  All I can say is WOW!  So these folks think that sharing information and improving the industry "Harms their Bottom Line?" IMHO that is an example of some very shortsighted thinking. I cant remember where Gervais says it in his six part series, but at one point he states that his motivation in sharing this information is to help bring printing back to the US Market, there aint no way that i can see that as being a bad thing for any of our bottom lines. 

Do you wanna know i think what is bad for Screen printers Bottom lines?  It's all of the "Price Check" posts where printers are posting detailed information on their production cost, garmnet cost, and mark-up percentages in an open forum that can be read by the very people who they are trying to sell hier screen-printing services to.  I'm not saying that there's no value in checking prices with other Industry professionals, but there has to be a way to take this info out of the public forum and into a more secure space.

BTW;  the attached jpeg is a screen shot of some info that Mark Gervais shared in his presentation.  Guess what?  it's a comprehensive "How To" on producing a  high quality PVC free screen-printed garment.

Peter,

that information is NOT visible by the public or the search engines. You have to be a verified member with 10 posts to see those sections!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 03:23:50 PM »
Thanks to all above. I dare say that those comments are well said but in truth, they are allvalid.
It is an  interesting business we find our selves in. In closing I at would just like  would like to comment on how what we do, no matter whatlevel.it is a craft.
Insert Novel

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Oversharing
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 08:24:04 PM »
"Conceal nothing, And watch the fools search forever."
I think that quote will work here.
 Obviously with your recent article and attention here someone's ego is bruising. Do what you do.

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 12:42:02 PM »
This is just silly. I am sorry Tony that you have to deal with this. I do want to thank you for all of your time and knowledge that you have helped others with including myself. Some people just like to get their nose in other peoples business. So sad as they have absolutely nothing better to do.

In Seattle I have been told I am "too nice" by helping other shops out. Give me a break. There is so much work out there if you are not busy you might be doing something wrong. And by helping others it makes for a better industry and friends all around. People need to grow up. You only live once so how much money can you hoard? Wait, don't answer that. Some people are reaaaaally greedy!

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 08:58:49 PM »
Tony, take winstons advice, I already have.  Your needed here.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

AdvancedArtist

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013, 10:33:27 PM »
Tony believe me I feel your pain and understand. What bothers me the most is that the mindset you described in the OP this is one of the very disturbing realities I have come to understand in this industry. I have a long scarred history of being intimidated and at times even having my business threatened by big players and fanatics.

When I released the first version of SimpleSeps with basic halftones… oppps don’t do that! We won’t do business with you anymore.

When I started the www.opentshirts.com project.. oppps don’t do that! It’s a conflict of interest we won’t do business with you anymore.

LOL I did those projects anyway. And we don’t do business anymore.

Trying to teach color to this Industry has proved to be the most difficult of all these challenges. That has resulted in personal insults, flaming emails even so far as other color dudes creating fake accounts in youtube and other Industry forums with which to attack and harass me.

Fortunately the creep in your OP is dealing with you and not me.

Tony and I say this in humility because I am sure your work has had as much impact or more than mine.

I got an email back in 2009 on Christmas Eve it was around 7PM…

A poor man from South Africa now a friend of mine, wanted to share with me that he just prepared the best Christmas Eve diner he had ever prepared for his family. And he wanted to thank me for that because he believed the free information I had shared with him enabled him to make such a diner for his family on Christmas Eve.

Now can you imagine me in that moment? Honestly it changed my life as I sat there thinking about the children and family having their best Christmas Eve dinner ever. A man on the other side of the world struggling to make something with his life and family in conditions most of us could never understand. That man takes a minute to express to the likes of men like you and me Tony how happy he is to prepare such a meal for his family and feels he needs to thank men like you and me.

Thanks for sharing Tony some men have profited and grown because of you I am sure.

Keep sharing just find another place to do so because there are families with children in poor places that can use your information and the families in the first world as well that need what you have come to understand believe me.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 02:39:20 AM by AdvancedArtist »

AdvancedArtist

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 10:38:02 PM »
 ;)

Offline Spreading Ink

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 02:10:15 AM »
Sorry haven't been around for a few days and just saw this.  I will only say that I totally respect your knowledge and info Tony and it is sad that someone feels the way this person does or has. I have shared far more info here than I generally will about all over printing, but I feel this a good place to share the info and do not feel it hurts our business at all.

Proprietary info?  None of are really doing true research and development in the sense that we could patent anything we do - we're printing with more or less the same products and techniques.  Application standards are available from all of the manufacturers, but as printers and those who run print businesses it is on best interest to help each other out when and where we can.

I hope your situation blows over eventually.  It is astonishing to me that someone would feel threatened by your posts or your sharing of knowledge and I am disheartened to hear of it!

Spreading Ink
3031 E Cherry St.
Springfield, MO 65802
417-771-3855
Vist us on Facebook!