Author Topic: Oversharing  (Read 3058 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Oversharing
« on: May 11, 2013, 07:10:59 AM »
Perhaps I have done so. No regrets or misgivings here. I have always and continue to
contend that I have had best intentions here on this place. However, whether it is my misplaced desire to help, or perhaps an ego issue wherein I feel to boast about something it, can certainly be be miscontruied.
I have been personally addressed about some of these issues by someone (who will not be named) who decided to take the the time and effort to contact my company (The person represents his self as an owner of of large facility in FLA}
about their "ernest concerns"about my disclosures of company secrets, color formulations, etc
After more than 70 publicly published articles within which include everything mentioned on this board and often more; this stuff has been out there for years.
Moreover I have always been encouraged to publicize information as long as it doesn't
conflict with with competition. I have never done so.

However somebody got their wish

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
Re: Oversharing
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 07:26:33 AM »
No matter where you go, there will always be some a-hole who will pick at the success of others. Regrettably, you've got one on your tail, and that it spills over into your generous sharing of expertise on this forum is unfortunate. The weasel is too chickens#!t to address his "concerns" face-to-face with you before sneaking around behind your back and "telling on you" to your boss.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 07:32:30 AM »
Wow, you are one of the most knowledgable people here.  Hate to see your posts slow down or go away.  I thank you for what you have shared to this point in time. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline virgil427

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 08:08:52 AM »
I always read your post, your knowledge will be sorely missed. Hopefully you can still share some.Thanks for helping everyone so freely

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 08:37:32 AM »
AHH, the better Mousetrap syndrome.

I have always been amazed at the perception that if I turn right instead of left ‘it’ can be can be a ‘revolutionary game changer’.

While I willingly sign and respect NDA agreements I know the free exchange of ideas is the best ‘deal’ for all concerned.

I love to invite owners/managers to my shop floor, and if invited visit theirs, and have never felt the deal was one sided in any respect. 

Some of the best innovation has come from visitors who had no knowledge of our industry, but rather how to improve production flow, employee motivation, and/or communication skills in general.

In closing, still waiting for that mousetrap to end all mousetraps!   Guess what the mice and rats are winning because we can’t talk to them.  Kind of like a closed shop floor if you think about it.

Sorry if you don’t share my opinion, but that is exactly what it is, an opinion!

~Kitson

Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline californiadreamin

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 08:43:50 AM »
Sad News! Tony you have, and continue to help many people! Kudos!!!
You have been have been helping for 25 years plus that I know.
The industry is getting more "chikenschitt" everyday, and people such as yourself should
be applauded for trying to make the very industry, more relevant, competitive with other processes.
It is unfortunate, that when others feel slighted, that they react in this manner. I would encourage you
to keep posting, as you have, with your head high. The rest be damned!
Eagerly awaiting your next article!
winston

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 09:11:50 AM »
Tony:  Sorry to hear that your support of this Garment Screen-printing industry has been restricted in this way.  That your employer is so worried about the information that you’ve shared, suggests to me that they haven’t seen the series of instructional videos on water base printing that Mark Gervais provided at this year’s Long Beach show (Search YouTube for Waterbased PVC-Free Alternatives).

They also might not be aware of the hundreds of seminars that industry professionals (and Print For Profit Screen-Printers) such as Mark Coudray, Lon Winters, and Greg Kitson have presented at various venues over the years.  I have been extremely impressed with your effort in supporting the technological advancement of the textile screen-printing process, as a strong and innovative industry is good for everyone. 

I’ve also never read anything that you’ve posted as company confidential and would gladly share that opinion with the appropriate people at your company.
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 10:17:31 AM »
so some dickwad called your business and told on you like a little girl?  wtf.  I am so sick of people acting like they know what is best for everyone.  Tony, I learn something from everyone of your posts whether I agree or not.  You have the knowledge and you are sharing it. 

I learned long ago there is always someone bigger, better, richer, poorer, stronger, faster...whatever it is you are never on top for ever....

I say F**K them and keep doing what you are doing...as long as the boss says it is ok...and to the person who called up like a little bitch...shame on you.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 11:02:38 AM »
Conspiracy freaks and paranoid forum owners may suggest this to be the work of a  TSB foe or even rival forum owner 8)

Of course, I have friends, some, really active folks, previously on TSPMB and presently in their own clique who just enjoy the social networking and  business contacts with known associates, who think that sharing with the whole industry community is crazy, and harms their bottom line.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 12:13:02 PM »
Conspiracy freaks and paranoid forum owners may suggest this to be the work of a  TSB foe or even rival forum owner 8)

Of course, I have friends, some, really active folks, previously on TSPMB and presently in their own clique who just enjoy the social networking and  business contacts with known associates, who think that sharing with the whole industry community is crazy, and harms their bottom line.

Andy:  All I can say is WOW!  So these folks think that sharing information and improving the industry "Harms their Bottom Line?" IMHO that is an example of some very shortsighted thinking. I cant remember where Gervais says it in his six part series, but at one point he states that his motivation in sharing this information is to help bring printing back to the US Market, there aint no way that i can see that as being a bad thing for any of our bottom lines. 

Do you wanna know i think what is bad for Screen printers Bottom lines?  It's all of the "Price Check" posts where printers are posting detailed information on their production cost, garmnet cost, and mark-up percentages in an open forum that can be read by the very people who they are trying to sell hier screen-printing services to.  I'm not saying that there's no value in checking prices with other Industry professionals, but there has to be a way to take this info out of the public forum and into a more secure space.

BTW;  the attached jpeg is a screen shot of some info that Mark Gervais shared in his presentation.  Guess what?  it's a comprehensive "How To" on producing a  high quality PVC free screen-printed garment.   
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 12:15:20 PM »
What Tony shares only makes the industry better for everyone including his own company and the one disagreeing with him.

Tonys endeavors to bring DC and WB to the mainstream could potentially make the products so popular pricing would change accordingly.

Also with more and more people jumping in to the process more and more useful information will emerge which in turn will help Tony and his business.

Not sure how anyone can think what Tony has shared is proprietary in any way considering he only talks about manufactured readily available products. I could see if Tonys own company made their own product or had a technique completely different than what is done.

This is just another case of big Business trying to stifle the market, hell I just read an article that Disney tried to copyright "the day of the dead" holiday name (in spanish) WTF?

"No man is an island"

Offline starchild

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 12:22:16 PM »
Whatever the case, competition encourages innovation and innovation spawns growth. Bottom lines are in fact  harmed when a company fiends to come up with new ideas. They get swallowed by the innovative competitor..

What the individual is suggesting :-X does more harm than good to an industry. Imagine the level of craftsmanship of vehicles today if everything were a secret. There really is no high-end or low-end anymore. Just market position. 

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 12:33:47 PM »

WTF... trade secrets? This is screenprinting on t-shirts. Not like you're publishing the recipe for Coke or the Colonel's herb mix. THOSE are trade secrets.

If someone's business is HURT by the sharing of information rather than helped by it, then something else is wrong with their business model.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline californiadreamin

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 01:08:29 PM »
Tony, I have the solution!
Get a new name under your unhappy camper's wife's name or his ex's name.
Continue to write and post these Great Articles, and end it with a  :)
We will know its you!
And your new found friend, will need to take exlax on a daily basis.

Offline Nick Bane

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 02:07:52 PM »
It's too bad this person with all these concerns doesn't even have the spine to stand up and say it in public, what a bitch.
Bane Ink - 619-701-4283