Author Topic: Can't create a NEW FOLDER via right click or menu bar.  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Can't create a NEW FOLDER via right click or menu bar.
« on: April 22, 2013, 09:49:35 AM »
As stated, for some reasons, (now), I can't create a NEW FOLDER via right click or thru the menu bar.

The only thing that has changed is that I was sent a file via (FILE FACTORY) that lives off of low life programs that install when you download your file. It installs them without asking. So, I got about 3 new things added to my PC that I know of and manually deleted them. Ever since, when I click on NEW FOLDER in the menu bar, nothing happens.  Then when I right click, and and go to NEW and try to choose NEW FOLDER, it's not listed as an option.

How can I restore this without going back to that date and reinstalling that day?

I checked the folder options in control panel but don't see anything pertaining.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Can't create a NEW FOLDER via right click or menu bar.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 10:08:36 AM »
So, assuming that it used to work properly before the installation of a third party application, and uninstalling said application(s) doesn't do it, then I would certainly think about a system restore to the point just before the installation.
Are you resisting that step because of lots of wanted installations since then that you'd lose? You know that you won't lose data.

At any rate, are you saying that the top option Folder, as illustrated here is missing on your right click menu now?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 12:36:33 PM »
Correct, I can't see that anymore.

I have never done it myself. I don't know what I'll lose or gain.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 12:57:34 PM »
When you use system restore the date you pick will list what applications were installed at that restore point.

A good practice is to perform a system restore update every time before you install something new, its also recommended to save system restore points somewhere else because lots of malware will also edit the restore points.

"No man is an island"

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 05:59:07 PM »
Dan,
Just had this on a clients system...there is a virus that makes that change.  I removed the virus but it still would not allow the new folders.
I searched the web and found a fix for it.
There is a script for changing your system registry to fix it.
I will email it to you.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 06:31:56 PM »
I figured it was a virus. That dirty bastid FILE FACTORY!