Author Topic: SOUND on computer gone after using head phones.  (Read 3755 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
SOUND on computer gone after using head phones.
« on: April 07, 2013, 03:32:49 PM »

I know this is basic stuff, but after doing that video with head phones and a mic, I've done something and hadn't been able to get the sound back on.

I've gone through what I think has been all of the basic stuff and can't get the sound to work again.

The icon shows activity when I play a vid. but no sound. I've checked all of the preferences and still nothing. I've unplugged and plugged and re stared. still nothing,

I know just enough on the inside of a computer to be dangerous.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: SOUND on computer gone after using head phones.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 06:37:49 PM »
Dan,

give this a try...it happened t my iphone once and i looked it up..you may have done this already...it may be dirt or dust...

i took some air from a compressor and shot it on the hole...did it a few times...and it worked...

Offline Sparkie

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 07:34:26 PM »
I had that same issue on my laptop a while back. You still get sound through the headphone jack but not the speakers, right?

Now if only I could remember what I did to fix it. :-[ I tried many different fixes but I think it may have come down to a faulty headphone jack input. Plug the headphones in and GENTLY giggle the jack input then unplug the haeadphones and see if the speakers will talk to you now.
- Mark

Offline Im-Magic

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 08:56:47 PM »
If you are on windows it has probably reset the default in the device (in Control Panel) That is where I would look first
Stuart

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 09:39:02 PM »
I know that the software for my motherboard (and its sound card) did a bunch of automatic stuff unless I tell it to do different, so yes, perhaps yours did re-set itself when you changed connections or settings for the front headphone/mic jack
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 09:50:42 PM »
Sometimes there is a conflict with the basic Windows sound settings and a third-party sound manager app, like the one that may install with drivers for a certain motherboard, etc.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Sound

Check the "Playback" tab for speakers. Select it in the list and go to Properties.

Make sure everything is at the default.

Now go back to Control Panel and check for another audio driver app. On my machine it happens to be "Realtek HD Audio Manager" (which was installed with the drivers for the motherboard)

If you have something similar, poke around in it and set things back to defaults.

There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 12:24:47 AM »
Still trying.  thanks tho.  Nothing seems to work yet.  :'(
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 06:59:18 AM »
Just plug your speakers in the headphone jack,,,, ??????

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 08:44:40 AM »
Don't you just hate it when schiznit you can't see or touch MOVES from where you did not know it was before to somewhere you don't know it is now...frack..happens to me all the time....mr computer meet mr dry wall  :P ::) >:( :'(
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 09:20:46 AM »
Just plug your speakers in the headphone jack,,,, ??? ???

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Well,  my speakers go in the jack and the head phones require a USB port.  I don't know Jack as to how to get them to work. Odd thing is, I can scratch the jack on the socket opening and hear the headphones giving the scratch sound. When I turn on a video, I can see the green light bouncing up and down....but no sound.

All drivers are updated. Re set the preferences.  I dono.

Mooseman,  Yes,  Thats me. Pierre gets tired of me. LOL. He's been under the gun lately so I try not to bother him.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 09:29:20 AM »
Just plug your speakers in the headphone jack,,,, ??? ???

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Well,  my speakers go in the jack and the head phones require a USB port.  I don't know Jack as to how to get them to work. Odd thing is, I can scratch the jack on the socket opening and hear the headphones giving the scratch sound. When I turn on a video, I can see the green light bouncing up and down....but no sound.

All drivers are updated. Re set the preferences.  I dono.

Mooseman,  Yes,  Thats me. Pierre gets tired of me. LOL. He's been under the gun lately so I try not to bother him.

so you didn't try the compressed air?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 09:34:08 AM »
so you didn't try the compressed air?
  I have to say no. Not technically,  I blew in it "real hard". ...with my air brush gun. Prob not as strong as compressed air but probably should have done something if lint may have been blocking connection....I would think.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:48:48 AM by Frog »

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 09:52:37 AM »
Hey, if somehow the computer and/or its sound card re-set itself from the headphone/mic use, would taking a trip in the way-back machine possibly undo the damage?
How about going to a reset point before your video project?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 10:02:15 AM »
Really cant help much because I haven't had to mess with windows/3rd party settings in ages. But I do remember on much older windows versions it could get extremely aggravating trying to get mics and speakers to work correctly. What I do remember is checking everything everywhere I can till I found the problem, usually I start with right clicking the speaker icon in the notification area on the start bar. This would bring up sound properties and usually things like mic control, speaker control etc. I kind of remember making sure mic had to be set to mute or was it speakers? one of the two dunno. Either way I am sure everything is different today but checking around everywhere might eventually get you somewhere.

"No man is an island"