screen printing > General Screen Printing

If you had to do it over.. startup re-do

(1/7) > >>

jsheridan:
If you had to start over from the ground up what would you do or not do differently..

I ask as I just secured some capital and it's time to start buying equipment and supplies for my garage based startup.

I have a line on the big 4 pieces (press, dryer, flash and expose) for around 6k. I've had some rollers for years and a friendly supplier is giving me a hookup on supplies. I'll be building a washout and any racks and assorted stuff.

discuss..

mk162:
Boy, where to start.

Since I bought the business as is, I am lucky.  I would do it this way again, but while I was working here before I owned it, I would have straightened more of the bugs out and invested a little more in testing equipment.  I would have also had the shop in perfectly clean working order.  I am finding that I am spending too much time organizing and reworking the shop.  Who knows if that will ever end.

ZooCity:
Off the top of my head, for equip my top two are probably:

Bigger dryer from the get-go. 

Backlit washout booth.

If I was in yer shoes and had the trade skills already I would heavily consider going big up front though.  The way I built up our shop, piece by piece, just scrapping along was cool and suited me well for those years (I always said "hey, I'm in this for less than most people drop on a used car and used cars don't make money for you") but there was a point where I should've flipped the switch on a lot of gear all at once along with enough working capital to fund the co. through the growing pains and just rolled out with it.   It's riskier to do this and I was Mr. Bootstrap for a long, long time but, if you know the work is there, you just wind up saving a lot of $ and hassle in the long run by getting most everything you need now. 

Once I bit my lip and signed off on the loan finally I realized the synergy that happens with everything.  You put all that risky money out there but, if you do it right, it just brings solid, dependable revenue back around in quick time.  The key is to make sure you have the production tools to keep up when this happens.  I'm feeling that mistake right now.  :o

Homer:
wish we had a management program from day 1. Before any equipment. . .most important tool that gets overlooked in my opinion. how else do you know what to charge?. . .exactly. . .

Denis Kolar:
I would agree with Zoo about bigger dryer. I have Atlas 824 (8', with 24" belt) which suites my basement set-up and I would not have room for anything bigger. But now I wish that I have something more than a 4' heat chamber.
Also, do not cheap out in inks and supplies. Get the good and proven stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version