Author Topic: Thickening ink?  (Read 5392 times)

Offline Chadwick

Thickening ink?
« on: March 27, 2013, 05:58:48 PM »
Kind of the opposite of what we usually want, right?

Wilflex MP black used to have the same consistency as the rest of it,
but now it behaves like GNS on a hot day. ( water )

Case in point, printing transfers today, the blurry one is MP formula.
Luckily ( sort of ) I have a bucket of MVP black which was sent to us by mistake several years ago.
It's behaving much better,  bottom pic.

Unfortunately, it smells someplace between licorice and raw sewage..not pleasant.

These sheets have powder glue applied already if you're wondering what that is.

Anyhow, any suggestions for thickening ink?
Thanks.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Thickening ink?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 06:06:35 PM »
Believe it or not, Thickener.

If you have a brew supply place around you, I've been told it's just Cab-O-Sil.

Cool stuff, really comes in handy for a lot of things.

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 06:19:05 PM »
Thickener eh?
That's just too bloody obvious..lol.
I'll see if I can track some down.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 06:37:56 PM »
Weighs nothing, flows like water, is damn near impossible to get to mix in plastisol, can make translucent
colors opaque enough to P/F/P small areas, etc.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 06:39:01 PM »
there is a powder called cavosol or cabisil or something like that. it's used to thicken inks into High Density or just make them thicker.
I've been using it for year, just can't spell it  ;D

Call your supplier and ask about it.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Rob Coleman

Thickening ink?
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 06:45:14 PM »
It is Cabosil.  Wilflex sells it as Thickener #2.  Certainly all the manufacturers do.  Just ask for powder thickener.  It is EXTREMELY light - 1/2% to 1% addition by weight probably.
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 12:24:53 AM »
yessir, cabosil.  I was unfortunately introduced to that at the tail end of our QCM days.   There's a limit to how much you can add of course, it won't bring an insanely running ink like a fashion base back to a regular body, it'll just make a bucket of gloppy goop. 

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 07:33:32 AM »
we still have a 5 gallon bucket of Thickener #10 by Rutland...

as Rob Coleman says - it is EXTREMELY light.  add a gram (or less) at a time or the thickener will float out of the bucket while stirring.  its like stirring tiny down feathers into the ink.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 09:17:33 AM »
Just to throw a touch of confusion in there ;)  Cabosil is also called Fumed Silica.  Cabosil is the name of a company in Eastern Europe that manufactured it long ago and the name stuck like Xerox did in the old days.... at least that's what I was told some time ago ;)

You can actually use Cabosil in a number of different products to thicken it up. 

DO NOT BREATH IT IN!  It is a desiccant and will severely dry out anything it touches!  If you are hand stirring it is possible for some of it to fly up into the air... be aware of this.  It sucks to have it go up your nose.... been there done that :(
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 09:28:15 PM »
Thanks all, got some on order.
( I guess I coulda found it myself, but it's always cool to hear experiences and opinions )
Cheers.
 :)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 10:49:53 AM »
As I was playing with my 3 year old yesterday, we were making "snow" with corn starch and shaving cream and I began to wonder if you could use corn starch to thicken ink a little bit.  It reminds me a lot of ink thickener and it doesn't have anything in it that should react with the ink.  I doubt it's been tried before so maybe I'll try it this week and see what happens.  Can anyone think of any reason why it wouldn't work?
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline ol man

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 12:52:56 PM »
Alan,
   Had an employee once , who has work with belt printing, she said they used corn starch to thicken ---sounds sketchy at best to me, but thats what i was told

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 08:44:53 AM »
I've also heard of using talc.  I know of a company that used it on circuit boards when the ink was too thick.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 02:25:17 PM »
As I was playing with my 3 year old yesterday, we were making "snow" with corn starch and shaving cream and I began to wonder if you could use corn starch to thicken ink a little bit.  It reminds me a lot of ink thickener and it doesn't have anything in it that should react with the ink.  I doubt it's been tried before so maybe I'll try it this week and see what happens.  Can anyone think of any reason why it wouldn't work?

Not sure it would work in an oil based mix, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does.  I'd think if you add anything that won't react to heat or oil as filler, it will work--to some extent, at least.  I'd suppose anything that isn't balanced resin/plasticiser will weaken the cured deposit at some percentage, no matter what it is, like overloading pigment will.

We have some PLUS 9114, and it works, but it does not seem to positively affect most of the inks properties--notably buildup, flash time, and after flash tack.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 02:32:20 PM »
actually, corn starch will absorb oil as well...that is why it works in roux.  Although flour is easier and cheaper.

Also, you can use corn starch to remove oily stains on clothes as well.