Author Topic: Another reason to heart discharge  (Read 2864 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Another reason to heart discharge
« on: March 21, 2013, 02:51:23 PM »
Coming up is a six color job that would normally need a pls base if we were going that way.
Base, yellow, red, blue, green, orange, purple= 7 screens/fims/inks
But we're doing it with 3 films/screens/inks
Halftones? No. Solid overlays of yellow+ blue= green, red +yellow= orange etc. And of course no base. Extreme savings in prepress and set up. Transparent WB works wonders here. Tip: no white in the formulas!
Sure Pantone matches and real picky customers are a problem here but we do this for our own stuff and for people are general about color

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
Re: Another reason to heart discharge
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 02:55:11 PM »
Cool! Post some pics when it is done please.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 07:11:38 PM »
I just tried to do a yellow/orange/red print with discharge using just yellow and red, but I couldn't get a good orange with solid overlay, but, being DC newbie, I think my red was just too pigment overloaded to work with the yellow.... Sure was a nice red though!
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 07:28:56 PM »
how do you guys get a good yellow? I can get a bangin red with around 3% activator but my yellows are so flat in color, no vibrancy at all. just ran a 4 color job today and I could not get the yellow to look bright enough, tore it all down and I have to run plasticrap instead :-\....it was like a mustardy pale yellow. I was using sericol yellow gs, not the red shade...maybe too much activator?
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 07:36:57 PM »
Try about 4% on that yellow gs. It's still not eye popping but looks good.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 06:28:46 AM »
Rutland yellow and red pc 6% w/6% activator CCI base

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 10:28:40 AM »
Cool print! Thanks for the pics!

Offline noiseloops

• Verified/Junior
Another reason to heart discharge
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 02:29:06 AM »
Wow that is really nice!

Offline ol man

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 12:28:54 PM »
I just tried to do a yellow/orange/red print with discharge using just yellow and red, but I couldn't get a good orange with solid overlay, but, being DC newbie, I think my red was just too pigment overloaded to work with the yellow.... Sure was a nice red though!

What was your print order? - even though it can get a little messy with  contamination , the red getting into the yellow .  we often print the yellow after the red.

we just did a four color discharge yesterday - grey/ red/ yellow /white ( all cci, cci pigments, xcept the red has a dash of matsui in it, all 4 percent activator)... made for a real nice orange blend.

Offline ol man

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 12:30:38 PM »
Looks like a real nice white Tony... CCI white?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 09:25:20 AM »
Switched to the new Rutland. Little pricery but still about half of plastisol whies. It has a bluing agent

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 10:42:26 AM »
are you sure there are no halftones or dither? I see some fade over the white in the top of the 3...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 11:22:13 AM »
Yes HTs in the yellow and orange

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 01:43:38 PM »
how do you guys get a good yellow? I can get a bangin red with around 3% activator but my yellows are so flat in color, no vibrancy at all. just ran a 4 color job today and I could not get the yellow to look bright enough, tore it all down and I have to run plasticrap instead :-\....it was like a mustardy pale yellow. I was using sericol yellow gs, not the red shade...maybe too much activator?

not sure if that's the case, but it would make sense for it to turn greenish. If you add black to yellow, it turns green. You are starting with a green shade of yellow, so it's getting even worse. Tony always talks about adding a little bit of red to the yellow so it would not turn green. I think that might solve your problems.

We just printed some CCI discharge with their pigment system and 'was pretty happy with it. Yellow DC print we did yesterday looks great, nice and vibrant, looks like Pantone Yellow C. Very easy to mix even though it's pigment. I'll take it home and wash to see how it holds up.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 01:50:22 PM »
Yellows need 6-8% always. Try the RS yellow
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 04:57:58 PM by tonypep »