Author Topic: Just me being like Tony  (Read 1585 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Just me being like Tony
« on: March 12, 2013, 03:53:03 AM »
customer wanted the multicolored gradient. I did it with a 40 LPI dot and was surprised at how smooth it was. 3 color discharge mixed all the colors with CCI stuff. they didn't want the secondary colors so there is some drop off between the colors. I would have liked to have time to fix that.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 04:47:10 AM by Jon »

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Just me being like Tony
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 07:06:48 AM »
Pretty nice

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Just me being like Tony
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 07:48:08 AM »
Nice print Jon. Bet your\'re not missing that UB! Did you find it easier to print/setup in general? 40 DPI is a good starting point but I'll bet you'll find 55 just as easy. We find that the blends are a bit of a mini-trend for some of our markets and are milking the heck out of it. Hope you made some sales samples!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 09:33:50 AM »
Nice print. Gotta love limited color with high impact.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 11:29:29 AM »
Awesome. Good job!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 01:34:17 PM »

Thanks guys. It was a easy job. Didn't even touch the micros. I did the 40 LPI on it to give it some texture.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 02:06:01 PM »
Thats what we find on a lot of straight DC work. No pesky base to peek out. Set up times drastically reduced.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 02:12:45 PM »
Nice job Jon. Looks good.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 02:22:38 PM »
Thats what we find on a lot of straight DC work. No pesky base to peek out. Set up times drastically reduced.

My setup times are fast with Plastisol even with underbases (MHM with FPU). I think to be honest DC and plastisol is about the same amount of time for me. The times it saves on set up is about the same amount of time it takes me to mix the colors. It is a little easier to print on the press without having to monitor temps so I guess there is some time and frustration savings.

The reasons I am moving forward with more DC
• Better product to the client
• Larger prints are not an issue (no oversized flash)
• customer retention
• plastisol ink costs going up

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 02:31:14 PM »
Good point Jon I forget about that. We keep shelves of unactivated color so we aren't down waiting on ink. When you mix as you go the ink mixing time cancels out the setup savings. When we got more heavy with DC colors we took a couple of days making three shades of everything lin larger batches.
Reds, blues, grays etc etc. Only took a few days to come up with about 40 colors. We now have over 200 formulas with about 80 active colors. All of these are swatched off in test circles and archived in note books

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 04:19:40 PM »
I am planning on making up about a gallon of 10 to 15 colors as my standard colors here in the next month or so. I know that will save some time.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 08:21:13 PM »
Looks great!

I can't wait to standardize some DC colors.  Finally have the complete tool kit to do it (sericol RFU + PC to boost), just need the time.  I do like that most of the sericol colors can be used effectively straight from the bucket with the right % activator.  I just think they could pop a little more.

One awesome thing about that MHM is I imagine you can just pop out a screen, dump the ink off, rinse and try the next formula if your first mix doesn't look right after cure.  Doing 1-3 color changes before running a job is a real buzz kill for me.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 06:29:48 AM »
Couple of hints here. First; if you have a formula that is off, save it! Might come in handy later. Second, burn two test circle screens and get a helper person. They can rinse out the first screen while the second is being tested.