Author Topic: Rush Job  (Read 3884 times)

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
Rush Job
« on: March 06, 2013, 01:13:25 PM »
Well I had an interesting past 24 hrs. A good customer of ours, a school, had a rally today for a sports team that made it to the state finals. They called yesterday afternoon around 1:30 wanting 800 shirts for this morning at 10:00!! I was able to make it happen, ordered the shirts, drove down to Heritage in Columbus to pick them up and printing first thing this AM. Made us feel good that we were able to get artwork done, screens made and everything staged in a few hours. Our customer was as happy as can be.

Sometimes when things go right, I really like my job!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Re: Rush Job
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 01:23:39 PM »
Well I had an interesting past 24 hrs. A good customer of ours, a school, had a rally today for a sports team that made it to the state finals. They called yesterday afternoon around 1:30 wanting 800 shirts for this morning at 10:00!! I was able to make it happen, ordered the shirts, drove down to Heritage in Columbus to pick them up and printing first thing this AM. Made us feel good that we were able to get artwork done, screens made and everything staged in a few hours. Our customer was as happy as can be.

Sometimes when things go right, I really like my job!

Super quick turn, that's awesome.  We couldn't pull that off here.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 01:29:26 PM »
Rush jobs suck. I hope they paid out the @ss for them. If not then they will expect this same service on every job from now on. I had a good customer go bad once like that. I did the impossible and then that was there new expectation.

800 shirt rush in less then a day is very impressive.

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
We didnt charge them a huge rush, just bumped the price up .25 from our normal price. It helps that we were a little slower this week and that I have a supplier that is somewhat close that I was able to pick the shirts up. We do not do this every day! Everything just fell into place on this one...

This customer knows our regular turn around. They were ecstatic when we said we would be able to do it. If they weren't a good customer, Id have had to think harder about taking the job.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 02:08:59 PM »
We didnt charge them a huge rush, just bumped the price up .25 from our normal price. It helps that we were a little slower this week and that I have a supplier that is somewhat close that I was able to pick the shirts up. We do not do this every day! Everything just fell into place on this one...

This customer knows our regular turn around. They were ecstatic when we said we would be able to do it. If they weren't a good customer, Id have had to think harder about taking the job.

Sometimes this is all it takes to get a customer for life.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 07:56:23 PM »
That's rad.  We never get to do overnighters, though we offer it b/c we're in MT and nobody wants anything so bad they want to pay to overnight ship it into here on top of our rush charge.

25% upcharge is a very fair deal for a job on that timeline, I would've went 50% + any costs associated with expediting the garments in. I'm sure you have a very enamored client now and that word of mouth is more powerful than any advertising you could buy. 

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 08:05:36 PM »
That's rad.  We never get to do overnighters, though we offer it b/c we're in MT and nobody wants anything so bad they want to pay to overnight ship it into here on top of our rush charge.

25% upcharge is a very fair deal for a job on that timeline, I would've went 50% + any costs associated with expediting the garments in. I'm sure you have a very enamored client now and that word of mouth is more powerful than any advertising you could buy.

Zoo I think he only added $.25 to each garment. So he added $200 for the rush. Still an 800 shirt order with an added $200. I think If I could fit it in I would have.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 07:18:36 AM »
We have six salespeople and this was getting out of hand so we had a meeting a coupleof weeks ago. The sales reps were firmly reminded that this is the exeption and they need to inform the customers as such. I don't share pricing as that leads to the enevitable peeing contest but there is a charge associated with rushes. That said we do several a week. It can lead to other business.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 07:42:14 AM »
Again, our market is a bit different than most. We work a lot with with sports teams, a lot of Major and Minor League Baseball. Come playoff time, rushes are the norm. And no up charges for them for team business. It's what we do.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 09:11:58 AM »
It seems like we are doing things like this for customers a lot these days.  We've had a few of those 24 hours or less turnarounds this year and it does feel good when you can get something like that in and out so quickly.  The problem comes when those customers expect that every time they order.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 09:22:55 AM »
I blame the Internet

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 10:06:21 AM »
I will only do a rush job when it doesn't disrupt anything else... so its rare for us.  We give away a lot of work over time frames.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 12:13:40 PM »
We do normally charge a rush fee, and it varies by what it is we're trying to do and what time frame we have to do it in.  I think I've heard the 20% markup fee thrown around as a rush charge which seems reasonable to me.  Most of the time the sales person will come to me and ask if we can do the job and what has to be done to do it and we come up with a price on the spot.  We should probably have a standard fee for rush jobs but we all know all jobs are different.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 12:18:47 PM »
We do a tiered percentage. You'd be suprised how quickly these jobs turn from "we need them tomorrow!!!", to "oh one week will be fine". Typically if it's a friend or someone we like, we will waive it.

One Week/5 Business Days: add 10% of the total order
Three Business Days: add 15% of the total order
Two Business Days: add 20 % of the total order
Overnight: add 30% of the total order (not always available, please email us first!)
Within the day: add 50% of the total order (not always available, please email us first!)
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 01:09:22 PM »
Being able to do this sort of thing has netted us some major clients. Most that surprisingly don't
ask for the same the next time.