Author Topic: Grip tape on frames? Time sensitive.  (Read 3455 times)

Offline Mattie T

• Verified/Junior
Grip tape on frames? Time sensitive.
« on: February 20, 2013, 10:44:43 AM »
Is there some sort of grip tape that can go on static screens to help the mesh and glue stay bonded to the frame? I've been cleaning some old ones (ones that were here before I started working here) and it seems like there is a tape that goes along the frame. Any idea? If so, anyone know where I can get more? Nazdar maybe?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Grip tape on frames? Time sensitive.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 10:51:42 AM »
The tape you see is probably just the tape that we use to keep things cleaner. It keeps the ink from creeping between the mesh and the frame.
Typically, we use clear tape, 2-3" wide, and prefer a rubber based adhesive because it comes off cleaner.
There are also some more bulletproof tapes, like a blue version.

Otherwise, if the tape is on the outside edge of the mesh, perhaps the previous user either was keeping some mesh delamination in check, or was hoping to prevent it.

The rubber based adhesive tape I mentioned is readily available at places like Uline.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:54:33 AM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Mattie T

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 10:54:49 AM »
Nah, I know that. I'm talking about some sort of adhesive tape with a rough side, almost like sandpaper. You know how one side of an aluminum screen is rough so that the mesh can grab it? It's like that, except it's a tape or something similar. Without it, both sides of the frame are smooth.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 10:56:05 AM »
Perhaps it was added to help clamp the frames in the press securely?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:59:13 AM »
If it's like the strips added to stairs (and skateboards) a hardware shop should have it

Offline Mattie T

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:19:18 AM »
I think so. I'll check the hardware store. I didn't know if it was something that was specifically from screen printing. Thanks!

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 11:41:44 AM »
Question is why bother? I have seen millions of screens and never seen a tape like that and dont think there is a practical reason for this, any tape like this would be very expensive and just increase the cost of a frame, any decent restretch service can easily restretch screens no matter the condition, all they have to do is use proper glue and a bit of cleaning.
"No man is an island"

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 01:03:29 PM »
I think you're talking about polyken or R-tape (the blue stuff frog mentioned) 

It's not necessary, but can come in handy depending on your workflow and how people handle screens--more so on rollers than statics, IMHO.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 01:11:09 PM »
I think you're talking about polyken or R-tape (the blue stuff frog mentioned) 

It's not necessary, but can come in handy depending on your workflow and how people handle screens--more so on rollers than statics, IMHO.

Nope, with the reference to "sandpaper", I'm going with my skateboard/stair stuff to keep the frames from shifting in the clamps. It's the  "to help the mesh and glue stay bonded to the frame"  that muddies my mind a bit.

A little more info or a pic could help.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 01:12:21 PM »
Yeah, if you think there's a tape you put on the frame to glue the mesh to, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 01:15:25 PM »
Grip Tape is not cheap.

I wouldnt want any kind of sandpaper finish on my frames on any side because it would just cause wear every where something is rubbing against it like other frames.
"No man is an island"

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 01:33:06 PM »
if I was going to grip tape something it would be my screen holders.  That would be a stop gap fix for pneumatic screen clamps that are failing.

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 01:37:02 PM »
Yeah, if you think there's a tape you put on the frame to glue the mesh to, I'd be interested in seeing it.
Roughed up aluminum is the best surface to glue to.... If you used a grip tape, the adhesive between the tape and frame would become your weak point... A grinder or belt sander may fix your problem... Or just send your frames to me  ;D

Assuming I am reading this thread correctly  :o
Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!

Offline Mattie T

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 01:55:23 PM »
I usually use the alum frames with rough side. This is nothing of my doing, it was just how it looked. Lol. But I got it figured out I believe. It seemed to have been some type of material that mimics the "rough side" of a alum frame. Either way, I'm back to making screens.

I think..(and I can't be for sure, because again these frames were here before I was), that they sent them off to get re-stretched. It's certainly nothing we have on hand here.