Author Topic: Emergency Printer Help  (Read 1223 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Emergency Printer Help
« on: February 19, 2013, 10:52:16 AM »
We use an epson 1430 for our films, today the OEM Yellow ran out and have the dreaded blinking light. OK no prob head to staples to get a new set of inks and some extras. NONE IN STOCK! Go to BJ's none! Long story short we went to every single store in our area that sells ink including an epson repair shop, and not one place has any in stock. Come back get on the phone and called everywhere no one! WTF I cannot print one film and I need to print a bunch, and I need to do it yesterday, there has to be some way of resetting this damn chip even temporarily, someone on this board has to have an idea my god their has to be a way. I tried SCC utility but this model is not supported, there is another utility out there but I think it is a scam because they want you to do advertisement surveys, like on Facebook, give your phone number etc.

If I ever meet the person that decided they will hold every epson customer hostage with this BS I will do a lot more than a Homer's kick to the nuts.
"No man is an island"

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Emergency Printer Help
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 10:54:40 AM »
you can reset the carts if you have a resetter, I have one, i am not sure if it works with the 1400.  See if somebody local or within 1 day has one.

Also, quill might be able to deliver a new cart tomorrow.

That is the only thing I can think of to try.

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 10:57:44 AM »
mike

what do you need?  we still have our 3k running...let me know

sam

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 11:01:56 AM »
I am new to the world of Epons (my set of refillable carts and inks should arrive today or tomorrow). I don't have a 1430, but rather a discontinued 1100

I have read a lot, and even have another set of carts that claim to re-set when the two brass dots are jumped with a paper clip wire.
Another video I just saw yesterday said that some carts have a small hole underneath said dots, a poke with paperclip  wire in there does the trick.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 11:01:59 AM »
also, don't forget the refill places. rapid refill might be able to fill it on the spot for you, even if it's cleaning fluid!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 11:05:40 AM »
few thoughts:

do you have any old carts sitting around, maybe by the grace of God one of those may work?

are you cool with any other print shops in the area, maybe they can run a film or two? if not a screen shop, maybe a paper or sign shop?

make prints at staples on laser transparency

buy a new printer at staples, you need another one anyway...

I would possibly bail on fixing this printer today and move to other options, you may be wasting time on it.

we have 3 film printers, a back up for my back up because I went through this once - got the films over nighted and there was a typo..bad day for sure.....I also have a chip resetter, best 10.00 you'll ever spend. I thought you had refillable carts in that thing?
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 11:10:05 AM »
Thanks guys, I am going to try out Andy's ideas maybe something will work.

We can get ink for tomorrow no prob its today that sucks, I am avoiding buying a new one since we are going to get something more practical soon like a 4900. If any idea Andy gave does not work their is a shop down the road that has an image setter, its actually ours but we gave it to them on condition they print for us when needed, its to expensive for us to use practically.

I cant believe there is no ink for this printer any where, is it just another epson ploy to move customers on to the next piece of garbage printer?

Oh yea I do have old carts and tried them all to no avail. And Brad I do have an old resetter  that does not work anymore because Epson changed something in their chip software making older resetters useless.
"No man is an island"

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 11:15:27 AM »
All I can say is bulk ink in clear cartridges that way you can see them. This is a perfect example of why it is not cheaper to use factory cartridges. The lost day of printing is going to cost more than it would be to set up that printer with bulk ink for the next couple of years.

Mike a local supplier should have a chip resetter or at least the EPSON repair guy should have one. Put any ink in it and have them reset it for you. You can flush it later.

www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 11:16:16 AM »
I did also read that some firmware updates screw up some aftermarket cart resets, but as I said, I am new to the world of Epson.
I guess that when in doubt, avoid the firmware updates if possible.

I also like Pierre's idea of going to a re-fill franchise as they are probably also familiar with the reset procedure.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 11:22:11 AM »
All I can say is bulk ink in clear cartridges that way you can see them. This is a perfect example of why it is not cheaper to use factory cartridges. The lost day of printing is going to cost more than it would be to set up that printer with bulk ink for the next couple of years.

Mike a local supplier should have a chip resetter or at least the EPSON repair guy should have one. Put any ink in it and have them reset it for you. You can flush it later.

There is no available bulk system for this model, some claim to be able to do it but all you have to do is read the reviews and quickly realize it doesnt exist. Their is people selling bulk systems on ebay etc. and every review states it doesnt work.

We went to our closest repair guy and he could not reset this model either, epson is getting tougher and tougher on these machines.
"No man is an island"

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 03:46:54 PM »
Well, if there are no bulk suppliers, at least use refillable carts, and SAVE A FORTUNE on ink. Of course, that doesn't do much about today...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 04:01:12 PM »
Some Epsons do have a software reset as well as the ability to turn the ink sensors off completely.

I'd be surprised if all don't actually, I doubt Epson wants to install carts every time they test/repair.
Being able to get to the super secret menu is another thing entirely of course.

Odd note, my 9000 actually weighs the damn cart to see if anything is in there. We use water for all
but black.