Author Topic: How to print this....???  (Read 4918 times)

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
Re: How to print this....???
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 09:16:29 AM »
Give your customer the quote first and see if they want to spend that kind of money for seps and outsourcing it. They may come back and say just knock it down to 3 colors or something. I wonder what Toms raster program would do with it...

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 09:32:14 AM »
Give your customer the quote first and see if they want to spend that kind of money for seps and outsourcing it. They may come back and say just knock it down to 3 colors or something. I wonder what Toms raster program would do with it...

I find it more productive to get a budget from a client up front and present them with options that fit.....

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 10:25:02 AM »

I ran it through simple seps raster and it had 7 colors without a HW, BUT -if you really wanted to get it down, 5 colors was the fewest I could see. That's with one shade of blue, blue and yella making the green, and needing a base white. I wouldn't run it that way, but if it really had to be done, I suppose you could.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »
Rocfrog you guys must have a good customer base to only do spot colors and only up to 3 or 4 colors, I kinda like everyone else on this one unless you go full grayscale and put color in the flag.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 11:20:26 AM »
I have no customer control/contact here, or make any actual decisions on what we print and don't print. I have a feeling that we are going to outsource this because, I have no idea how to print a job like this with out getting into process type printing which is why I was asking how to do it......

Nick, if you want to keep it somewhat local here in Colorado we can print the job for you. If your interested shoot me an email and I will send you pricing for us to print it. I'm sure we can price it out so you guys make some money and retain the client.

Danny

I can run it by the sales person but I have a feeling they will just go with one of your competitors up there that I hate dealing with, but it's who they have always gone with....

for 100 shirts it's crying out to be done DTG.

I would LOVE a DTG machine but we don't have cool stuff like that here.  ;)

Not too crazy. There is a lot going on in that image.

I meant for our shop. I realize for most shops that pretty standard, but like I said before we only do 1-2 color spot jobs and every once in awhile 3-4 color spot but not often.

Rocfrog you guys must have a good customer base to only do spot colors and only up to 3 or 4 colors, I kinda like everyone else on this one unless you go full grayscale and put color in the flag.

Darryl

Not sure what your meaning by "a good customer base"...??? I not a fan of our customers, they (and the owners) limit us on what we can do. 99.9% of what we print is local high school sports stuff.....lots of names and numbers!

So I tinkered with it some more yesterday and recreated most of it, but the mountains and Garden of the Gods look like bad paint by numbers, LOL!!! So I told the sales person I'm not sure what they wanted to do and listed several options on how we "could possibly" print this. So I'll just wait and see what they say......

Nick

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 11:23:53 AM »
I ran it through simple seps raster and it had 7 colors without a HW, BUT -if you really wanted to get it down, 5 colors was the fewest I could see. That's with one shade of blue, blue and yella making the green, and needing a base white. I wouldn't run it that way, but if it really had to be done, I suppose you could.

How does Simple Seps Raster compare to Vector Magic?? I have been using the on-line version of Vector Magic for years now and like it for the most part, the new Live Trace in Illustrator is almost comparable now, but I like the simplicity of Vector Magic. But I'm always looking for "better" software to tinker with.

Nick

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 01:56:20 PM »
You can't compare a vectorization program to a separation program, can you?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 02:02:04 PM »
Now I see you guys do  a lot of ball team stuff we did to when we first open, but it didn't take long before I had to learn the ropes of 4cp, sim process multi color spots.  Sometimes I welcome those simply spot jobs they pay just as well and the turn around is quick.

Darryl
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:28:18 PM by 3Deep »

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 02:26:35 PM »
You can't compare a vectorization program to a separation program, can you?

Oh wait!? I think I read two comments together and assumed that he was referring to a vectorizing program........my bad....never mind.....

Nick

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
How to print this....???
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 06:15:09 PM »
Heck at 4 bucks no brainer

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 12:08:36 PM »
Ok so I had an idea pop into my head last night and came up with this!

I got it down to 4 colors, not sure how it'll print but I sent it to the sales person and we'll see if we go forward with it.....

Oh and I mocked it up on white because I still don't know shirt color....

Nick

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 12:23:48 PM »
I thought I mention that idea to you a few post above unless you mistook what grayscale is, anyway hope it all works out for you guys, and tell your boss to let you cut loose, more biz more dollars.

Darryl

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 12:39:01 PM »
I thought you were mentioning full grey scale.....??? My bad....it's been a ruff week here....

Anyway I used a technique that Sbrem mentioned to me in another "how to print this" post I did awhile back...

Nick

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 12:47:03 PM »

Darryl

I hear ya on the rough week... my wife has been gone for 20 days.  I'll be glad to have her back!!  Also glad to be leaving on my vacation in two days! ;)

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 12:54:48 PM »
Only thought would be to outline the CO flag, maybe in blue or black, gets kind of lost otherwise.

But yeah, that was my first thought when I saw this.

I bet one of the talented separators on this forum would be able to use the other
existing colors (blue, red, yellow) to come up with something cool for the central pic, maybe a sepia
tone type deal.