Author Topic: Anyone know anything about Strip doors for screen rooms?  (Read 1919 times)

Offline inkbrigade

Anyone know anything about Strip doors for screen rooms?
« on: January 31, 2013, 06:14:26 PM »
http://stripdoorstore.com/

Building a new screen room. It's going to have openings on both ends. I'd like to have UV light blocking strip doors. Something to keep the humidity in the room, and the UV light out. Also want to be able to easily move screen racks in and out.

I'd like to hear opinions on how wide the screen room doors should be. 3 feet? 4 feet wide? How tall? Also i don't know what gauge strips to get and how much over lap they should have.

Thanks!
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: Anyone know anything about Strip doors for screen rooms?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 06:17:49 PM »
I like your thinking on that. It would be nice not having to open a door when you have your hands full of stuff. The bad part and the reason this may not work is if you have to carry ink covered items (screens, floods and squeegees) into the room. You will get ink all over the stripes.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 06:35:24 PM by Jon »

Offline inkbrigade

Anyone know anything about Strip doors for screen rooms?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 07:48:13 PM »
I like your thinking on that. It would be nice not having to open a door when you have your hands full of stuff. The bad part and the reason this may not work is if you have to carry ink covered items (screens, floods and squeegees) into the room. You will get ink all over the stripes.
First rule of ink brigade is no ink in the screen room!
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline patfinn

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 09:10:36 PM »
What's in your screen room? Will it be just a place to coat and burn? A drying room? The only reason is humidity. I don't know how we'll those actually would keep the room climate controlled. I like your think though.
I think it would be awesome if you had a long screen room that you had different segments to. So in between the coating room and screen drying room there were strips, and any other sections you had.
Patrick Lashbrook
M&R Sales and Service
Technical Sales Associate
patrick.lashbrook@mrprint.com

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 12:38:44 AM »
First rule of ink brigade is no ink in the screen room!

That's a good rule.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 09:25:28 AM »
funny thing for us, we always had a 48" walk through opening and a heavy sheet of black plastic draped in front of it. keeps the light out and we could pass in and out easy. even though it's not totally sealed our de-humidifer would dry that room pretty fast and keep it dry if we leave it set. my new screen room has a door and is sealed but we are still going to use the old one in the back to coat and dry screens then move them in bulk to the new room for storage. Those strips, if hung right and enough are up, can actually do pretty good in keeping ambient conditions in or out.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline patfinn

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 10:50:55 AM »
funny thing for us, we always had a 48" walk through opening and a heavy sheet of black plastic draped in front of it. keeps the light out and we could pass in and out easy. even though it's not totally sealed our de-humidifer would dry that room pretty fast and keep it dry if we leave it set. my new screen room has a door and is sealed but we are still going to use the old one in the back to coat and dry screens then move them in bulk to the new room for storage. Those strips, if hung right and enough are up, can actually do pretty good in keeping ambient conditions in or out.

I stand corrected! glad to know it does keep what you want in and what you dont want out.

Thanks Mike
Patrick Lashbrook
M&R Sales and Service
Technical Sales Associate
patrick.lashbrook@mrprint.com

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 11:15:01 AM »
I built two screen rooms with UV blocking strip doors and both worked perfect. Very easy to install and you can adjust the amount of overlap to fit ur needs.

Grainger also sells the strips but cost more than other places so look aroound before you buy.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 11:19:25 AM »

I stand corrected! glad to know it does keep what you want in and what you dont want out.

Thanks Mike

You know what though Pat, you could be right too, my de-humidifier might not have to work as hard if it was sealed up better. Those strips look like when they are hanging flat they probably make a better seal than a sheet of plastic. But then again, we could always install a door with a double swing springloaded hing that can be pushed open and automatically swings shut =)
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 02:06:43 PM »
Crazy this subject just came up.  I bought some of this for our new delivery van and I was going to install the rest on our dark room door but I too was wondering about UV light coming through and the humidity levels.  I've got the ones installed in the van and had planned to put the rest up if I ever get the time.

So John, they make a special UV blocking strip?  Care to share where exactly you bought it from, I got ours from grainger.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 03:45:14 PM »
I honestly don't recall the company as it was back in 04 and 06 when I installed them. I do know it was a refridgerator/warehouse company who specialized in loading dock equipment and supplies. They carry the UV block ones so inside dock/warehouse workers and product weren't subject to sunlight exposure.

I didn't get the grainger ones as they were almost double the cost of the other guys.

They only had them in yellow or orange, I used the orange ones.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services