Author Topic: corner softening (m3/m6/mzx)  (Read 1489 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
corner softening (m3/m6/mzx)
« on: January 23, 2013, 03:19:54 PM »
I'm spending my down time stretching screens, and i'm wondering what is the correct, or appropriate way to soften corners on all three of these frames?

I understand how to soften corners, but i'm wondering if there is a guideline or a rule of thumb on how much to soften corners for each frame? Sometimes i feel i'm not softening enough, other times it's to much!

I especially feel this way on the mzx square bar frames.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: corner softening (m3/m6/mzx)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 05:17:27 PM »
There is a formula and I believe it depends on frame size more than anything. We use a business
card size piece of soft plastic so soften our 25x36's so that the mesh touches the table in the corner.
Works for us.

On the square bar frames you don't need to soften the corners closest to the square as much as the others.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 05:34:52 PM »
we use a 1 1/2 wide auto body squeegee works the nuts and it ain't bad on the mesh either.

Before you soften take a sharpie marker and mark the mesh right on the edge of the lock strip channel, about 2 to 3 inches long right on the edge.
Insert your softening tool as usual and wiggle the mesh out of the channel until you have moved the mark 1/4 to 3/8" and try to be sure the marker line is pretty straight as it comes away from the channel.
It doesen't want to be parallel it should be angling back to the channel but do so in a straight line as opposed to a curved or bent line.

You have softened the corners enough at this point stretch away.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Admiral

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 12:47:57 AM »
gotta document and figure out what is right per mesh count(could vary by manufacturer too)

end of this vid mentions that
Newman Roller Frame Corner Softening

I find that the Murakami S thread mesh needs less corner softening than standard meshes

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 06:05:05 AM »
That is what we do but we do not go much more than 3/8 of an inch and go a little farther up the roller again leaving a straight tapering back line like you see in the video. We also modify our locking strips  by shortening them slightly and changing the profile of the ends.
We end up with soft corners with little or no sag in the mesh which goes a long way to reducing spill out when coating.
I might add that softening corners is way more effective when the mesh is installed squarely from the start.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.