Author Topic: The Official TSB Photography Geek Thread  (Read 10075 times)

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: The Official TSB Photography Geek Thread
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2012, 04:09:42 PM »
... include a carbon fiber shutter rated to 400,000 actuations that can fire at up to 1/8000th of a second.

Now that's cool!

Offline thinkdesign

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2012, 01:12:12 AM »
Decided I needed a new camera for the shop. So A Canon T2i is now on my shelf.

Offline David005

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2012, 07:09:42 AM »
Newbie here to Photo World got the Nikon - D3100 w/ extra Nikon - 55-200mm lens. Having fun so far.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2012, 07:32:09 AM »
We have a 7D, a 40D, and 2 point and shoots. 

Some extra lens as well.  Love it.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2013, 02:52:03 PM »
'got back into this and picked up a used 50D and some glass and flash gear (with the money from the medium frame camera I sold). 'went out this weekend to take some pix. . .

'did not want to start a new thread, but would love to see some more pix posted here!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline cvreeland

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2013, 10:22:37 AM »
I recently traded up my old Nikon D50 for a used D80, and while it's not the latest & the greatest, I love it! Nabbed it for $300.00 & it had 2800 shutter actuations, which is nothing.

I've been slowly acquiring lenses -- I've got a nikon 50 mm f1.8 for speed, a Tamron 90 mm 1:1 macro, and just a couple weeks ago, I nabbed a used Tamron 18-200 mm zoom. I'd had my eye on the Nikon 18-200 mm but it was $800.00 -- out of my range (I have kids!). The Tamron was a fraction of the price & the guy at the camera shop said the main difference was that the Tamron wouldn't focus as fast in auto-focus mode. I'm okay with the tradeoff & it's my general-purpose lens now, and I'm able to put the 18-55 mm kit lens away for good.

Shot film for many, many years with a Pentax K-1000 & still have an 80's era Canon AE-1 & a 50's Era Zeiss Contina. I keep color slide film in the Canon & black & white print film in the Zeiss. For a consumer-level point & shoot, the Zeiss is a damn fine camera. It's a viewfinder, so you've got to guess on the focus ring, but when you guess right, you're rewarded. :-)

I keep my photo stuff up on Flickr Here. Just an amateur enthusiast.

We also have a Nikon D40 at work that I use almost every day for "digital proofs." Has made life soooo much easier. Print sample, take photo, email photo, get client feedback. We print for folks around the world, so no more mailing physical shirts, and locally, no more waiting for walk-in press checks.
Owner, writer Art Wear - a screen printing blog

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2013, 10:32:42 AM »
heres one taken with my phone (Epic 4g Touch), and filtered with instagram.  i would have loved to use my D7000 for this photo, but the focal length didnt work.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2013, 10:44:14 AM »
heres one taken with my phone (Epic 4g Touch), and filtered with instagram.  i would have loved to use my D7000 for this photo, but the focal length didnt work.

WOW! LOVE that shot!
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2013, 10:52:12 AM »
I recently traded up my old Nikon D50 for a used D80, and while it's not the latest & the greatest, I love it! Nabbed it for $300.00 & it had 2800 shutter actuations, which is nothing.

I've been slowly acquiring lenses -- I've got a nikon 50 mm f1.8 for speed, a Tamron 90 mm 1:1 macro, and just a couple weeks ago, I nabbed a used Tamron 18-200 mm zoom. I'd had my eye on the Nikon 18-200 mm but it was $800.00 -- out of my range (I have kids!). The Tamron was a fraction of the price & the guy at the camera shop said the main difference was that the Tamron wouldn't focus as fast in auto-focus mode. I'm okay with the tradeoff & it's my general-purpose lens now, and I'm able to put the 18-55 mm kit lens away for good.

Shot film for many, many years with a Pentax K-1000 & still have an 80's era Canon AE-1 & a 50's Era Zeiss Contina. I keep color slide film in the Canon & black & white print film in the Zeiss. For a consumer-level point & shoot, the Zeiss is a damn fine camera. It's a viewfinder, so you've got to guess on the focus ring, but when you guess right, you're rewarded. :-)

I keep my photo stuff up on Flickr Here. Just an amateur enthusiast.

We also have a Nikon D40 at work that I use almost every day for "digital proofs." Has made life soooo much easier. Print sample, take photo, email photo, get client feedback. We print for folks around the world, so no more mailing physical shirts, and locally, no more waiting for walk-in press checks.

some cool stuff in there too.  Thanx for sharing!

pierre

Offline cvreeland

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2013, 11:19:43 AM »

That looks like it could be a Grateful Dead album cover. Awesome shot.
Owner, writer Art Wear - a screen printing blog

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2013, 07:36:02 AM »
Duane you should have Brett or one of the boys sep that out and print some Serigraphs on cotton rag paper. I've done this on a Gauntlet before using a very light hobby spray adhesive. Great shot

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2013, 12:32:57 PM »
one from last week . . .

c'mmon, lets see some more!

pierre

Offline nobrainsd

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2013, 01:16:57 PM »
Hello, My name is Nobrainsd and I am a photography geek...

Started out building my own camera housing back in the 70's to shoot surf. Bashed the first one on the reef and flooded my first slr (pentax). I'm just shooting with a Canon 40D now. I think I love my 500mm Century telephoto the most. I haven't busted out the Nikon Rangefinder (I have a superb piece of glass for it , a Nikkor 28mm) nor the 630, the Bolex 16mm or any of the other film cameras I've got in a long time. Sad. I think my Canon Elph in it's waterproof case gets the most abuse!

Went out on a boat recently to take some shots for a web page . There was another photographer aiming for tight close ups. I was shooting for wider frame images to be used as backgrounds on the web pages. Great fun! I rode up front since I had the cheapest gear and huddled over my camera when we would catch spray. So much fun having riders cut right out to our boat. Should at least get credit this time (they liberated some of my work on their previous site).

C'mon, post more pics!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2013, 01:28:50 PM »
it looks like you were not the only one having fun!!!

pierre