Author Topic: The Official TSB Photography Geek Thread  (Read 10076 times)

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
The Official TSB Photography Geek Thread
« on: June 15, 2011, 03:20:39 AM »
Ok...

Whatcha got?

I have the basics:

Nikon D70s
Ancient (mid 1980's) Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI-S manual focus
Nikkor AF-S 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED
Ancient Sunpack 383 Super strobe

Looking to get a couple more lenses and a new body, something that has better high ISO performance. Nikon D7000 is on the short list, or a D300 or D300s if I can find a clean one used.

Anyway....some random pics:

There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline inkbrigade

Re: The Official TSB Photography Geek Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 05:09:55 AM »
Great pics!
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 11:41:53 AM »
Canon fan here. several cameras, but nothing really nice in 35mm. Have nice Fuji medium format that was only used for few rolls of film. 'shame it's sitting here unused . . .

few pix, most are pretty old.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:57:42 AM by blue moon »
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 11:43:25 AM »
few more . . .
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:58:25 AM by blue moon »
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 11:53:56 AM »
GRAT pix Evo and Pierre!

The Nikon D7000 is a great camera. Probably the best one out there in its price rage. From everything I heard, it's a WAY better deal than the D300.

Like everything else, it's the photog and not the gear, though. I went with Canon when I made the switch from film to digi.

Canon 30D (Love that rear dial) is a 6-year old 6MP workhorse that still delivers awesome results. If I ever upgrade, I'd really like a full frame 5D or 5D MkII.

Glass:
Canon 10-22 F/3.5 - 4.5 (WIDE angle. My favorite lens)
Canon EFS 17-55 F/2.8 (great low-light SHARP zoom)
Canon 50 F/2.8 Macro (for shooting artwork)
Canon 100-400 L (For birdies and other far away things)
Sigma 18-200 (Super zoom for travel)

I got a Canon Powershot S90 last year and it takes such nice pix, and is so small and versatile, I find I'm using it more for traveling. GREAT shots, even in low light, full manual mode and fits in my pocket.

THe archaeological fieldwork I sometimes do requires me to still use film. I have two AE-1s with a variety of primes.

One cool thing is a special metal ring that allows me to mount an old F-Mount lens backwards onto my digital 30D body. The result is a cheap but awesome macro rig! Especially when I use a wide-angle lens.

I've been lax about posting photos, but here's a link to my Flickr page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seibel/sets/

Maybe this thread will kick my butt into posting some more up there.

Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 11:57:41 AM »
My brother deals film cameras (and teaches repair).
I have sent him dozens from garage sales including an old Leica Sharkskin. He messes about with some Russian Leica copies as well.
I still have four or five 35's kicking around though I haven't used them since we got the Canon 40D.

Though we had a Canon AE-1 and AT-1, my favorite for the last few years was a Konica TC

On a side note, he was recently very excited to tell me that a buddy of his from a camera club was building Stereoptic units and discovered that old hard drives provide plentiful and inexpensive mirror material.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Donnie

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 12:07:33 AM »
My first passion was photography back in the day I did a 10 year stint as wedding photographer.  I shot with a Pentax 645 and Sun Pack dedicated flash. I used portable White Lightning flash units with slaves for groups and posed pics. I really loved going on locations for pre-wedding shots but I actually hated the "hurry up and shoot" atmosphere and the "Where in the F did he go we need him for this shot" stress of wedding day.  Holy Sh!t I could tell stories for hours about some of the nightmares...

In my collection I have

Nikon D 80
Pentax 645
Cannon AE1
An old mamiya twin lens.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1012651072100.2001890.1099722212

« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 12:10:12 AM by Donnie »

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 01:00:34 PM »
Annnnd I'm prepping for a trip with the band next week and my camera's battery charger walked off...

Borrowing my wife's Nikon D40. This thing is tiny but it takes some great shots. I miss all the dedicated buttons though, fumbling through menus is a pain. With the D70s can switch all the essential things with the camera glued to my eye.
Crazy thing about the D40 (and the D70/s) - unlimited flash sync. Fun.

Looked at a Nikon D300s and a D7000 yesterday. Toss up for me. The D7000 is amazing (like the best thing Nikon has ever put out) but the D300s is just a brick house, pro-level camera and fits my hand better.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 02:36:06 PM »
The biggest gripe that I have with the digital camera offerings right now, is the lack of viewfinders on anything but (relatively) conventional DSLR's.
Canon G series I think one Nikon model still retains them, and the "Pen" type compact SLR's have hot shoe add-ons. Otherwise, it's the straight-arm style of shooting that I hate for most other choices!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 03:35:32 PM »
The biggest gripe that I have with the digital camera offerings right now, is the lack of viewfinders on anything but (relatively) conventional DSLR's.
Canon G series I think one Nikon model still retains them, and the "Pen" type compact SLR's have hot shoe add-ons. Otherwise, it's the straight-arm style of shooting that I hate for most other choices!

Yeah, I checked out a Nikon P7000, it's their top point and shoot (hot shoe, tons of dials, etc) and I was like "Oh killer, a viewfinder!"

Almost useless. Super tiny, major crop, no info in it.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 05:08:10 PM »

Yeah, I checked out a Nikon P7000, it's their top point and shoot (hot shoe, tons of dials, etc) and I was like "Oh killer, a viewfinder!"

Almost useless. Super tiny, major crop, no info in it.

So we picked up the Nikon P7000 for my wife. Once you get past the viewfinder it's an amazing camera. You can actually run it in full manual control and it gives you quick access to all the major functions. Even has a hot shoe. On a point and shoot. Weird huh?

Also picked up the newer Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G. Super sharp and fast for $200.

ALSO ordered a Nikon D7000 with a battery grip. It's photo-month here.

Offline shellyky

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 08:31:29 AM »
Canon 40D
Canon 430ex II
Canon 28-135
Sigma 10-20
Sigma 70-300
Various Accessories like Cokin P ND filters, etc.

im due for a new model upgrade--woud LOVE LOVE LOVE to have a 5d mark II, but ill probably have to settle for a 7d or wahtever the next model will be i assume comes out in sept.  I also want to get the nifty fifty/fantastic plastic 50mm eventually--that looks fun.

photography is my hobby but i unfortunately never really get time anymore to take pictures of anything but shirts and hats.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 05:56:42 PM »

photography is my hobby but i unfortunately never really get time anymore to take pictures of anything but shirts and hats.
Hah! Tell me about it.

I'm doing a two week tour with the band coming (Europe) up so that is the only time I get to do any real shooting.

Offline thinkdesign

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 05:15:23 PM »
I'm looking at getting a canon T2i, any thought?  I am from the film era with my Nikon FM2. Been using a Canon powershot for the last few years shooting toy soldier dioramas.

Thanks

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 11:33:59 PM »
I'm looking at getting a canon T2i, any thought?  I am from the film era with my Nikon FM2. Been using a Canon powershot for the last few years shooting toy soldier dioramas.

Thanks

The big thing is glass, not bodies. If you still have a bunch of Nikon glass from back in the day you can make it work on many of the digital bodies. If you have no lenses at all, then you are at square one.

This chart rules:
http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html

My suggestion would be to set a max budget and go pick up some cameras to get a feel for them. Most of the decent DSLR's from Nikon and Canon will produce excellent images, (especially anything north of 8 megapixels) -  it all comes to personal preference in how the camera feels in your hand and how comfortable you are with the menu system.

I prefer the Nikon bodies because they are quick to use. Once you get the button/wheel combos down you can fly through the settings without digging into menus.