Author Topic: Inexpensive Wireless-N adapter?  (Read 2875 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Inexpensive Wireless-N adapter?
« on: January 15, 2013, 10:28:38 AM »
Is something like this a definite waste of time or viable in short distance normal residential wall situations?
I'm looking at about 50'-60'.

I see fancy ones with antennas, even some with remote antennas. Some even look a little big and clumsy to hang from the usb port.

http://www.frys.com/product/7027881?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Inexpensive Wireless-N adapter?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 10:32:35 AM »
I cant reccomend any one for you but I can warn you on which one not to get and that is a Belkin. I bought a run of the mill one a while back and I could not get reception through one wall ten feet away, I replaced it with a typical link sys and now able to penetrate all walls to the outside.

One question for you Mac users, look at the paragraph above and see how I was unable to correctly type "link sys" <<<<<<<< This F-ing safari will not let me type a lot of words correctly if it does not know it. Its pissing me off How the hell do I turn it off?
"No man is an island"

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 10:45:06 AM »
...you can get a wireless "repeater". Its a small box that just plugs into a wall, receives the signal and then re-broadcasts it out, acting as a clone hub I guess. I have one at my house downstairs, it picks up the signal from the router upstairs and renders is receivable for devices down stairs.I imagine it would probably work in your situation.
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 10:52:46 AM »
...you can get a wireless "repeater". Its a small box that just plugs into a wall, receives the signal and then re-broadcasts it out, acting as a clone hub I guess. I have one at my house downstairs, it picks up the signal from the router upstairs and renders is receivable for devices down stairs.I imagine it would probably work in your situation.

That seems like a solution for when one has trouble with a network over a larger area than mine (I am a single story).
Currently, my wife's laptop, as well as a television and a Blue Ray player (and smartphones of visitors) all get connected. As I said, it's a short run.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 11:21:28 AM »
They are out of stock currently but we just started stocking these and I am using one on the longest distance I can run in this office (literally) and it's solid.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166056

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 11:24:33 AM »
Just checked... full strength, a little over 40', 4 walls (some metal studs) connected to a Linksys WRT-54GL (not N on the router end).

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 11:51:48 AM »
Thanks, but it doesn't exactly answer the specific question of a cheapie like this patriot working in a seemingly non challenging set-up.

That said, I have no problem with spending a few more bucks if it is truly needed or even advantageous.

I will soon be getting a new router as it is part of our new Cable tuner/DVR. I presently use a Netgear WNR2000. I don't know if the new router will change anything.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 12:10:51 PM »
Frog..thanks for posting, i was just about to look into this today..I do have about 40' and some walls...so gilligan...ya think that will work the one you have posted?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 12:16:15 PM »
Gilly's Rosewill is out of stock at Newegg. Amazon has it (about $26) but an even better deal here:
http://www.buy.com/prod/rosewill-rnx-n180ube-ieee-802-11n-usb-wi-fi-adapter-300-mbps-external/228545820.html

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 12:57:56 PM »
They are out of stock currently but we just started stocking these and I am using one on the longest distance I can run in this office (literally) and it's solid.

Guess I should have put some emphasis on it. ;)

You want something that works right?  I don't recommend junk.  You want something cheap, that IS cheap as it it works well and is like $20 bucks... can't beat that.

Rob, should work fine... I'm pretty pleased with it.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 01:34:32 PM »

Guess I should have put some emphasis on it. ;)

You want something that works right?  I don't recommend junk.  You want something cheap, that IS cheap as it it works well and is like $20 bucks... can't beat that.

Rob, should work fine... I'm pretty pleased with it.

Chill bro,I saw that you mentioned that they were of of stock at Newegg, but correctly figured that they were sold by another dozen or so discount dealers, hence my half minute of research for Rob (and perhaps myself)

My question is not if the first one was junk, but rather if it was adequate as I figure that anything like this, including the Rosewill, selling at less than $20 here was made for pennies in China or Malaysia or Thailand, etc. It's all junk. Some just work better than others.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 02:14:28 PM »
I use a Linksys WRT-54G at home, my computer hardwired to it, and the wife's upstairs wirelessly. My iPod and iPad work out in my yard, I'm finding roughly a 40' radius.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 02:52:06 PM »
btw, Rob and Gilly, I just ordered one of the Rosewills

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 09:31:27 AM »
Trust me, I wasn't worked up, hence the " ;) " after my comment.

I understand that they may not cost more than the initial one posted to make... but doesn't mean they are equal in performance.  Lots of times they do use different chipsets which do make a difference.  Also the one I posted has an "antennae" which definitely helps and you are less likely to just plug it into a port behind the computer and neglect the fact that it now has to climb around another block of metal (metal and microwaves don't get along).  We have this little guy sitting on top of my guy's tower and it gets full signal, I didn't expect full signal.  I imagine that the dongle style would "work" but if you are looking for N type wireless than you should spend the extra dough to get a solid connection or that speed will quickly be dumbed down to below G levels anyway.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 10:30:32 AM »
Yep, I'm a little stoked. New box for the art (and forum duties) room, old box to the reception area where I will finally be online for the clients there who need that (oh, I was supposed to bring you the file? Well you can see the logo at blahblahblah.com.

Gotta admit that I was a little tempted to get the present machine online just to see how long it would take to update Windows XP SP2 from an original install!