Author Topic: Wireless laser for Mac  (Read 1155 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Wireless laser for Mac
« on: January 07, 2013, 03:30:30 PM »
Doing a bunch of upgrading here this winter. Need to find a wireless laser that will work with Mac. Simple down and dirty document printer, no multi-function BS needed. Problem is all the ones I check out every single one has buyer comments stating wireless never works for crap. This goes for Brothers, Samsungs, and HP's the most. I like the Brother lasers seem like nice reliable units but unsure about the two part toner cartridge and drum deal, does it turn out more or less expensive in the long run?

So does anyone have any advice on a wireless laser for Mac that actually works wirelessly?
"No man is an island"

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Wireless laser for Mac
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 03:37:26 PM »
Not on a Mac, but our laser just came in today. Even in the manual it has some caveats regarding
wireless connectivity. Personally, I wouldn't trust it. Especially if your workflow depends on the printer working.
(IE I used to work at a place where a pick sheet was printed and that's what we worked from. If it got "lost"
between the print button and the printer it would be "lost" in the system.)

Double check drum/toner prices before committing.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 04:03:03 PM »
Brother Printers are pretty good for that.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 04:11:58 PM »
We've been using a HP 1320 for years, but it's not wireless. I would just plug in the USB cable and fahgeddaboutit, but I get the "Damn it, this is supposed to work. GRRRRRR..." part. They tell you that you can do A or B, you buy the equipment, and it doens't work. Only slightly maddening.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 04:23:45 PM »
We've been using a HP 1320 for years, but it's not wireless. I would just plug in the USB cable and fahgeddaboutit, but I get the "Damn it, this is supposed to work. GRRRRRR..." part. They tell you that you can do A or B, you buy the equipment, and it doens't work. Only slightly maddening.

Steve

Every computer here has a laser already installed, but we are looking for a central printer for things like job tickets etc. The boss is upgrading to Mac and wants to go the no more wires route, can't blame him since he sees my desk all nice and neat with the Mac I have. Tho Steve I think you solved my problem, we can just plop it down near a network line and plug it in directly, then comes the hassle figuring out how to make it work on the network ugh I hate network stuff!
"No man is an island"

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 04:31:48 PM »
Ethernet? If so, plug it in, then on the Mac, go to System Preferences, click on Print and Fax, and on the left side at the bottom, click the "+" sign, it should locate the printer on the network, then click "add"; at least that's usually it. All of our computers can see all of our printers, whether film, color inkjet or laser. Good luck bud.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 04:53:02 PM »
I have a canon mfp 8350 networked in the office. It is great. It may be wireless, I am not sure.  I have it connect on a cable.
I have an hp cm2320 at home. It is also wired to the network and it is fantastic.
I run mostly everything on my macbook pro os 10.6.8. I have not had any problems with either machine.
Matt
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 04:56:44 PM »
Ethernet? If so, plug it in, then on the Mac, go to System Preferences, click on Print and Fax, and on the left side at the bottom, click the "+" sign, it should locate the printer on the network, then click "add"; at least that's usually it. All of our computers can see all of our printers, whether film, color inkjet or laser. Good luck bud.

Steve

Sounds like Mac makes it easy, on a PC I have always struggled with anything concerning networked. Groups, sharing, permissions blah blah blah always a mess lol. In fact I have one laser already plugged in to the ether and my PC sees it but if I try to print to it I get some BS about user group, user group? What frigging user group? Thanks for the tips Steve.
"No man is an island"

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 08:10:42 PM »

Steve

That's what I've got. Ethernet cable to the wireless router, then I use my laptop anywhere within reach of the network. I print off an old Laserjet 5M. Works great.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 09:30:45 AM »
the newer printers on a network are easy.  they used to be a pain, but not anymore.  it's so much faster than it used to be.

I just put in a color laser from Brother, thing is hella good.  Setup is a breeze.  It is a multi-function, but I still think I got it for around $350 with some rebates.