Author Topic: Hi I am an using your trademark hope its ok  (Read 1753 times)

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Hi I am an using your trademark hope its ok
« on: December 19, 2012, 11:57:21 AM »
A friend of mine owns a gymnastics studio, today a lady comes in with his logo on a hoodie done in rhinestone. He asked if she made it and the lady tells him no I got it from this place online. Turns out this site has an entire page on their site with nothing but his gyms logo on it. So he calls and asks what she is doing, she says oh sorry but a lot of people go to your gym and its a great logo I was hopping you wouldn't mind but if its a problem I won't sell your stuff anymore.  Have you ever heard of people doing this? I couldn't believe it.

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Hi I am an using your trademark hope its ok
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 12:11:37 PM »
I would push for part of the profits, and push pretty hard so she learns a lesson.
'would also set a precedent for anybody else thinking they could get away with it.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline broadway

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 12:55:07 PM »
Whoever owns the mark has to defend it or anyone can use it. I would suggest contacting the defender with a ceasae and desist letter. That way you will have a paper trail. She might admit to infringing right now but that can change at any moment. Another option is teaming up with her or another party to supply the product.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 01:01:13 PM »
Zazzle, CafePress, etc, have been doing this for years.

Usually it's the big semi-recognizable companies that get their toe's stepped on,
but I guess it's not surprising it's coming down the ladder.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 01:43:29 PM »
2 options..

Cease and desist

Or

Agree on a % of the profit
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 02:03:01 PM »
Is this a "registered" trademark?.....

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
Is this a "registered" trademark?.....

don't think it matters. any art belongs to the creator unless licensed or the ownership was released in some way. It might be easier to enforce the registered trademarks, but it should stand on it's own as art.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 03:12:57 PM »
I was just going to mention it would be much more likely to go on copyright law than trademark law--your trademark is to keep other people from making marks similar to yours in the same trade--i.e. someone starts a gym and rips off their logo, that would be 'diluting' their mark.  This is just out and out graphic theft...

Take it in a different medium and context it sounds even more ridiculous--
"I really liked your video game, so I started selling copies online--That's cool, right?"
"Hey, I like the songs you play, so I started selling CD's of them.  Hope you don't mind."

Sounds to me like someone is not realizing the irony of their 'playing dumb'.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Hi I am an using your trademark hope its ok
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 03:20:07 PM »
I told him to send a letter, then go file in at least small claims court. The kicker is we have been discussing more things to offer people and his wife is like hey can you do rhinestones like she did. I wonder what she was thinking, obviously the people buying the stuff would be involved with the gym and they would see it.

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 03:23:35 PM »
don't think it matters. any art belongs to the creator unless licensed or the ownership was released in some way. It might be easier to enforce the registered trademarks, but it should stand on it's own as art.

pierre

Would a rhinestone "interpretation" be different enough to actually not be a copyright issue?....

However, I suspect most businesses would stop doing it  if they received a "cease & desist letter".....