Author Topic: Solid State Hard drive  (Read 4906 times)

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Solid State Hard drive
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 10:02:19 AM »
But is Samsung a decent brand for an SSD?.....I have lots of Samsung in my house and they seem okay.....But no computer equipment.....

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 10:10:36 AM »
Just got a 240gb Intel for 165. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 08:40:57 AM »
But is Samsung a decent brand for an SSD?.....I have lots of Samsung in my house and they seem okay.....But no computer equipment.....

I don't know. I'd read a few reviews on the net, but that can be frustrating. I bought a Kingston 120 SSD from a Craigslist ad for $50, and it seems fine, even though it's pretty old (in computer years, which are like dog years...only worse).

Wow graphic disorder, you must have some huge programs, or an awful lot of them. Seriously, you don't have any data on your boot drive??!?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 08:44:46 AM by Itsa Little CrOoked »

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 09:10:58 AM »

I don't know. I'd read a few reviews on the net, but that can be frustrating. I bought a Kingston 120 SSD from a Craigslist ad for $50, and it seems fine, even though it's pretty old (in computer years, which are like dog years...only worse).

Wow graphic disorder, you must have some huge programs, or an awful lot of them. Seriously, you don't have any data on your boot drive??!?

No data at all on our boot drives here.  Each computer here has a large secondary drive in each machine.  Most of the time a drive fail is the OS drive in my experience, so to be most safe data is kept on other drives. 

I don't feel I have a lot of programs at all.  I have CS5 Suite, Fastmanager, Serpation Studio, Office, Cute FTP, Quicken, Chrome, Versa Check, hmmm that's all the ones that amount to much. 

The killer I think and I need to look at it is probably iTunes, that is the one program I think that keeps some data still on the OS drive.  (album artwork and so on).  I have a HUGE music collection, the actual music lives on a 3rd drive which is music only.  Plus I assume my iPhone back ups are living in iTunes I would assume as well.  My 240 will be here today.  It's one of those things its so cheap for these drives why not have more.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 09:15:30 AM »
Just looked, yup iPhone back ups, man those were eating a lot of space.  Had some in there from old phones.  I now have 13gb free.  But hey no big deal, I still want a bigger drive. 

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 09:20:24 AM »
Here is the drives in my main computer.

C: OS/Programs (SSD)
D: Music (WD Green)
E: Scratch Disk (10RPM Vraptor)
W: Main Data Drive (WD Black)
F: Seagate External (Copies W: each night)

Then our server copies all of those every night other than the external.  So I have 3 copies of my most important stuff and 2 of everything else.  Each computer here is very similar to this. 

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 09:23:04 AM »

I thought I had posted this, guess I got pulled away.

Samsung is one of the few companies that actually produce all their chips.  So, say you buy a Crucial or AData drive... who knows what chips are inside.  But with the Samsung, you know you are getting Samsung parts.

Do I have a Samsung?  Nope, I got whatever seems to be the best bang for the buck at the time. ;)

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 08:54:15 PM »
I didn't know Samsung built its own chips. That's good to know.

Brandt, I still think you have something going on with your Boot Drive, some data mirroring or....gosh....I really have no idea. I don't have CS-5 so maybe it's just gargantuan.

If you are doing a clean install on the 240, keep track of how things progress in terms of OS data usage, and if you please, report back to just to satisfy my curiosity.  Something seems off to me, and I'll wager you won't get back to 111Gigs when you quit.  But hey, with a 240 Boot, you could do 1 (One) cloned backup FAAAAST then send it to your network storage.

I can't tell you how much I HATE doing fresh installs on old rigs, when I could have used Acronis. You'd have to be an egghead to enjoy that sort of thing. If it's a new rig, it's a little less painful. YMMV.  I like to do work WITH my computers, not work ON them. (oh maybe a little....)

I LOVE Acronis True Image. Mine is an old version that runs off of a "live" CD, and every so often, I go snatch a new image from each of my workstations.  But if any of them were 111GB's it would take a good bit of time.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 11:33:34 PM »
Directron is local for me -

Samsung 120G - 99.99
http://www.directron.com/mz7td120bw.html

Mushkin 180G - 144.99
http://www.directron.com/mknssdcr180gb.html

But seriously, don't think size on these like you have been doing for years.  I know size matters (in some circles), but these drives are best used as only your System Drive containing just the operating system and the installed application programs.  That's where they function the best.  Fast boot up, super fast program startup and fast processing.

Keep data on your secondary (non SSD) drives, be they internal or external.

With that said, even a 50-100G drive would be a huge improvement over what you're probably used to.

BTW, I run a 120G SSD.  Unsure of the brand.  Been using it for over a year.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 12:32:21 AM »
Wayne I looked at that Samsung and it has a write speed of 130MB/s.....It looks like the one NewEgg has is newer and has a write speed of 390MB/s....That sounds like a lot of difference but does it matter?...

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 01:39:09 AM »
By default Windows will create a "swap file" (pagefile.sys) equal to the size of your RAM... so given that Brandt LOVES his RAM so much that means that by default he has a 32 gig page file.  Plus they have a hibernate file by default as well, you have to turn that off via some command line magic.

Then add to that Brandt still has some Vista machines, I don't think he has upgraded to Win 7 since last we discussed it.  Well, Vista is TERRIBLE with their Winsxs folder and there isn't much you can do about it.  Win 7 isn't nearly as irresponsible about it but still pretty bad and there is a slick command line that you can run that cleans it up a good bit.  More updates the worse it is, so that is partially why Vista is probably so bad since it had a need for so many updates.

I had to upgrade someone's store bought Vista machine because the Winsxs folder was so out of control... totally dumb, put her on Win 7 and haven't heard a complaint still!

My wife has a measly 60 gig SSD in her system (Windows 7).  She has 16 gigs of ram, but I squashed the swap file (she doesn't need it) and also trimmed the Winsxs folder and turned off hibernate.  She has CS5 most of the suite (yes, it's a HOG), Office 2007 Pro full suite, Access 2003 (runs better than the 2007 version), Sony Vegas 12 pro... various other programs that she needs to do her work.  Her machine is snappy and doesn't really have space issues... she did forget to move the drop box by default and started to run out of space till I showed her what was taking up all the space.  I use a nifty little app that visually lets you see the whole hard drive and what is taking up most of the space.

So, 120 should be PLENTY and if it gets tight, a little tuning will fix that up.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 08:00:13 AM »
By default Windows will create a "swap file" (pagefile.sys) equal to the size of your RAM... so given that Brandt LOVES his RAM so much that means that by default he has a 32 gig page file.  Plus they have a hibernate file by default as well, you have to turn that off via some command line magic.

Mines off, been off since day one.

Then add to that Brandt still has some Vista machines, I don't think he has upgraded to Win 7 since last we discussed it.  Well, Vista is TERRIBLE with their Winsxs folder and there isn't much you can do about it.  Win 7 isn't nearly as irresponsible about it but still pretty bad and there is a slick command line that you can run that cleans it up a good bit.  More updates the worse it is, so that is partially why Vista is probably so bad since it had a need for so many updates.

Correct here, that folder is like 17.5gb on my computer and that is after the vsp1cln.exe. 

I had to upgrade someone's store bought Vista machine because the Winsxs folder was so out of control... totally dumb, put her on Win 7 and haven't heard a complaint still!

I assume Win 7 is better for sure, but I haven't a complaint about Vista really.  No crashes, very quick, works as described, other than using too much drive space which drives are fairly cheap, that's a very easy fix.

My wife has a measly 60 gig SSD in her system (Windows 7).  She has 16 gigs of ram, but I squashed the swap file (she doesn't need it) and also trimmed the Winsxs folder and turned off hibernate.  She has CS5 most of the suite (yes, it's a HOG), Office 2007 Pro full suite, Access 2003 (runs better than the 2007 version), Sony Vegas 12 pro... various other programs that she needs to do her work.  Her machine is snappy and doesn't really have space issues... she did forget to move the drop box by default and started to run out of space till I showed her what was taking up all the space.  I use a nifty little app that visually lets you see the whole hard drive and what is taking up most of the space.

So, 120 should be PLENTY and if it gets tight, a little tuning will fix that up.

We clearly come from different schools.  You would rather spend your time to make something work, I would rather spend my money so I can use my time how I want. 

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 08:35:47 AM »
Brandt, I've literally spent 10 mins doing said maintenance.  Besides, I've also got people that do that for me given that I own a pc repair shop. ;)

We couldn't find our PC speaker to slap in a customer's pc to test for POST beeps while trouble shooting the other day and I said "I know the wife's computer has one" so I pulled the cover off and noticed the fan had a bit of dust collecting on it.  I said "hey, get the can of air and vacuum and clean this guy up real quick."   Done. ;)

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 08:53:42 AM »
Brandt, I've literally spent 10 mins doing said maintenance.  Besides, I've also got people that do that for me given that I own a pc repair shop. ;)

We couldn't find our PC speaker to slap in a customer's pc to test for POST beeps while trouble shooting the other day and I said "I know the wife's computer has one" so I pulled the cover off and noticed the fan had a bit of dust collecting on it.  I said "hey, get the can of air and vacuum and clean this guy up real quick."   Done. ;)

That's awesome, but I don't have a PC Repair shop, so I will buy larger drive ($40 bucks more or something) and not have to worry about it ever again. 

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 11:00:01 PM »
Wayne I looked at that Samsung and it has a write speed of 130MB/s.....It looks like the one NewEgg has is newer and has a write speed of 390MB/s....That sounds like a lot of difference but does it matter?...

Gilligan might be a better source to answer that as he's probably a lot more current on stuff.  But I'm thinking yes there probably is a difference.  Whether you would or how much you would notice, I don't know.  I'm sure other factors can enter into to it too like the buss speed of the motherboard, your processor, etc, etc.   
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers