Author Topic: Chickens  (Read 3074 times)

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Chickens
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 04:18:59 PM »
Family up the road from my place has a huge population of Guinea hens, absolutely bizarre looking birds but he says they taste fantastic tho I do not know if they have edible eggs.

Gotta clip one of their wings, or Guinea hens'll develop the habit of roosting in the trees. Then you gotta shoot 'em before you can cook dinner.

Offline Action1

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 04:24:06 PM »
Maybe this is a foolish question - Don't you need a rooster & a hen to make eggs?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 04:41:24 PM »
not to make eggs, just to fertilize and make them viable. Ask your wife about eggs and that time of the month, whether she has a rooster or not! lol!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Action1

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 04:49:42 PM »
not to make eggs, just to fertilize and make them viable. Ask your wife about eggs and that time of the month, whether she has a rooster or not! lol!

Ah - yes - that makes perfect sense. Thank you for clearing that up good sir.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 06:02:19 PM »
Maybe this is a foolish question - Don't you need a rooster & a hen to make eggs?

I thought you guys were going to say that you had a squeegee for that. ;)

Offline bj

• !!!
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 06:07:32 PM »
Wow, all great advice!  I grew up on a farm but that was quite a while ago having to take care of chickens and I can only remember feeding them corn and pellets so all good advice.  We have coon here, hawks and occasionally eagles so I will have to make sure they are safe.  I remember a couple of times weasels getting into our coop and it looked like a blood bath when we walked in. 

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 06:09:47 PM »
What came first the chicken or the egg

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 06:13:31 PM »
What came first the chicken or the egg?

And did either one of them have a cigarette afterwards?  ;)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline bj

• !!!
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 07:09:48 AM »

Ah - yes - that makes perfect sense. Thank you for clearing that up good sir.
Don't feel bad.  A few years back I was having a conversation with a lady from India and we were discussing her food choices because of her religion.  She said she didn't eat any animals because they don't want to hurt animals but I asked her why eggs though.  She said they didn't want to eat any chicken parts.  I told her chickens can lay eggs without a rooster so they wouldn't have to worry about any fertilized eggs.  They could go to a local farmer to buy them if they didn't trust the supermarkets.  She refused to believe me.  She said her dad told her so I had to be wrong.  The look on her face was like I told her Santa was fake or something.  She wasn't too happy with me.  I guess when you are told something your whole life and then at 40 someone disproves it, it doesn't sit too well.

Offline Action1

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 08:20:04 AM »

I thought you guys were going to say that you had a squeegee for that. ;)

I can't see that one being very useful. However - something to deter the weasels seems to be what's needed. If anything, our focus would begin there. I have a few ideas.