Author Topic: Need a little help with a design element.  (Read 2641 times)

Offline Rocfrog

Need a little help with a design element.
« on: November 24, 2012, 11:12:17 AM »
Ok so I'm looking to try and recreate some really cool "halftone Dots" that I have been seeing quite a bit in design lately and I just can't seem to get it to look just right. I mainly work in Adobe Illustrator but have also tried this in Photoshop with similar results.

Here is the best example of the halftone element I've been trying to recreate. On the lower left side of the can.

This is one I was working on last week and couldn't figure it out so I just hand drew the dots and used "blend" to make it look right.

My problem is there has to be a simple way to do this style since I'm seeing a ton of it in designs lately. I have tried using the "colorize halftone" in Illustrator and while it somewhat works it doesn't produce clean perfect dots like in the examples. I have also tried the bitmap method in photoshop with similar results. While these techniques are getting me close they aren't the same look.

So if some one could help me out I would greatly appreciate it even if it just a link to a tutorial, this is something that has been driving me nuts for some time now.

Nick

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Need a little help with a design element.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 03:19:15 PM »
I can get close drawing a shape, applying a gradient and running through RasterBator.

http://arje.net/rasterbator

Rasterbator is most often used to make really really big multi pages from a small drawing for putting up on walls, but can be set to size down to a single sheet when running.

Oh, Rasterbator is a standalone that reads .jpgs, etc. and outputs to a .pdf that you can snap a pic from and turn to any format needed.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 03:30:32 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Printhouse

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 03:38:45 PM »
Check vectorious.net also....  I know they had a tone of these half tone style elements.  I will look at all the ones I have saved later.  I use them behind designs all the time.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 04:40:56 PM »
I traditionally use the ones down in grayscale, converted to bitmap, then halftone. The trick to getting really good (large dots) is to use a very high, extremely high rez and a small size. Say, 1200 ppi gradation at 2" x 2" and convert to a 2 lpi halftone. Then, re-size the grayscale to 4 times that size with the re-sample (un checked). That will resize your resolution down but keep a clean image. Then, drop that into Illustrator and convert to vector art.

To add to the effects, you can distort that vector gradation in your vector program.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 04:42:50 PM »
Check out Fluid designs he was working some neat bending halftone effects a while back, I think he mentioned a tut on it but not sure. I know a way of doing something like on the can but it is an extreme PITA requiring blends along paths etc. not worth getting into at all, I would be interested in hearing what Richard figured out, judging by one of his pieces he had it down pat.
"No man is an island"

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 04:44:25 PM »
I can get close drawing a shape, applying a gradient and running through RasterBator.

http://arje.net/rasterbator

Rasterbator is most often used to make really really big multi pages from a small drawing for putting up on walls, but can be set to size down to a single sheet when running.

Oh, Rasterbator is a standalone that reads .jpgs, etc. and outputs to a .pdf that you can snap a pic from and turn to any format needed.

I forgot about Rasterbator, I think I still have that program. But I guess I should have given a little more detail on my attempt, the image on the left was the effect I was trying to duplicate and the image on the right is what I came up with. If you look at the two the patterns are very different, and the one I created took some time because I drew two dots and the blended between the two and then just placed copies of it to simulate the look.

Check vectorious.net also....  I know they had a tone of these half tone style elements.  I will look at all the ones I have saved later.  I use them behind designs all the time.

Not to be taken wrong but I have several "vector stock" halftone styles but that's not what I'm looking for I want a more custom look....

Nick

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 04:45:49 PM »
I traditionally use the ones down in grayscale, converted to bitmap, then halftone. The trick to getting really good (large dots) is to use a very high, extremely high rez and a small size. Say, 1200 ppi gradation at 2" x 2" and convert to a 2 lpi halftone. Then, re-size the grayscale to 4 times that size with the re-sample (un checked). That will resize your resolution down but keep a clean image. Then, drop that into Illustrator and convert to vector art.

To add to the effects, you can distort that vector gradation in your vector program.

This sounds very close to what I have been doing but the numbers are slightly different...I'll have to try those numbers.

Nick

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 12:02:43 PM »
Check out Fluid designs he was working some neat bending halftone effects a while back, I think he mentioned a tut on it but not sure. I know a way of doing something like on the can but it is an extreme PITA requiring blends along paths etc. not worth getting into at all, I would be interested in hearing what Richard figured out, judging by one of his pieces he had it down pat.

I searched for that user and looked thru all thier posts but didn't see anything related to halftone desgins.....???

Nick

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 12:29:25 PM »
the more I think about it, more I am certain the blend tool is the way to go. From what I remember there are options blend on a spine (path) that should be able to give you a similar effect. Dig into the options for it and you'll find there is a lot more to it than meets the eye.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 12:29:47 PM »
Here is a link to his site page 5. Scroll down to vector skull and see the half tone effects he has, pretty clever really.
http://fluiddsn.com/page/5
"No man is an island"

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 01:04:24 PM »
here's a quick blend on path with spine replaced. About 5 min of work once you get comfortable with the tool.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 01:10:10 PM »
sorry, forgot to bend the dots . . . Use envelope distort, make with warp. You'll need to play with all the settings in there including the vertical and horizontal adjustments.

pierre

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 02:00:38 PM »
That looks really good!!!

I guess I need to try that method as well! I have been fighting this all weekend with crappy results, nothing I seem to try is working, all mine just seem like blobs...

Nick