Author Topic: Film output printers, think it's time we get a new one!!!!!!!????????????  (Read 4553 times)

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
We have been using the oldschool Epson3000 and I think it's on it's last leg. We aren't ready to invest the 30plus thousand in a DTS yet, what are options both printer and rip that you guys are liking the most for reliable dense film output from simple spot color films to detailed halftones. We've been using the Epson 3000 and FastRip combo. I've seen alot of shops go into an Epson 4880, but I've seen an Epson 3800, any opinions would be helpful, we need to make a move on a package next week. Thanks for your input guys!!

Mike
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Film output printers, think it's time we get a new one!!!!!!!????????????
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 12:23:09 PM »
very happy with our 4800 after using the 3000 for a few years. 3k worked good, but the 4800 is a significant improvement. 4880 is about the same, not sure about the 4900.
We paid $350 for the 4800 of the craigslist. If you look around there are deals to be had on them (unfortunately you might not have the time).

For RIP we use the Film Maker. It is significantly more complex than Accurip, but it does produce better results. AR is set and forget which makes it a good choice for many, but if you are looking for top notch, FM gives you significantly more control. Both are available as trials.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 12:43:31 PM »
Pierre,

What version of FM do you have?

Offline inkstain

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 12:51:40 PM »
Went through a couple epson 1280's back in the day.  Then went through a couple of epson 1400's that lasted a few years.  Then did a big upgrade and got the epson 4900.  Thing is a beast, prints pretty fast and printing 17" rolls is amazing.  I use accurip with it as well.  Very pleased.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 12:51:45 PM »
Pierre,

3. I think it's the latest one. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 01:01:39 PM »
Pierre,

3. I think it's the latest one. . .

pierre

Not the version the package. They have like FilmMaker DTP, FilmMakerLFP, FilmMaker XL PLus. Do you know the differance? I know they support more printer types for the more expensive ones. There has to be more than that.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 02:17:43 PM »
It's output size--destop, large format, extra large.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 02:48:31 PM »
I have the large format version. the desktop is compatible with 3000 so it is a great deal. Also from what I understand, Fresner is selling it under his name. 'not sure what the price is, but he might be willing to negotiate. Cadlink has very limited support and Scott should be available almost any time. . .

pierre

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 03:25:49 PM »
4900 here, all black, wasatch rip
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 04:15:39 PM »
I still say go DTS....

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 06:34:31 PM »
I still say go DTS....

Yeah, that's totally comparable to purchasing an Epson. 

For film output printers, I like our 4800.  If you get the newer 17" models, just make sure your rip gets along with it before committing.

We use Accurip and it's good stuff.  I trust FilmMaker is better but no Mac version so no FilmMaker here.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 07:14:10 PM »
If you don't want to drop the $$ for a new 4900.. a used 4880 is the ticket.

4900 here, all black, wasatch rip

Wasatch doesn't have the capability to specify what carts you use to print with so need for all black. The only RIP that supports all black  is AccuRip..

unless Wasatch finally got their heads outa their azz and introduced this into the software????

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Get Shirts

Film output printers, think it's time we get a new one!!!!!!!????????????
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 07:41:37 PM »
4880, accurip, 220 ml all black refillable tanks and 17" roll film over here.   The improvement over the 3000 is unreal.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 07:43:01 PM »
Thanks for all of the feedback guys. Finally got the 3k back up and running for now but after a few conversations we may be looking at the I-image dts. I'll update on it. Praing about it over the weekend, so far my wife is loving what Sam's printguy has to say about the intense efficiency.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 08:13:03 PM »
very happy with our 4800 after using the 3000 for a few years. 3k worked good, but the 4800 is a significant improvement. 4880 is about the same, not sure about the 4900.
We paid $350 for the 4800 of the craigslist. If you look around there are deals to be had on them (unfortunately you might not have the time).

For RIP we use the Film Maker. It is significantly more complex than Accurip, but it does produce better results. AR is set and forget which makes it a good choice for many, but if you are looking for top notch, FM gives you significantly more control. Both are available as trials.

pierre
As far as I remember FM runs only on Windows, is that right?