Author Topic: Got my CCI Pigments and Tested today!  (Read 6219 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: Got my CCI Pigments and Tested today!
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 01:54:59 PM »
I did a blue and yellow with the CCI kit and it was as dead nuts as I think you can get. I did it on a white shirt and on a black shirt and the color was almost exact. I know they are still tweaking the system but so far its good enough for my needs.

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 01:58:59 PM »
The yellow was close, but not really what I wanted.  I spent Wednesday with the sericol rep here in my shop, but havent had lots of time to play with all the texcharge stuff.  I spent 4 hours with Gary from CCI yesterday printing the above sample with the pigment system and I have to admit, my samples that I did solo from Sericol IMO are a bit better.  ONLY, because I havent played around with the CCI stuff enough I am guessing.  Tony, Gary had a Hines Ward shirt that you did that was pretty awesome, how did you do it?
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 02:20:15 PM »
Ican't remember what it looked like. Maybe it wasn't mine.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 02:28:13 PM »
I'm not super concerned about dead nuts pantones just want a real solid yellow green shade as a go to.

I suspect that most of that green tinting comes from the fact that most of the yellows we ran went down on black and just a touch of black, such as the black background the shirt may provide will push the green up in a yellow gs.  I know this from mixing ink so I figure it can be solved with more penetration on the yellows on black.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 02:39:20 PM »
A dot or two of scarlet red PC can fight the greening

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 03:57:47 PM »
A dot or two of scarlet red PC can fight the greening

Thanks for the tip. Will be trying that out on the next one.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline ol man

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 06:53:25 PM »
I was a little dissapointed with our first try with the CCI pigments. We were trying to hit a 1235 C.    Followed the pantone guide -but it needed alot more of warm red . Maybe it was "burning off" in the dryer.
And honestly the color was Dull compaired to the matsui, However I will play with it over the next month, and see whats what.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 07:10:16 PM »
I was a little dissapointed with our first try with the CCI pigments. We were trying to hit a 1235 C.    Followed the pantone guide -but it needed alot more of warm red . Maybe it was "burning off" in the dryer.
And honestly the color was Dull compaired to the matsui, However I will play with it over the next month, and see whats what.

How old are your pigments. I have the first version...and teh reds are all weak. I have to add about 50% more to the mix to hit the color. I know they have fixed the red by now so its not an issue for new ordered pigments.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 07:24:26 PM »
Also, did you lower the activator % to around 4% or so?  Makes a big difference in reds.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
One thing I noticed with one red that I did it just was orange in the bucket. So If that happens you have to add more of the red pigment. If the color in the bucket is not the right color it will not change to a better red in the dryer. Make sure your formula is correct also. Its 10 percent pigment to 90 percent base.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 10:58:12 PM »
I had Tad from CCI in the shop last week.  I got a copy of his mixing software (still in beta) through Ryonet.

Mixed up pms 7641, a real nice deep red.  Looked great, printed great, washed it twice and noticed some wash out :(  The white we printed with it was perfect under a loop (for thread color).  Another local guy mixed up pms 168 or 166 (I forgot exact number) today and compared it to Rutlands mix.  The CCI color matched better than Rutland, but at only a 10% pigment load it had some bad crocking issues.  I would love to know if there was a hiccup in the base chemistry as Tad was insistent that we did not need to add anything to the base as it was all included during manufacture.  It was a key selling point for him.

As for going up or down on activator %, make sure you do a test on each garment type with a clear discharge to make sure that percent of activator removes enough of the shirt color :)
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline ol man

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 09:10:30 AM »

How old are your pigments. I have the first version...and teh reds are all weak. I have to add about 50% more to the mix to hit the color. I know they have fixed the red by now so its not an issue for new ordered pigments.

brand new pigments - yes sir - weak red.  I added more activactor this morning --started at 4 percent - bumped it up to 6 percent - seemed to help a good bit.  - But i am dissapointed with the weak red - oh well

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 12:37:53 PM »
We use CCI pigments with 4% activator except straight white we use 6%. If your red is weak, I'd suggest 4% activator and overloading your pigment. Here's our red we get from the most up to date CCI pigments. We found that 6% activator (as suggested by our CCI rep) actually pastels colors and dulls them way out.

Edit: Although we make a lot of our colors based on the Pantone book %s, we DO NOT make our red that way. We created, painstakingly, a proprietary recipe for our rich red.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:40:48 PM by kingscreen »
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2013, 12:47:09 PM »
You guys overloading your CCI reds- how are the prints coming out after wash testing and how much are you overloading?

I know CCI has 30% as the ceiling in their lit which is pretty high.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2013, 12:52:34 PM »
nice red. I am not going to ask the formula. I know what it means to painstakenly work on a pantone color. All the pantones I have mixed are very close. But with a few mins of tweaking them they are dead nuts. I only need the formulas to be close. Then I can tweak them to the brand, color and fabric of the shirt.