Author Topic: The Importance of Staging Part 2  (Read 2521 times)

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
The Importance of Staging Part 2
« on: October 25, 2012, 07:04:39 AM »
I shared with Pierre yesterday and thought it might make a good post. Finally got around to hooking up this six color GT the other day. Our Resort line has a ton of one color discharge "slogan' concepts that are extremely popular. At 6:00am today I locked in six of these jobs; taped out and lined up. To the right are the orders ; labeled for easy identification and with corresponding paperwork. Ink activated and ready. This is what we refer to as a "go to" press. When the big dogs are changing out jobs I put together a crew and they bang these orders ot in between the larger ones, simply moving the squeegee/floodbar assembly from head to head as each order is completed. If things go right they will complete all six by lunch and I set up six more. So there are twelve jobs on its schedule and again, if things go right this little guy will generate $5,000 in gross revenue.
Does it go that smoothly everday? Of course not but it's a training excersise for the busy season. Speaking of staging you'll notice in the background the specially designed racks for everything, and I mean everything the crew needs to perform their tasks. There is one for every auto and manual.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: The Importance of Staging Part 2
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 07:44:53 AM »
Nice, I seriously don't think I have ever seen more emulsion on a frame than I have in the one in head #6.  That's a lot.

Also, that is pretty much the same press we run.  It's a good machine.  We'll crank out a good amount of work on it today...they certainly pay for themselves.  One of my guys came from an all manual shop, another came from an all wooden manual shop.  I ain't talkin about frames either.

Tony, which carts are you talking about, the ones with the ink and stuff on them?

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 07:57:20 AM »
They are fixed racks with specially designed tables below (not visible) to acccomodate all different kinds of platens. Each has its own set of tools, spray bottles, tapes, glue application tools, everything. Also not visible is an oversize wall pocket for job folders. The ones fo the manuals have a plexiglass template with holes cut out for quart containers.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 08:39:07 AM »
Looking at the screens.  Do you guys coat all the way to the edges and not tape out the inside of the screens?  I guess with all WB ink it would be easy to clean up the corners and frame edges.  Cool to see the work flow.  I need to build a rack for my pallets!

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 08:53:07 AM »
Yes I recommend all auto WB printers to buy a 19" scoop coater for 23x31 frames. You save on tape and save time on blockoutWe never have leaks with discharge. Some of the aluminium statics are really old but I have a streching room upstairs where we grind and re-stretch.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 09:20:46 AM »
I'm glad they upgraded the forum software... not only do we get to see the great detail in pictures but Tony would be crashing the forum left and right with his great post! :)

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 07:42:20 PM »
More photos more photos!!!!
:)
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 09:51:53 PM »
I've preached staging and everything has a place to owners for years.. to bad it always falls on deaf ears and they never do anything but complain about how things are.

Tony is dead on guys
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 11:23:43 PM »
I'm glad they upgraded the forum software... not only do we get to see the great detail in pictures but Tony would be crashing the forum left and right with his great post! :)

Tony posts photos larger then most of my clients send me to print from. Tony I hope to meet you some day so I can put a face with the knowledge I have gained.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 11:33:29 PM by Screened Gear »

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 12:55:59 AM »
I've preached staging and everything has a place to owners for years.. to bad it always falls on deaf ears and they never do anything but complain about how things are.

Tony is dead on guys

Hahaha, I've been preaching to our crew for years the importance of staging and schedule. And being clean is efficient. They always seem to think they are faster than a machine. Nope. They are not.

Yes, Tony is dead on. And as of today the hammer has dropped on a few of ours guys.

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 04:33:44 AM »
Good job Brandon! I've been hearing you talk about that for awhile.
We stage a but now but not nearly to the effect I want to.
We're so short on space. Our new place is gonna be different. Much different!
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 08:04:50 AM »

Tony is dead on guys

Some may wonder why I generally don't join discussions on subjects like mesh tension and which machine is better. It's because I believe this subject trumps all. I can't tell you how many shops I go to where shiny new autos are idle due to improper planning.
If any of you get a chance to visit you'll see a bunch of old machines. They aren't pretty to look at but
they are hungry little devils and run just about as fast as new ones. Co-ordinating production in our business requires the study of the art (or science) of controlling chaos. And it isn't always pretty. Assembling all the parts and pieces of an order requires comittment from the very top and all the way down. Failure to understand  this is a recipie for disfunction.
What was it that motivational poster said? Something like "No one plans to fail they just fail to plan"
(Actually I have this printed out above my scheduling boards!)
Happy Friday BTW

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 08:14:13 AM »
We are in the process of revamping our staging system. We have , for a number of years, made tomorrow's screens today. They are then put on carts with the procuct to run on the cart also. (carts aren't large enough to have inks on all the time) We  line the carts up in order by what press the orders will go on. We consider colors being used on press, platen size on each press, when those may be changed also, order size, cancel dates, everything we can think of. We are in the midst of a new system. It will be similar to what we do now, but in some ways radically different. We have really drilled into our processes to find constrains and try to alleviate them. (Then of course re-identify them, ongoing) No press should be stopped for want of work or supplies. We are treating our presses like gods. We will sacrafice what we need to to keep them happy. 
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 11:18:49 AM »

Thanks man, but there is still always room for improvement. Did you get the new place yet? I'll come down and help you move. Just let me know when so I can block out a day or two. I'll bring Mark. He can probably move the auto by himself!

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 01:28:31 PM »

Thanks man, but there is still always room for improvement. Did you get the new place yet? I'll come down and help you move. Just let me know when so I can block out a day or two. I'll bring Mark. He can probably move the auto by himself!

Not yet our lease is up in may. We're gonna start looking in December.
We need to make a trip up to Seattle to see you guys!