Author Topic: this is why screen printing SUCKS  (Read 4444 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: this is why screen printing SUCKS
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 10:37:11 AM »
This is what 90% of the calls/e-mails I get are asking for. I think it's time for me to shift my focus to DTG and Dye Sub. Might get into the cut & sew business. I'm getting fed up with the margins in screen printing. I reformatted my pricing to be extremely competitive and still get undercut/
Ummmm better do your homework on the cut and sew thing.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 10:38:14 AM »
After reading the email again I just do not see a real issue with it. It is just a uneducated customer. A simple explanation of how it works should be enough and if they do not like it move on. After all they are starting a business and for all you know could blow up into a decent account down the road.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 10:46:20 AM »
not as bad but here's mine

I worked with you on the Cutting for a CURE tshirts. I had a quick question. Do you only produce tshirts in mass quantities or would you produce one? I am going away on my honeymoon in two weeks and really want a tshirt that says "Bride" or "Mrs" on it. I wasn't sure if this is something you (a) already produce or (b) could even produce given the short timeline and the fact that I only need one. I was thinking about getting one for my hubs, too, that says "Mr". Is this doable or not so much?

Thanks so much for your time :)
Have a great day!
Holly

That's cutter and heat apply for sure. We do that all the time; a lot of them turn into larger orders and referrals.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 10:57:42 AM »
I find myself almost daily explaining how different processes are more suitable for different jobs, often due to quantity. They just often know the term "screen printing" or "silk screening", when all they really mean is "image"
In the next few years, this will change, and they will assume that all is digital (and instant)

Mike and Shawn are actually a step ahead on this as neither of their prospective clients ever mentioned a specific method for the decoration. Now, the only issue is what alternative methods they can do or have access to.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 12:44:15 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 12:37:00 PM »
One of my larger repeat customers wanted a small order 9 shirts 5 color, I explained I will be using the printed vinyl and explained how it will be different she listened then said "I will get the picture on the shirt right " and that's what 85% of the people care about, not how we do it just Picture on shirt.

Sent  from samsung gem(the worst smart phone ever)
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 01:18:12 PM »
One of my larger repeat customers wanted a small order 9 shirts 5 color, I explained I will be using the printed vinyl and explained how it will be different she listened then said "I will get the picture on the shirt right " and that's what 85% of the people care about, not how we do it just Picture on shirt.

Sent  from samsung gem(the worst smart phone ever)

Very true... we waste too much of our time and their time thinking they might give a sh!t or be upset that it wasn't screen printed.

I mainly go through the more thorough explanation if they want it on something that needs to breath (or a large print) because that is where it really makes a difference between vinyl and plastisol (assuming a dark on light situation).

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 01:31:40 PM »
Lot's of good replies here. We're the experts, the customer just knows they want the picture on a shirt/mug/hat/sign.

Price it so it makes sense from your end, suggest ways to make it manufacturable, give them viable options, show them the $45/shirt from Custom Ink, then come in at $39.95, sub out to DTG or print and press vinyl, or a 1 colour outline of a dragonfly printed or cad-cut if she'll go for it, and you're the hero with $100-$200 profit in your pocket.

They're only a pain in the butt if that's how you look at them. I have a shiny new $100 bill in my pocket from 1pc. 1 colour screen print in the center of a big square of fabric for a lady making a quilt, she's thrilled and we're goin' to Sizzler tonight!  ;D probably 20 minutes of hands-on work for one of my guys.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 07:58:44 AM »
Ink,
that is one way to look at it but you have to infuse the concept of a one person shop run by a crusty, ill-tempered, old man.
On the dragon fly opportunity I would have spent at least two hours most likely 4 hours on everything to get the job full circle.

Even if I made $20 profit on each of the 6 shirts which neans I would have to charge her about $40.00 / shirt (in a follow up phone call she was willing to go as high as $12 - $14 dollars each shirt delivered) .

To print a multi color job on front and back and modify the art and find her the fashion shirts she likes, and communicate with someone that can actually print this for me and handle all the BS as the middle man just isn't worth it. Additionally I have to recover the 2 to 4  hours I lost printing or embroidering stuff I wasn't getting done while i was chasing dragonflys. I know this customer.......top shelf taste with a well dring wallet.

On the other hand $120.00 dollars profit would sound really good to some for 2 to 4 hours work........it all depends how you look at it and what swords you are willing to fall on.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 08:59:56 AM »
This is what 90% of the calls/e-mails I get are asking for. I think it's time for me to shift my focus to DTG and Dye Sub. Might get into the cut & sew business. I'm getting fed up with the margins in screen printing. I reformatted my pricing to be extremely competitive and still get undercut/
Ummmm better do your homework on the cut and sew thing.

I didn't mean to make this sound like I was just going to jump into the cut & sew business. As of right now I'm doing major R&D with a small format dye sub printer. The business I work for is huge in the football industry, so that is where we're going to be marketing a bunch of products towards. I know it is one of the toughest parts of the printing business to get into, but the payoff in the end is definitely going to be worth the work we put in. Lower competition and a very direct, focused niche. I'll always offer screen printing because it will always have its place in out shop. But I'm switching my focus to lower volume, higher margin work. I'm still young, I've been in this industry for only 6 years so far. I think now is the time to branch out, try new things, make some mistakes and see where it takes me.

Hopefully by 2014 I'll be posting some pictures of our new cut & sew products.