Author Topic: How do I choke a spot color design in CorelDraw X5?  (Read 4174 times)

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

How do I choke a spot color design in CorelDraw X5?
« on: October 18, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
I have a simple spot color design (2 colors) and I believe I will need to "choke" the white underbase. The white will serve as the under base plus part of the images.

I am using coreldraw X5...how do I choke this, or do these designs even need to be choked? One is left chest...the other is going ont he back.

Mark

Offline Ryan

Re: How do I choke a spot color design in CorelDraw X5?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 03:15:26 PM »
are you undelaying the blue as well? The easiest way in corel is to convert everything to outlines and turn any strokes to oulines. Add registration marks or what ever you use to line up the graphic. Copy the whole image and paste onto new page. if you are only doing the white, I would actually just print it twice, but I digress. turn the whole graphic to another color like black and put a white outline on everything. depending on how much choke you want, hairline, .5 etc. output as a seperate page. Hopefully this made sense to you. If you are in desperate need, I could do it for you .
~Ryan

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 03:51:54 PM »
are you undelaying the blue as well? The easiest way in corel is to convert everything to outlines and turn any strokes to oulines. Add registration marks or what ever you use to line up the graphic. Copy the whole image and paste onto new page. if you are only doing the white, I would actually just print it twice, but I digress. turn the whole graphic to another color like black and put a white outline on everything. depending on how much choke you want, hairline, .5 etc. output as a seperate page. Hopefully this made sense to you. If you are in desperate need, I could do it for you .
~Ryan

u did kind of lose me mid way thru it.

Couldnt I turn the blue stroke on the text to white and minus it my a factor of 1 (current I have a 3pt stroke blue).....this gives me a 2pt  stroke white....I separate then print out the white film only...THEN go back to my image and put the 3pt blue stroke back...then sep again and only print out the blue this time....this sound like it will work but i feel im going the long way.

As far as the left chest image I guess I can do the same process, right? All I have to do is the blue border around the image...wouln't the same rules apply?

And to print I was going to print: white/flash/white/flash/blue. This is correct, yes?
Mark

Offline Ryan

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 04:17:21 PM »
if you just change the 3pt outline to a 2 point it shrinks in both directions so your taking down a 1/2 point both ways and the white and blue will overlap. If you can "simplify" the object (don't know what tab it falls under as it just shows up for me), same toolbar that has weld/trim/intersect..then you can add the outline around each color to choke it and print out seps as it will be chocking the object and not just reducing the outline. It makes perfect sense in my head, it comes out all messed up. I know if you go to youtube and look up advancedtshirts he has a tone of corel videos and I know there is one on this. Hope I got something you can use

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 05:10:35 PM »
I don't work in corel but if your going to base the blue I would just reduce all my blue strokes to a 1 1/2 points which will give you a full 1 point stroke reduction or just the reverse and add a point to all your blue strokes then print all your blue seps then remove the 1 point stroke and print your white base...anything over a point and a half means your press might need a little work I know I had one LOL.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 05:28:28 PM »
though I'm an Illustrator guy, it's probably the same, I take my underbase color and add a stroke in a color THAT IS NOT GOING TO PRINT. It chokes the underbase (make sure the stroke isn't marked for overprinting, or it won't choke). The size of the choke is whatever makes you comfortable.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Texas Slick

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 12:16:31 PM »
I personally use an inside contour of .008. One step, makes a perfect under
Jimmy Sturrock aka Texas Slick

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 12:49:41 PM »
As mentioned, a white outline (not behind fill) or contour in the desired amount. Remember the outline goes 1/2 over the fill and 1/2 outside it, so a .010" outline will choke the fill .005"
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 12:34:03 AM »
~Ryan

The part in the middle was how to make an underbase out of the entire design, choked.  I think you probably want to put down an underbase under it all going down on those red shirts.  But I would not put down a solid white underbase.  I would make it about a 60% halftone to give enough of a layer for opacity and yet not be a rubber blanket feel. 

So by my thinking, white 60% choked underbase, flash, White top layer, Blue top layer.

My 2 c.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers