Author Topic: i need some words of encouragement...  (Read 11533 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: i need some words of encouragement...
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2012, 11:33:12 AM »
whiskey coming today......can not wait....going to dip into it tonight, tomorrow, sunday, then off to vegas.....

I have the smallest press....but i listen and learn and take info from the good folks on this forum that are really awesome to share THEIR hard earned info...they paved the way for me to make my life and business run smoother...I take what they say or show me and implement it into my shop and if it works i keep it, but if it doesn't then i may tweak it here or there...

and in the future, i will do the same if i am able....

its like homer said...why should he give up all the info he has worked hard on by trial and error, that costs his business money, to give to anyone else for free?

and Gilly of you keep arguing with everyone the info that we need or want will dry up because they may be like why put it out there....

sometimes its just good to hang back and listen....

I totally agree with you Rob... I guess I just find it funny that because I do offer an opinion or idea that I get blasted because "I don't know everything"... but in reality Sam says he's a business man, not a screen printer.  Do you think it's might just be POSSIBLE that somewhere out there, there are a couple of business men that would look at Sam and say "wow, that guy doesn't have a clue of what he's talking about"?

That's all I'm saying.  We are all here to learn, SHARE and grow.  I'm here listening, I listen a LOT... I may talk a lot but I really do listen more.  I have private conversations with those that do WAY better than some of these clowns.  I have personal friends that run way more numbers in all aspects of life than these clowns.  I'm always listening.

But as a human, I have ideas and theories.  I put them out there.  Like you said "if they work, keep them, if they don't modify or toss them... but DON'T STOP!"

People post computer problems in the computer section and that is an area that I have some "expertise" as it may be... I freely go in there and try to help out when I can and give what I feel is good advise.  I don't always agree with everyone there, example Pierre and I don't COMPLETELY agree on which system is better... but I promise you there are no hard feelings between the two of us over the issue.  On the other hand Brandt and I actually AGREE where Pierre and I disagree, but yet we can't get a long.  *shrug*  I still wouldn't hesitate to offer the guy a hand if he needed one.  Just like Brad and I with the politics... we go at each other like cats and dogs in the private section... but I don't dislike the guy one bit... it's all just conversation and in the end I would like to think that we both shake hands and walk away just as good as we were before.  Hell, Dan had a data scare and he sent me his hard drive... I quickly checked it out and found the issue (a non-issue really) and let him know ASAP to put his mind at ease.  I then sent the hard drive back WITH a second hard drive that I had in stock as a 2nd back up for him all on MY dime.  We traded for seps technically but guess what... I've yet to call on him for those seps... I may never have to, who knows... it's just the way good people do for each other though.  I know if I ever got in a bind I would want someone to help me out if they could and if they would do it for a "future favor" then all the better.

There are other people that I have "shared" things with and expected NOTHING in return... I believe in sharing knowledge and helping as much as I can if it's not costing me anything.  Others have done the same for me and MORE.  I don't mention some of the names because I'm not sure they want them mentioned but I've been into a couple of shops and they have basically had a COMPLETELY open door policy with me and their inner workings.  All and ZERO cost.  They have shared templates (they created) and "systems" and I have tried to return what little I can.  If I find a new trick, I return the favor and share it right back.  My buddy locally, I can go in his shop at any given time and hang out wherever I want... watch over the artist shoulder, hang out in the production area... ask what ever I want.  Hell, he often says "come around and take a look how I do this".

THAT is a community.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2012, 11:44:08 AM »
Thats good Gill, maybe its the way you are typing it..LOL...like the use of the word "clowns"..its the way you are presenting it dude...

these are not clowns...they run a decorating business and they do it very very well.. I've met some of them and they have it together....i am aspiring to become on of the clowns..

Gill you may have knowledge but lately i don't even read what you write because of the drama...if you have good ideas i am missing out...

I know its hard with typing because things are taken the wrong way a lot, because there is no tone of the voice..

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2012, 11:57:05 AM »
I totally agree with you Rob... I guess I just find it funny that because I do offer an opinion or idea that I get blasted because "I don't know everything"... but in reality Sam says he's a business man, not a screen printer.  Do you think it's might just be POSSIBLE that somewhere out there, there are a couple of business men that would look at Sam and say "wow, that guy doesn't have a clue of what he's talking about"?

The majority of screen printers are not smart businessmen. Thats why a lot of them starve and are usually begging for work.

Being a good business man is harder than being a good screen printer. The good business man will make more money than a good printer even if their work is sub par. Thats why it is smart for a good printer to partner with a good business man.

www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2012, 12:03:05 PM »

The majority of screen printers are not smart businessmen. Thats why a lot of them starve and are usually begging for work.

Being a good business man is harder than being a good screen printer. The good business man will make more money than a good printer even if their work is sub par. Thats why it is smart for a good printer to partner with a good business man.

i am neither....that why i need help! LOL

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2012, 12:15:57 PM »

Same here lol

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2012, 12:16:58 PM »

Although it may be true as a good businessman and a poor printer you will make more money--you will be pushing crap and you will know it.  If you have any sort of conscience, this won't be an enjoyable experience, IMHO.  You'll be a much more convincing salesman when you know your product is good, and you'll do very well when you can honestly say it's the best available.
You just need to keep at it.  Being a good businessman and a good printer involves hard work and focus, quit distracting yourself with the semantics.  Figure out what your weaknesses are and work on them.  Being able to ignore things that don't matter will help you focus on the things that do, there are many excellent examples posted. 

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2012, 12:29:30 PM »
Good business men make my skin crawl because they count every bean and pinch every penny
and working for them is probably hell.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2012, 01:02:47 PM »
We're a bit more tiered. Our "Business Man has 40 ys in the apparel biz and he gets it. He interfaces with Sales, Purchasing, Accounting,and Production (Me). We meet regularly and each one of us understands eachothers strengths and constraints. We never argue.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2012, 01:19:17 PM »
Why not try and become a great business man as well as a great printer?  It's not like either one is freaking rocket science. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline dave58

« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2012, 01:31:20 PM »
i know everything................i just hang here for the drama and entertainment
Down with Anarchy

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2012, 02:20:41 PM »
Thats good Gill, maybe its the way you are typing it..LOL...like the use of the word "clowns"..its the way you are presenting it dude...

these are not clowns...they run a decorating business and they do it very very well.. I've met some of them and they have it together....i am aspiring to become on of the clowns..

Gill you may have knowledge but lately i don't even read what you write because of the drama...if you have good ideas i am missing out...

I know its hard with typing because things are taken the wrong way a lot, because there is no tone of the voice..

Maybe so... I guess it just gets where someone like Sam comes along and pushes, well... I push back.

I didn't have an ill thing to say about Sam up until recently.  I was told quite a few things from various people about the guy (negatively) but I wasn't concerned about it.  Then he just doesn't seem to stop bringing up my name (needed a new whipping boy since Shawn is "gone").  I got fed up with it and pushed back.

First encounter I can recall is when I was sharing my experience with a friend/employee in the GENERAL DISCUSSION area that betrayed me and stole my guns.  He thinks I'm an a-hole for not putting them in a safe.  The thing is... the guy could have easily just stolen the safe as well... they aren't impenetrable.  Might have been easier to carry away all my goods if it was in one neat container vs 3 pistols and some magazines carried loosely. :)  Then again maybe he wouldn't have bothered.  But at the same time... I learned a HUGE thing that day... not about guns but about that employee/friend.  Finding out that he was willing to abuse our relationship like that was a great thing to learn NOW vs later when it cost more than a few hand guns and a laptop.

From there it seems Sam and I have just not really agreed on some things and that has wore him thin I guess.  I can respect that... but I think he should have sent me a PM or given me a phone call to tell me about it vs blasting me like he used to do to Shawn.  Don't get me wrong, my feelings are FAR from hurt... but it's not good for the forum was my point.

Offline prozyan

« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2012, 02:46:39 PM »
but it's not good for the forum was my point.

It takes two to tango, sir.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2012, 03:06:48 PM »
I didn't have an ill thing to say about Sam up until recently.  I was told quite a few things from various people about the guy (negatively) but I wasn't concerned about it.  Then he just doesn't seem to stop bringing up my name (needed a new whipping boy since Shawn is "gone").  I got fed up with it and pushed back.

If you don't like people doing that to you, why are you doing it to others?  There is a term for this.... 

Don't get me wrong, my feelings are FAR from hurt... but it's not good for the forum was my point.

Please take some of your own advice, not everything you seem to add to this site is good for this forum either. 

Sam is clearly an ass at times, but he runs a business that is doing very well.  Maybe you should try doing that rather than running your keyboard so much.

Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2012, 03:21:28 PM »
wow that is funny Kevin..I don't remember calling you an assh*le..I remember saying it was irresponsible.  those guns are now on the street....maybe LA has a lot different laws than here, but here unless you are in direct control of a weapon it must be locked....again back to being a responsible gun owner...not just leaving them laying around...

Secondly, people will talk...I am harsh at time because I expect the best out of everyone and when I see someone not being the best they can be due to laziness ( shawn ) then yeah it gets under my skin....I have nothing bad to say about you, I am saying that you are posting about stuff you do not know about ( again the $40.00 tape issue ) that was a statement about me finding more and more cost savings...and yeah I measure everything so I can ensure the people who work here have a paycheck, get a bonus, and raises...

Again Kevin you may be great at computers but you need to learn a few lessons the hard way as well vs. expecting everyone to hand you the info...again just the way i think...

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2012, 03:59:42 PM »
Brandt... You gonna tell me we have never had private conversations?  We've covered why I have taken jabs at you from time to time... I'm really done with it.  I thought that you said you wanted to be done with as well... you complained I kept posting about you and that if I stopped then there would be no more... hmm.  Doesn't seem to be that way though does it?

Sam.  Laws are different down here.  People aren't supposed to break into your home.  If you aren't being a criminal then you don't have stupid laws restricting your behavior.  Yes, I paraphrased... maybe I should have said "you treated me like an a-hole" does that fit better?

My issue with the $40 tape issue was plain and simple.  You said that you were going to post the "true" ROI numbers once you had them worked out and to give you a couple of weeks (again, paraphrasing)... over a month passed and I thought... hey what were those numbers (I'm a number nerd as well as a tech junky so this was going to interesting to look at).  I gave you gentle reminder that you were going to post things up and you said "well, I'm still finding savings...." and talked about your $40/year tape savings.

No, I'm not knocking the $40/month savings but that isn't going to persuade anyone that this 20k is well spent because of $40/year.  Again, yes, it adds up but you would have been better off saying.  "Ok guys here are the numbers ... " Then you could have added "and then we just noticed that we are saving an additional $40/year on tape... that's some savings I didn't even think about or expect... pretty cool!" and I would have been right there with you 100% as I LOVE to find hidden savings on decisions I make.  I just didn't think it made sense to say you were still crunching the numbers because of a $40/year savings find.

You took my comment WAY the wrong way and in typical Sam/internet forum fashion started with some trashing which I FULLY participated in.  I think it has gotten extremely silly but it is what it is now... where do we go from here?

but it's not good for the forum was my point.

It takes two to tango, sir.

Absolutely right man... like I said... I felt like I got pushed, so I pushed back.  Guilty as charged.

Does that mean that I'm doomed forever because my last MANY post have been about getting a better understanding between Sam and I and moving past it and leaving the Brandt drama in the past.  What has been said has been said and we can't change that.  I'm trying to extend the olive branch and say "maybe we had a big misunderstanding and started off on the right foot, let's try this again".

If that isn't what everyone wants then, hell... whatever will be will be... Let's lay that out there and go from there.  I can not give a f*ck as much as the next guy. ;)