Author Topic: need some help with this...  (Read 5901 times)

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
Re: need some help with this...
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 05:11:25 PM »
For everyone else interested..

Illustrator tutorial: Setting type on a circular path | lynda.com, Deke's Techniques series
And thats why i Dont use AI...to much crap  to do to get a simple effect.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 05:14:09 PM »

Illustrator tutorial: Setting type on a circular path | lynda.com, Deke's Techniques series

Yep, for some of this common shirt stuff, CorelDRAW seems to win hands down. Just a few minutes at the most on a task like this.
Less than a minute in the right hands.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 09:16:24 PM »
Setting type on a circular path | lynda.com, Deke's Techniques series

Thanks, grabbed it for the future.  I have Illy too, but prefer Corel for things like that.  I still need to learn Illy though.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 09:56:33 AM »

Thanks, grabbed it for the future.  I have Illy too, but prefer Corel for things like that.  I still need to learn Illy though.
why?

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 10:27:19 AM »
Shane I am glad you got help......But really for someone who has been at this as long as you have, would it not be better for you to learn how to do it yourself?....

I did ask someone to explain how it was done. I think you are confusing me with Shawn (Endless)  ;)

Thanks to all who posted a tutorial and 3deep for PM'ing me!

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 11:42:09 AM »
Yes my comment was directed to the other Shane......Sorry for the confusion....

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 11:58:09 AM »

Yep, for some of this common shirt stuff, CorelDRAW seems to win hands down. Just a few minutes at the most on a task like this.
Less than a minute in the right hands.

Since I only use Illy, I've been setting text on a curve for a long time. Wicked simple, just different. I did get CD recently (to run in XP on a Mac) so I could check out Simple Seps Raster, but haven't had time to get it running. It was the longest install I've ever run, but I'm putting that on running XP on the Mac. The best text to a circle I ever used before was in Freehand, which Adobe absorbed quite some time ago. You only had to type the text on 2 lines; when you joined it to the circle, the top line went on top, and the bottom line went on the bottom. By the way, it's less than a minute in Illy too, in the right hands. Frankly if I'm going to do this, just like the rest of us, I'm going to do it the way I know best. I still haven't received a CD file from a pro designer ever, only a few from the occasional customer, and it's been way over a year.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 12:04:09 PM »
I still haven't received a CD file from a pro designer ever, only a few from the occasional customer, and it's been way over a year.

Steve

Me either, but I have gotten a bunch of overly complicated AI files from pro designers who, though pro, still have no clue what we need for screen printing their furshlugginer designs on shirts! :P
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 12:59:49 PM »
Me either, but I have gotten a bunch of overly complicated AI files from pro designers who, though pro, still have no clue what we need for screen printing their furshlugginer designs on shirts! :P

Not an AI issue, that is an "designer" issue.
Apart from my home venture with screen printing, I work in a packaging company in their design/pre-press department.
You should have seen the files we get there from huge design firms. Some of those people do not deserve to pass Design 101 or Illustrator 101 class.

Sometimes it takes me more time to fix than to do the same thing from scratch.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 01:30:27 PM by DKgrafix »

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 01:22:41 PM »

Not an AI issue, that is an "designer" issue.
Apart from my home venture with screen printing, I work in a packaging company in their design/pre-press department.
You should have seen the files we get there from huge design firms. Some of those people do not deserve to pass Design 101 or Illustrator 101 class.

Sometimes it takes me more time to fix that to do the same thing from scratch.

No doubt about it Andy, I get tons of, shall we say, illogically produced files from "pros", but there are some tools that help knock the complexity out of some of them. Flatten Transparency, and Merge in particular fix a lot of things.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 02:59:46 PM »
Designer "pro's" are taught in school how to make it look good. They "create".  Then, they send it off to you and me for production.
They can care less "how you do it right' as long as it look like how they created it.

Type on a circle in Illy (was even easier) up to about version 10 I think. Then they changed it for some reason. It's different now and has been that way for the longest time. I'm sure for some other industry that uses it more like that (than we do) efficiently.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 06:51:36 PM »

why?

1-Thanks, grabbed it for the future.
2-I have Illy too, but prefer Corel for things like that.
3-I still need to learn Illy though.

Why to all 3 of those?  Or did you have one specifically in mind?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2012, 07:46:59 AM »
why do you need to learn illy?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2012, 10:03:06 AM »
The answer to that depends on your customer base.  For those who have a good balance between customers who provide Illy and Corel files, It is a good practice to know "something" about both.

As a service provider like myself, it's a good thing to have both programs although, I'm more proficient in one.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2012, 10:36:03 AM »
The answer to that depends on your customer base.  For those who have a good balance between customers who provide Illy and Corel files, It is a good practice to know "something" about both.

As a service provider like myself, it's a good thing to have both programs although, I'm more proficient in one.
I guess that is the difference, most of my customers are new and just have ideas that they want on a shirt or teams with no logos that I design for them in CD. I do have AI for the once in awhile Ai file just to convert it so i can work with it in CD.