Author Topic: artist statement  (Read 3722 times)

Offline bj

• !!!
artist statement
« on: September 27, 2012, 10:38:48 PM »
Do any of you have experience with putting together an artist statement?? 
I have to do one but not sure where to start... 

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: artist statement
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 12:18:45 AM »
This was found from Google. It look really good.
 http://www.mollygordon.com/resources/marketingresources/artstatemt/

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 08:24:56 AM »
What is a "statement" ?

Is that another word for contract? As noted above, you can google some and some are posted as free downloads for you to customize.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline ravenmark

• Verified/Junior
  • Derek
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 08:46:37 AM »
Sell yourself! As well as being an artist you are a product. List any accomplishments, experience, & highlights of your artistic journey as well as any defining moments that sent you in the direction creatively you are headed. Also sprinkle in little biographical tid bits. The trick is to make yourself look good without seeming full of yourself & your abilities. Good luck!

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 11:20:50 AM »
Basically, you are telling the world who you are and why you make art. Where does inspiration come from? Why does your subject matter appeal to you? Why did you choose your medium? Why do you do what you do?

Stuff like that.

Don't go too overboard on trying to sound too profound. Keep it simple.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline bj

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 01:42:27 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions, my show is downtown next weekend and I have to write a statement in 80 words or less.  If any of you know me, 80 words is not easy ;) 

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 02:27:22 PM »
Oh, a "statement' about yourself.  hmmm.

Try not to do this.

Don't start with a picture of you with your hair blowing in the wind near the ocean side whilst you gaze off into the deep abyss. Then tell them how "as long as you can remember" since you were little, you dreamed of becoming and artist and doing what you love most. Finally, your dream has come true.

Been done way too much.  ::)
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 02:52:45 PM »
Oh, a "statement' about yourself.  hmmm.

Try not to do this.

Don't start with a picture of you with your hair blowing in the wind near the ocean side whilst you gaze off into the deep abyss. Then tell them how "as long as you can remember" since you were little, you dreamed of becoming and artist and doing what you love most. Finally, your dream has come true.

Been done way too much.  ::)

Show a picture of yourself painting in a freezing garret with only a single candle for light and fingerless gloves to keep your hands warm . . .
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline bj

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 08:49:43 PM »
Well, maybe I would sell more than ::)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 09:00:31 PM »
Possibly.  Even more than likely so yea.  Go with the hair in the wind (and freezing with the fingers cut out of the gloves.

Ya know, the # 1 selling subject has been the old barn scenes even in the south in the beach areas. Common, but for a reason. People eat that stuff up. The elitist artist types always laughed at Bob Ross and that type art....Bob died laughing with all the $ he had. So, yea. I can see it making business sense to do the hair blowing in the wind gazing off into the abyss thing.

Offline bj

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 09:17:50 PM »
If I could just sell one so I feel better about spending so much just on the frames...yikes.  I was lucky, I already had a frame for my largest piece so I just had to get frames for all the rest.  I am putting in 15 pieces and will be up for a month so wish me luck.  The opening is next Sat. eve. 

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 09:28:15 PM »
I think we've seen your stuff before. Didn't you post a link. You should again. I remember it being well worth putting in gallery. One of these rich printers here should pony up and buy one to hang in the show room or home.  Ya know, help a member out.  THat Graphics DIsorder guy needs to buy one for his wife to hang on the wall. he's got the Money.  What about that Sam guy. He's always got money. ;)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 09:32:23 PM »
What aboiut that Dan guy with his made-to-order target market here? He must be rakin' it in!  ;D
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 09:38:27 PM »
Oh sure. I'm rich... but I have my walls filled with my own art. :D

No.  Thats a lie. ::)

I don't hang my art on the walls and I got no money for lunch meat. :'(

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 04:44:31 AM »
I don't hang my art on the walls and I got no money for lunch meat.

There's an artist's statement right there . . .
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .