Author Topic: good old days  (Read 3810 times)

Offline Croft

good old days
« on: September 17, 2012, 11:43:49 PM »
Well As I washed some screens out tonight from my MSP3140, triloc and Karcher industrial pressure washer , I was just remembering the good days of shooting screens with  flourecent ( 7 minutes each) tubes in the driveway rinsing with a  hose or $100 pressure washer.  Those were the days.

Wait its 11:30pm DOH!!!

time to go to bed, so much for giving more time. :o

Offline Doug B

• !!!
Re: good old days
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 07:14:24 AM »
And... handcut Rubylith, NuArc vertical camera (antique enlarger before that)...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 08:56:15 AM »
i have a box of rubylith here.  i use it from time to time on random things...and to show people how good they have it. ;)

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 09:09:46 AM »
Waite a minute I shoot screens with 7 minute flourecent tubes, but I have moved indoors. These ARE the good old days I was shootin for when I dropped out  ::) thanks for reminding me I have arrived ;D
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 09:55:02 AM »
Whats wrong with 7 mintues, gives you time to do other things, yeah I upgraded my unit so now I,m getting 2 to 3 mintues to do other things sometimes a mintue LOL

D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 10:10:45 AM »
And... handcut Rubylith, NuArc vertical camera (antique enlarger before that)...

Oh yeah, though my camera was a 22 x 18 horizontal, and a NuArc arc lamp. Rubylith, shading film, I even had to tray develop films when I first started.
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 10:29:18 AM »
  From florescents, moving up to carbon arc.  8)  Positives were made by placing artwork
at the base of an enlarger, exposing with some floodlights from an 8mm movie camera
to make a small negative. Then basically reversing the process to make a full size positive
focusing by eye until the image was sharp.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 10:42:09 AM »

Oh yeah, though my camera was a 22 x 18 horizontal, and a NuArc arc lamp. Rubylith, shading film, I even had to tray develop films when I first started.

All was tray when I started. Of course, especially with halftone work, tray developing allowed for some adjustments and tweaks.
PMT was something I learned in school, but didn't use in this biz at first, but needed  for making mock up positioning stats for layout when I was a temporary fill-in grunt at Rolling Stone.
btw young'uns, it's not just the ease of making positives without a camera that changed, but converting continuous tone to halftones was a process all on its own, with expensive and easily damaged overlay sheets placed directly over the film during the camera exposure process.
Eventually, PMT was all I used in my own dark room. A real space saver!

(Wanna buy my Agfa?) In fact, this is the year I finally pull it out and give to the neighbor who sells scrap! Regain a little more closet space.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 11:20:15 AM »
 Frog; I almost totallly forgot about PMT. I must be getting too old.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 12:38:48 PM »

All was tray when I started. Of course, especially with halftone work, tray developing allowed for some adjustments and tweaks.
PMT was something I learned in school, but didn't use in this biz at first, but needed  for making mock up positioning stats for layout when I was a temporary fill-in grunt at Rolling Stone.
btw young'uns, it's not just the ease of making positives without a camera that changed, but converting continuous tone to halftones was a process all on its own, with expensive and easily damaged overlay sheets placed directly over the film during the camera exposure process.
Eventually, PMT was all I used in my own dark room. A real space saver!

(Wanna buy my Agfa?) In fact, this is the year I finally pull it out and give to the neighbor who sells scrap! Regain a little more closet space.

So, magenta halftone screen for converting color pictures, gray halftone screen for converting black and white photos, with 3 separate exposures, Highlight Bump, Main, and Shadow with a yellow light, damn that was a lot of fun.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 12:57:30 PM »
Boy howdy you guys are old!!!!!! :o

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 04:24:53 PM »
I have no clue what you guys are talking about!  Just think about the next generation who will have no idea what inkjet film was and how it was used. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 04:39:22 PM »
One thing is for sure. Graphics arts cameras notwithstanding, don't throw anything away!
The rich young folks will buy all of your junk as retro-cool! Church key? Oil Spout? Typewriter? Lawn Darts? can you say ebay?

The same lp's (that's long playing records) that I bought for a quarter when CD's took over, are often going for as much as one hundred times that now!(your results may vary  8))
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Croft

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 06:52:32 PM »
Frog; I almost totallly forgot about PMT. I must be getting too old.

I did so many of those I think I have blocked out that time in my life  :o

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 07:20:07 PM »
One thing is for sure. Graphics arts cameras notwithstanding, don't throw anything away!
The rich young folks will buy all of your junk as retro-cool! Church key? Oil Spout? Typewriter? Lawn Darts? can you say ebay?

The same lp's (that's long playing records) that I bought for a quarter when CD's took over, are often going for as much as one hundred times that now!(your results may vary  8))

Reminds me of the time I put an LP on the turntable, cued a track in the middle, and my kid didn't know how I hit it right at the beginning. Had to tell him to count in, then look for the smooth spot that was the space between tracks by looking across the record so you could see the smooth spots.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .