Author Topic: Question on Diesel generateors for Brian (Binkspot) or anyone that might know.  (Read 806 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
I'm looking at a 25kw Detroit Diesel on a trailer for just under 4k.

Do you know anything about these engines?

Think this is a good buy?  I know it's pretty hard to kill a diesel but I imagine it has to be a good one for that to really be true.

Anything I should really ask or look for if I go look at this thing?

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Look at the motor see how many hours are on it, then look up recommended rebuild  time to determine useful life until overhaul. The electronics are  really straight forward for the most part a visual inspection looking for over heating issues discoloration of components cracks or signs of arcing.  You can rent a compression checker to test out each cylinder you want all within a few lbs of each other 10 or less. That will give you a good idea of the engine. Look at the oil is it clean no water in it, no oil in the water no metal.  If it fires up and runs right off the get go  it tells you the injector pump and injectors are prob good, the glow plugs are good and the starting loop is ok. You wont know about wear issues or cooling issues unless its ran with a load for a little bit. The electrical stuff will work or it wont in most cases check all phases. under 4 grand is CHEAP!!! If it looks good do it. You could call a local dealer or mechanic and have em do a once over for about $200. buck I think Caterpillar has a staff that will do inspections most the time they will do it dirt cheap then sell you on a maintenance program which if you are not handy or whatever its well worth it.
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Coyote71

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
Detroit Diesels are a 2 stroke diesel engine. They are prone to accelerated wear as the combustion stroke happens on every stroke up. Wear is twice as fast as a 4 stroke engine. They are good engine. All the tanks in WW2 were powered by these engines. What to look for is oil dribbling out of the bower box vents. This is a sign of piston ring wear. They have twice as many moving parts as other engines. Here in CA, these engines are not emmision legal. Not sure where you are at, but that is something to consider. Anything with that series of engine cannot be sold here and must be sold out of state. May not matter to you if it is for personal use. For what it's worth, those engines were my specialty for 30 years. If it starts up easily when it is cold and does not leak oil, probably a good deal. Good Luck and keep the ink moving.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Detroit Diesel 2-71 with a Delco end, just serviced 4 of them last week. There is a tin shroud held on by two springs covering the back of the generator, pull it off and see if it has brushes or a diode ring. Brushes work fine but can be a pain if it sets for a while. Keep in mind if it has brushes and wired three phase it most likely will be Delta instead of Y which may not agree with your electric depending on how it is set up. When you start it make sure it makes electric instantly, any hesitation indicates the a bad regulator which is easy to change or bad exciter field which is not worth tackling (or you can flash it with a 6volt lantern battery each time you want to use it). If it does not make electric have someone look at it. Take the right side cover off the gen and check the leads, make sure the insulation is not cracking and falling off beyond fixing wit a roll to electrical tape. The engine will run for ever, have seen them with over 50k hours and still start and carry a load. Parts are sill available even though the last one was built in 86. IEC Baylor now make the gen end. Loud as hell. At $4k and it starts, makes electric + trailer it is well worth it. Any questions I'll be glad to answer.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
If your looking for something that big DEPCO is in your neck of the woods and has tons of gens in stock usually, look them up online. I have purchased many from them and always got good deals.