Author Topic: Does anybody know anything about bench grinders?  (Read 1978 times)

Offline inkbrigade

Does anybody know anything about bench grinders?
« on: September 07, 2012, 02:59:32 AM »
I have an 8 inch bench grinder and I got a hold of a buffing wheels to buff our flood bars.
The problem is the spindle on the grinder is really small and the hole in the buffing wheel is very large. Do they make some sort of adapter? I looked around at Home Depot but didn't see anything.
Anyone have any ideas?

http://i.imgur.com/JkYrO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9eq5d.jpg
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 03:02:35 AM by inkbrigade »
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Does anybody know anything about bench grinders?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 07:53:31 AM »
looks like you bought the wrong buffing wheel made for mounting to something else.

Interesting side note once when I was sky diving and having trouble in free fall with getting the chute to open, as the ground war getting ever closer I saw this guy coming up at me from the ground and i yelled to him...DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT PARACHUTES?  he yelled back NO......DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT GAS STOVES? :P
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline virgil427

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 08:36:58 AM »
They used to come with them try your local hardware store, our local ace has them. I looked on Travers tool supply and didn't see them

Offline Printhouse

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 08:56:06 AM »
All of my buffing wheels have about a 1 inch hole with a spacer that takes them down to 1/2 inch or so for the spindle.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 09:36:09 AM »
Mcmaster Carr has them. You need an arbor for the wheel.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 05:13:14 PM »
Mcmaster Carr has them. You need an arbor for the wheel.
I looked at Mcmaster Carr... i don't really know what i'm looking for though. Could you point me more in the right direction? I'd really appreciate it!
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 06:24:42 PM »
MMC 4844A28 is a arbor bushing. If you search that number it will show you all the options to fit several sized wheels and shafts.

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 12:33:08 AM »
MMC 4844A28 is a arbor bushing. If you search that number it will show you all the options to fit several sized wheels and shafts.

Thanks blinkspot! So close.. Sorry to keep asking these questions. I'm not really sure how this stuff works. I looked at the site and from what i can tell it says "Snap-in Arbor Adapter, Reduces 2" to 5/8"

The wheel that came with the grinder says it's 5/8 so we're good on that end..

but the new grinding wheel i have.. the hole measures 3 inches.

So am i correct that none of these will work?

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 11:46:41 AM »
Can you post up a pic of what you are trying to put on the grinder? That might help a bit. McMaster has pretty much everything so its got to be there. Just need to isolate it down.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 12:03:40 PM »
If the arbor hole is 3" then you need a reducer from 3" down to 5/8" I never seen a 3" hole i automatically thought it was a 2 inched. I think they make wheels like that to save on material which depending on the material used can be expensive.
"No man is an island"

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 02:08:27 PM »
They make side end plates for that type of wheel but run $60-$70 a set. May be better to buy a new wheel with the correct arbor.