Author Topic: Ever figure what it cost to tape a screen  (Read 4627 times)

Offline rmonks

• !!!
Ever figure what it cost to tape a screen
« on: September 03, 2012, 07:48:53 PM »
I just ordered some tape from Uline PVC  Tan 3" wide tape I use to tape off the inside and outside of my screens. I just figured this weekend that I can tape 14 screens with one roll of  3" tape, and I figured the cost of that tape and the freight is running me .67 cents per screen. Never dreamed it would cost that much. 

Offline JayzTeez

• !!!
  • Manual Screen Printer
Re: Ever figure what it cost to tape a screen
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 08:53:15 PM »
i only tape the inside of the screen.
Jayz Teez Screen Printing
Houtzdale, PA.

Offline Get Shirts

Ever figure what it cost to tape a screen
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 09:05:14 PM »
Are you using blockout in addition to the tape, or just tape?  Once we stated using blockout we were able to cut our tape use back by more than 75%.  Also, that brown packing tape, or whatever it is, leaves a hell of a mess.

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 10:03:18 PM »
Are you using blockout in addition to the tape, or just tape?  Once we stated using blockout we were able to cut our tape use back by more than 75%.  Also, that brown packing tape, or whatever it is, leaves a hell of a mess.

The PVC tape does not leave the mess that other tapes leave behind, have you got a figure on what it cost to blockout per screen, I may need to check into that as of now I use blockout to fix pin holes.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 10:22:53 PM »
It's not necessarily the "brown"  that is messy, or the PVC that is not.
It's a matter of wanting rubber adhesive rather than acrylic adhesive whether the tape is tan or clear, PVC or polypropylene
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 12:23:06 AM »
Speaking of Andy... I got a case of that tape you recommended.

Only issue I have with it is that if I tear it, it kind of stretches and "bunches"... this causes crevasses and creases for the ink to collect in when you have to wipe a screen (using it to cover pin holes or reggy marks).

Do you just cut it or not use it for anything but taping the inside of the screen?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 01:27:01 AM »
I never tear, I cut from a dispenser. whether for screens, or cartons. The only real difference is I cut in advance when taping screens, and usually off of the dispenser directly when sealing cartons.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 01:39:52 AM »
Can you explain that better?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 07:45:21 AM »
This will probably make some of you nuts but I use a tape dispenser gun when applying to the underside of the screen. Been doing it that way for a couple of decades and never have the teeth ripped a screen.
Much faster and more accurate.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 08:19:03 AM »
Sure, at least I can try.
When I am taping the inside of a screen, I cut from the dispenser, but not as I attach the tape where I am sealing the screen. I do it along the edge of the frame, sort of a temporary "parking place", which I then re-position to where it belongs, sealing the mesh to the frame. I have attempted to illustrate the two steps.

Tony is braver, and, at least on the print side,  uses the dispenser as it was designed, like on cartons. btw, I don't have one of those fancy dispensers with a handle, but rather the minimalist type, that does little more than hold the roll, and provide a cutting blade.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 08:24:04 AM »
"I just ordered some tape from Uline PVC  Tan 3" wide tape I use to tape off the inside and outside of my screens. I just figured this weekend that I can tape 14 screens with one roll of  3" tape, and I figured the cost of that tape and the freight is running me .67 cents per screen. Never dreamed it would cost that much." 

I don't see any amount for labor? Just saying
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:34:29 AM by bimmridder »
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 08:27:57 AM »
Like Tony, I use a dispenser, but a table top type. After training and and actual practice of taping, my guys (gals) can tape a screen with three pieces on the inside and one on the print side in about 40 seconds.   
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:35:07 AM by bimmridder »
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 08:38:59 AM »
Nobody is mentioning the length of the rolls they are using, seems that is an important part?

Anyways I use a generic tape from Nazdar. It is called white blockout 3" wide by 110 yards long for $7.36. Its not the best tape but it works fantastiic, zero residue easy to cut and work with. Compared to blue block out and pretty much all other tapes they all come in 60 yard rolls you cant beat the price!
"No man is an island"

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 09:22:31 AM »
Like Tony, I use a dispenser, but a table top type. After training and and actual practice of taping, my guys (gals) can tape a screen with three pieces on the inside and one on the print side in about 40 seconds.

How does that work?  Where are the 3 pcs going on top and the piece on bottom?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 09:23:21 AM »
Sure, at least I can try.
When I am taping the inside of a screen, I cut from the dispenser, but not as I attach the tape where I am sealing the screen. I do it along the edge of the frame, sort of a temporary "parking place", which I then re-position to where it belongs, sealing the mesh to the frame. I have attempted to illustrate the two steps.

Tony is braver, and, at least on the print side,  uses the dispenser as it was designed, like on cartons. btw, I don't have one of those fancy dispensers with a handle, but rather the minimalist type, that does little more than hold the roll, and provide a cutting blade.

Thanks Andy... so you always use the despenser, just off the screen.