Author Topic: if you were or already have...  (Read 5278 times)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: if you were or already have...
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2012, 09:22:52 AM »
that is the problem I have with them, I love their shirts, and their made in the USA mentality, except a lot of the labor was illegal.  The problem was Dov.  They only ever made the news for the really stupid and offensive things they did.

I just wish Dov would have been forced out, I think he will be the downfall of the company.

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2012, 09:23:25 AM »
  The last 3 times I ordered from AA, I had to get replacements for 2-3 shirts from
each order because of bad stitching, holes etc. I will only use them if the customer
insists and I if have plenty of time to wait for replacements to arrive.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2012, 09:50:21 AM »
I did not see the nip slip so I stand corrected. That is a little to far for most. However their advertising is made to make you talk about it. I am sure that most stuff like this is to racy for the bible belt but it does what they want it to do. It causes a stir. If it offends the prim and proper it just gets them more attention in that market. You guys would be surprised at how many churches out here ask for AA or AA style stuff. They want to try and be up to date fashion wise just like everyone else.

I try not to use them because of their labor practices over what is in their catalog. As a company they are a POS. The stories I hear from our contract customers is pretty crazy. Their shipping cost is absolutely insane some times. I have a customer that drives down an hour and a half just to get his goods because they tried to hit him for 80.00 in shipping and handling on 1 case of shirts.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2012, 10:45:08 AM »
So seeing all the nakedness one could see why i wouldnt want to make AA my shirt line garment. Also my line is going to be geared in the christian faith and a bunch of nipples flying around is in bad judgement on me if I used them. That being said, is there an  American brand garment out there? Im looking for a trendy type shirt, light weight but able to hold plastisol up and be able to print discharge and water based. Like right now im wearing a shirt from Sams club and it feels great, light, water base tight on the arms semi loose in the torso, and a little long, and the washablity is great. I know its not made in american but why not, why can we produce a shirt garment in the states. Another question, is there a way to find out what some brands are using for the their garment choice or do the all use custom manufacturers in mexico or china?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2012, 10:47:55 AM »
Why not?

NAFTA, plain and simple.  All down hill from there.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2012, 10:52:48 AM »
alternative has some pretty good stuff.  they are american made as well

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2012, 10:59:40 AM »
Early on, about oh, 6-8 years ago, while working for my former employer and researching new products, I was at the American Apparel website and noticed those types of pictures.  What was more astonishing and shocking to me, was the fact that they were also posing young girls between the ages of 6 and 14 that same way as well. I was "so shocked" that I then emailed the owner directly.

Once doing so and I asked, "what are you really trying to sell us? What are you trying to get me to look at?"pointing out that he is using children in seductive poses...and asked why he is allowing this, he replied nothing about it and came back with "well, (the company I worked for at the time) uses child labor in 3rd world countries"

Really?  Thats what your going to tell me?  Thats your answer to why you use children in sexual poses ?

The next time I reluctantly visited that website again, I did not see these same types of poses (on the kids).
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline printguy

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2012, 11:01:20 AM »
I beg to differ, Alternative is not manufactured domestically.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2012, 11:05:11 AM »
really?  they used to be, their prices certainly would make one think they are made here

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2012, 11:27:02 AM »
I used to run their print division............... Honduras and Guatemala back then

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2012, 12:16:12 PM »
I used to run their print division............... Honduras and Guatemala back then

We have run into dye lot issues when getting the same color from the two different factories. Plus they like to short ship without notification.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2012, 12:23:52 PM »
Early on, about oh, 6-8 years ago, while working for my former employer and researching new products, I was at the American Apparel website and noticed those types of pictures.  What was more astonishing and shocking to me, was the fact that they were also posing young girls between the ages of 6 and 14 that same way as well. I was "so shocked" that I then emailed the owner directly.

Once doing so and I asked, "what are you really trying to sell us? What are you trying to get me to look at?"pointing out that he is using children in seductive poses...and asked why he is allowing this, he replied nothing about it and came back with "well, (the company I worked for at the time) uses child labor in 3rd world countries"

Really?  Thats what your going to tell me?  Thats your answer to why you use children in sexual poses ?

The next time I reluctantly visited that website again, I did not see these same types of poses (on the kids).

This from a guy working for a company that to this day won't let Donald wear any pants!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ol man

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2012, 12:40:19 PM »
In regards to Alternative apparel -- its the worst---absolutely no consistency in size, cut, die... I have had nothing but bad experiences with them

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2012, 01:11:36 PM »
To my knowledge none of the Alternative merch was ever or currently made in USA. And yes the print division ran into constant issues from different countries of origin.

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2012, 01:32:38 PM »

This from a guy working for a company that to this day won't let Donald wear any pants!
And what exactly is Goofy? he's not a dog because pluto is a dog on all fours and he's not a cow because clarabell is a cow...so what is Goofy??? :o