Author Topic: Ink pick up after flash  (Read 2826 times)

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Ink pick up after flash
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 05:14:26 PM »
Looks great Mike.  Glad it worked out.  Sometimes we psyche ourselves out and just need to print.  Remember it is just ink on underwear.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 05:37:40 PM »
Did you get a peak at the gray screen as far as the white buildup?  I've never had much luck printing directly on a wet white but glad it worked for y'all.  Any reason why you printed the white in front of the gray and not the other way around?  Just asking cause I would have gone gray first, the the UB white.  Just goes to show there is more than one way to murder a cat :)
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 07:55:24 PM »
I will look for the sample we were printing tomorrow where I did try the grey then step on it with the white, the grey looked nasty after being stepped on and did not have the opacity I wanted. It's a much thinner ink no where near as opaque as the white ink.
"No man is an island"

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 10:20:51 PM »
Gotta ask, why not underbase the grey with the white and print it after the flash? 6/8 press?

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:30:15 PM by Inkworks »
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 10:40:37 PM »
After seeing the art I was wondering the same thing.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 12:28:43 AM »
Why? Well obviously the print came out fine the way I did it. But the obvious answer is the grey would not have been flashed and been stepped on or the yellows would have had more stepped on them. Wanted to splash at least two colors before going to the yellows and red.
"No man is an island"

Offline Admiral

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 12:56:37 AM »
good that it came out great but I wouldn't want to print it like that either, what white ink did you use for it?

I get to do 5 screens WOW directly after the flash quite a bit, can be fun at times

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 11:07:32 AM »
Why? Well obviously the print came out fine the way I did it. But the obvious answer is the grey would not have been flashed and been stepped on or the yellows would have had more stepped on them. Wanted to splash at least two colors before going to the yellows and red.

Well,,,, you're right, the finished product looks great!
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 11:00:36 AM »
The fashion soft/softee etc has a different resin than the rest of the "extenders"  this is what gives it a softer feel.  Has very few additives.  Not all "super soft hand" bases are created equal. 

Curable reducer is typically a standard resin and pasticiser mixed together with a thickening agent to achieve a specific viscosity.  Curable as is (as we all know) does not do much to flash times in small quantities.  May or may not be wet on wet ready... that depends on the resin itself.

If an ink will build up normally, adding anything to it to help it print wet on wet will only delay the need to scrape the back of your screens.  This depends on variable like mesh, squeegee, area of coverage, white plate/no white plate, etc..

If an ink builds up it's because of the solids in the mix... not the liquids.  Not all particle sizes are the same... and some are just downright sticky regardless.

That's it for now... gotta run to work.

I have more answers on ink technology if you have questions.

Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.